Still no real improvement!

2 posters

Go down

Still no real improvement! Empty Still no real improvement!

Post by raverhayley Mon Mar 14 2011, 16:37

Bruiser's pulling on the lead has seen no improvement! hes almost 5 months now and gettin harder to control. i stop when he pulls as to tell him we cant go further until he behaves, but when we walk again he carries on pulling. if we see people/dog he goes beserk and literally pulls me over there, i try to stand in front of him and get him to sit and wait, it works only 50% of the time and he ramins transfixed on the people/dogs.
Whatelse can i do? i dont want him to get to full size and be taking me on walks lol!
raverhayley
raverhayley
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Still no real improvement! Empty Re: Still no real improvement!

Post by janey Mon Mar 14 2011, 16:42

Are you using a harness?? Have you tried treats as a distraction when another dog approaches?? also walking in the opposite direction when he pulls, you don't get anywhere quickly but heard this works??
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14 2011, 20:36

janey wrote:Are you using a harness?? Have you tried treats as a distraction when another dog approaches?? also walking in the opposite direction when he pulls, you don't get anywhere quickly but heard this works??

I wouldn't use a harness unless it's one with a front lead ring (on the chest strap) as he'll just pull into the harness easier than with a collar!

By all means try treats as a distraction, but I found that turning abruptly in the opposite direction (although tedious in the extreme) eventually works. It takes you ages to get anywhere, but it will work with 90% of dogs.

If all else fails try a check chain - used properly!
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t3292-check-chains-how-to-use-them

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 15 2011, 01:04

Have you tried the head halti it worked wonders for my lot for a few months while they learnt the basics now on the collar and lead their great.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 15 2011, 08:21

you should maybe think of taking him to training classes. I read somewhere that if they start pulling to stop and walk 3 steps back, if this is done everytime then it should work. No tried it myself, but it may work.
Hope you get it sorted soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down