Health check

3 posters

Go down

Health check Empty Health check

Post by Ticklymac Mon Apr 08 2013, 19:43

Pets at home were doing free health checks today, so thought we'd take our new boy down just to have a wee check over, took Diesel as well just for the run.
Was just a quick wee check over but he seemed fine, she also reckons that he is no older than 2yr old, needin to put a few kg on and of course said about him neutered, which i am still unsure about doin. She said it will "calm him down, make him less aggressive" and then said about the already massive SBT population, but well....hes one of the calmest staffs ive met specially if is only around 2 and so far ive not seen him be aggressive to any other dogs. Also Diesel is spayed so there is no direct issue there. Do you think its irresponsible for me not to get neutered?

Gave Diesel a quick look over too, and to my embarrassment weighed her too Blushing funnily enough she advised she loose some weight! I am tryin and she has lost about 900gs in the last few weeks but findin it sooooo hard to give her reduced portions. If only a could just take it off her and onto him! problem solved Laughing
Ticklymac
Ticklymac
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

Health check Empty Re: Health check

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 19:44

Well i will not be neutering harvey nor future dogs so does that make me irresponsible? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Mon Apr 08 2013, 19:52

oh but Ella think of "all that frustration he'll have, how would you like to have urges and not be able to do anything about it"
that must be what all vets/nurses are trained to say cause thats what my vet said about Diesel getting done and what i got told today too!
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 19:54

ah that little gem Wink

well i think of the health benefits of my boys keeping their balls, so you choose what you would like to do and don't let the vets bully you in to it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 19:56

If you're fine with his behaviour now, I don't see why any attempt should be made to change it! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 19:57

Dempsey's entire & he takes his frustrations out on the cushions! Laughing

Seriously, neutering doesn't necessarily calm a dog down - and who's to say that he wouldn't calm down anyway once he's mature? Dempsey certainly did!

Take your time, read everything you can so that you can make an informed decision.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:05

Nuetering does not calm a dog down, trust me Laughing if anything its made Alfie more hyper!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:05

Was he well behaved? Big Grin the vets always comment on how my girl needs to gain more muscle and lose "a healthy pinch" when it's just her extra skin Laughing - which is silly as they should know not all dogs are the same. I don't think the weight really matters if the dog looks and is healthy an happy! People just advise it/push it more for staffs because of the over breeding and how many of them are in kennels. There's lots of people for and against it and I don't really mind either honestly! Especially since there's no chance of breeding cause your girls been spayed Smile congrats with your two though Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:12

ella wrote:ah that little gem Wink

well i think of the health benefits of my boys keeping their balls, so you choose what you would like to do and don't let the vets bully you in to it!

Well i got tricked into it before by the vet and although i don't fully regret it cause at least i don't have to worry about her gettin caught i wish id waited til she was older and was better informed.
It certainly did not calm Diesel down in anyway! An if he was any calmer he'd be a statue!

So i think its safe to say that unless things dramatically change my new boys balls are safe Laughing
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:13

Do they actually get urges? I've always assumed they have no sexual urges whatsoever unless there's a female in heat. Ah well. Either way, if you like how his behaviour is, I wouldn't change it. Neutering might calm him down, but it might have negative effects on his behaviour. Loki used to be mad, so much messing about and misbehaving, and he still is, but he's calmed down loads, he's much more chilled out now and he's not even one year old yet. So no, it doesn't make you irresponsible. As for aggression...eh Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:16

Neuturing is completely your own choice, if your happy with him as he is and your always responsible in situations with unspayed bitches in heat I don't see the problem in leaving him, it's completely your decision.

Glad to hear their both heathly other than a bit of weight either side! Big Grin
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:17

Ticklymac wrote:
ella wrote:ah that little gem Wink

Well i got tricked into it before by the vet and although i don't fully regret it cause at least i don't have to worry about her gettin caught i wish id waited til she was older and was better informed.
It certainly did not calm Diesel down in anyway! An if he was any calmer he'd be a statue!

So i think its safe to say that unless things dramatically change my new boys balls are safe Laughing

i'm sure he will be pleased Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:19

CodlingKid wrote:Was he well behaved? Big Grin the vets always comment on how my girl needs to gain more muscle and lose "a healthy pinch" when it's just her extra skin Laughing - which is silly as they should know not all dogs are the same. I don't think the weight really matters if the dog looks and is healthy an happy!

Wee pic of them out walking today....shes a wee podgy like, didn't realise quite how much until i saw them together

Health check 2013-04-08112711_zps5d73cf1a
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:22

She's a little cuddle bunny! Love Struck

He looks just about right to me!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:23

He certainly doesn't need to put on any weight, he looks awesome as he is and has a nice waist!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:28

Caryll wrote:She's a little cuddle bunny! Love Struck

He looks just about right to me!

that sounds like something a husband would say to his misses when she's puttin on the pounds! Laughing

gonna get stricter with her food and hopefully now she'l get sum more exercise.

I've noticed in photos he doesnt look too bad, the camera must add a few pounds cause if you see him in real life he looks proper thin, his ribs and spine stick out
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:29

seeing ribs IMO is a good thing and i can see the spine on my two not overly but i can thats a lean dog and nothing wrong with it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:32

Def not irresponsible by not neutering. Logan isn't neutered and won't be. Smile

I prefer a slim/lean dog myself also Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Mon Apr 08 2013, 22:26

I keep mine lean too as visable fat means a good coating around the organs too which isnt good.
as for neutering, if he doenst need it why bother? its not the cure all and can make some dogs worse aggression wise if you take away there only form of confidence. I had Marley done but not for one min would i suggest everyone does unless you take a very very strict evaluation of there personality. its not something you can reverse so it has to be an informed decision you have to be sure that you wont regret.
It does not for one min stop sexual behaviour, I can very very confidently say that with real world observations so if thats what anyone is trying to cure forget it... waste of money. It did however stop his roaming anticts and he no longer tries to jump the fence all the time and his frustration has calmed no end. please dont take mine or any single persons words for it, read up and make your own decision as you know your dog better than anyone so only you know whats best for him.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down