Pink eyes - symptom of neurological problem?

2 posters

Go down

Pink eyes - symptom of neurological problem? Empty Pink eyes - symptom of neurological problem?

Post by canthavethat Sun Apr 07 2013, 13:47

I'll start at the beginning. Couple of months ago, Rocky had conjunctivitis. Cleared up with drops, but whites of eyes have been pinkish ever since. May be related to the conjunctivitis or may be coincidence? Vets can't find reason and steroid drops didn't fix it. It seems worse at some times than others, so I've been trying to identify a pattern in case it's something he's coming into contact with. Have changed washing powder, tried different foods, but have not been able to pin it on anything as yet. It doesn't seem to cause him any discomfort.

Ok so lately he's showing some behaviour changes. The most notable being aggression towards other dogs, he even went for our other dog yesterday. They were play fighting as they do quite happily every day, then suddenly Bailey is squealing and yelping because Rocky has hold of her. Recently this has happened occasionally with big dogs while we are out. Never any blood or major damage, but he is now on the lead at all times in public because of it. Afterwards Rocky just stands there as if nothing has happened, he's not wound up or agitated at all.

Other things, he growled at my son the other day when he was trying to untangle his lead from round his leg (twice) I though maybe his leg or paw was hurt but I checked it was all fine.

A couple of times I think I have seen him walk sideways into furniture, then I watch him for a while, it doesn't happen again so I think I imagined it.

Slight decrease in appetite, sometimes doesn't seem to want his food.

All these things could be either insignificant or have other explanations, but if I put them all together as a bigger picture, especially when I know they are not usual behaviours for my dog, I am starting to wonder if there is a bigger problem?

I will be phoning the vet in the morning to see whether they have anyone who is an expert in this area, but would appreciate other people's opinions. Would you be thinking along similar lines, or do you think I might be a little bit paranoid?
canthavethat
canthavethat
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky, Bailey
Dog(s) Ages : March 2011, Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Pink eyes - symptom of neurological problem? Empty Re: Pink eyes - symptom of neurological problem?

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07 2013, 13:53

It all may be related to conjunctivitis. What you need to remember is that it doesn't just affect the eyes - everything linked is affected, including ears, smell, etc. Ears are key to balance, so the staggering could be linked. Aggression could be due to irritation or pain.

That's a possibility, and I really hope there isn't a neurological problem. Well done for phoning the vet in the morning - that's your best shot, as they can carry out proper tests to determine the cause.

Please keep us updated! >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Pink eyes - symptom of neurological problem? Empty Re: Pink eyes - symptom of neurological problem?

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07 2013, 14:41

agreed with Eleanor , vet is your best option and sounds like you've got plenty of background information for them , good luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by canthavethat Sun Apr 07 2013, 23:46

Eleanor wrote:It all may be related to conjunctivitis. What you need to remember is that it doesn't just affect the eyes - everything linked is affected, including ears, smell, etc. Ears are key to balance, so the staggering could be linked. Aggression could be due to irritation or pain.
That's interesting. Thanks Smile
canthavethat
canthavethat

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by canthavethat Tue Apr 09 2013, 16:52

Update: Had an appointment with the most experienced vet at the practice. She doesn't think anything is related to anything else. Reckons the pink eyes might be just from raised blood pressure as it tends to be worse after food and exercise. I hadn't thought of that. Going to try piriton drowsy for a while just in case it is allergy related, but there are no other signs of sensitivity.

As for the behaviour, well no real answers there, just that she doesn't think it's related to the pink eyes. I guess it could be related to having our other dog around now and him being protective over her, but doesn't explain why he went for her that one time. Guess it's something I just have to keep an eye on. I am certainly more wary and very careful of when and where I let him off the lead.

She gave him a quick check over and a clean bill of health Smile and here's the best bit, turns out they are no longer charging a consultation fee! A trial basis, they say they don't want anyone to be deterred from bringing their pets in. I was amazed. That will be a £25.50 saving every time applause
canthavethat
canthavethat

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Apr 09 2013, 17:03

Great news Big Grin
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 17:09

Nice! Big Grin Really glad she's been given the all-clear!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down