reuben
debtom
Kathy
janey
9 posters

Go down

Update on Extendable Lead Empty Update on Extendable Lead

Post by debtom Thu Apr 04 2013, 14:26

Well it has been a few weeks since I bought the 10 metre lead for Caley after her recall went to pot...things have improved so much, I have only had my arm nearly pulled out of its socket once Laughing

On a serious note though, her recall is starting to work really well, she will still ignore us if she sees someone playing with a football (her favourite thing is a football) but at least we have control of her now so she cannot run off and I succeeded in making her sit and watch people playing football for a few minutes without her trying to get to the ball. In regards to other dogs, she has no interest in them unless they come to her, she comes back when we call her even when they are around. We have now started to let her run around with the long lead dragging behind, so at least we can grab her easily should a situation arise.

Was rather miffed the other day, we went to park and a collie dog (who we have met numerous times before and I have taken a dislike to the fact the owner has no control over it). This collie comes bounding over to Caley and started building Caley into a frenzy, it kept trying to pin Caley and grabbing her neck, you could see Caley was just trying to get away, the flaming owner had then walked off to other side of field, she kept calling her dog but it never returned to her. In the end the OH shouted at the other dog to clear off, to which it did, we were just about to yell at the owner to get her dog. She could see we had Caley on a lead....grrrrr On a good note, Caley never retaliated at all and carried on her merry way as if to say thank god that flaming dog has gone.
debtom
debtom
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Update on Extendable Lead Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Caley
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2 April 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Update on Extendable Lead Empty Re: Update on Extendable Lead

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 14:28

I use one too and they are great Smile

Glad to hear you have had good success with it! Also, well done to Caley for keeping her cool it a heated situation Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Apr 04 2013, 14:30

Great update and I am pleased its working well for you, maybe you could mention it to the collies owner?! Big Grin
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Apr 04 2013, 14:32

Ahhh thanks goodness for the long training lead, dont know where we would be without it.

They really are a God send for recall training, and any other training too. Well done to Caley for not reacting to the Collie.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Thu Apr 04 2013, 14:39

I must admit, I love it. I was never confident taking Caley to the field on my own and letting her off the lead, I would just walk the streets with her, which got quite boring, but now I am happy to go on my own and have no worries. I even spent an hour over there on Monday and really enjoyed it myself, I was even running with her and had one tired and very happy doggy.

As for the collie, I really dislike it, it has the weirdest evil looking eyes lol...I think if I see them again I will definitely mention something to her. Caley is happy with other dogs, a little sniff here and there and off they all trot on happily. This collie just don't know when to stop..
debtom
debtom

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Richardspencer Thu Apr 04 2013, 14:56

Could someone recommend a long line please. I would like one that is as long as possible to allow lola a good run but also to practice her recall. I am just worried that the clip connection to her collar may not be of a quality make so that it may break if she is running full spped when it jerks to a stop.
I have an 8m retractable at the moment which is fine but yould like to get a 50ft line for her to really run around on.

Richardspencer
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 15:22

Richardspencer wrote:Could someone recommend a long line please. I would like one that is as long as possible to allow lola a good run but also to practice her recall. I am just worried that the clip connection to her collar may not be of a quality make so that it may break if she is running full spped when it jerks to a stop.
I have an 8m retractable at the moment which is fine but yould like to get a 50ft line for her to really run around on.

I got mine off ebay and its pretty good quality really! And cheap as well! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Thu Apr 04 2013, 15:58

Are we talking extendable or long training lead here??
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 15:59

Training lead im on about Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Richardspencer Thu Apr 04 2013, 16:26

I mean a long lead/Training lead. I already have a retractable one

Richardspencer

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 16:35

I just bought one from PAH and its fine , sure you can save 3 or 4 quid on Ebay but it's quality is good and I can go and get one now , not in a few days when the post arrives

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 16:37

Dave wrote:I just bought one from PAH and its fine , sure you can save 3 or 4 quid on Ebay but it's quality is good and I can go and get one now , not in a few days when the post arrives

They dont sell them in PAH here Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 16:39

were they not just out of stock ?? they've had them for ages in my local one , only 30 ft though I think

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 17:06

Quite possibly, they only had extendable ones

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 18:02

I have the same one as Ellie uses and it's great. Very well priced and super strong Big Grin

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-ft-Long-Dog-TRAINING-Lead-LARGE-in-Various-Colours-/140555982900?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item20b9ca1834

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 18:14

MatLogan wrote:I have the same one as Ellie uses and it's great. Very well priced and super strong Big Grin

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-ft-Long-Dog-TRAINING-Lead-LARGE-in-Various-Colours-/140555982900?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item20b9ca1834

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Fri Apr 05 2013, 01:03

EllieSmith wrote:
MatLogan wrote:I have the same one as Ellie uses and it's great. Very well priced and super strong Big Grin

thumbs up

Ok, one question, Is there a trick for how to make sure the dog does not pee on the training leash lol, As soon as I let Maxi run around with her leash it ends up between her legs and when she sits down to pee it is all over the leash, and she likes to pee on EVERYTHING!
I would love to have this training lead to practice her recall a bit more but I'm just not too keen on washing the leash after every walk lol
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05 2013, 07:50

Annie and Maxi wrote:Ok, one question, Is there a trick for how to make sure the dog does not pee on the training leash lol, As soon as I let Maxi run around with her leash it ends up between her legs and when she sits down to pee it is all over the leash, and she likes to pee on EVERYTHING!
I would love to have this training lead to practice her recall a bit more but I'm just not too keen on washing the leash after every walk lol

Tbh, not really lol! Logan does it too from time to time. But I can sort of tell when he's gonna go and will start to gather up a bit of the slack to help. Generally however, he does it most times.

I don't mind because it's the only way he can have freedom and I'm just happy he can get a proper run around.

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Fri Apr 05 2013, 10:35

MatLogan wrote:
Annie and Maxi wrote:Ok, one question, Is there a trick for how to make sure the dog does not pee on the training leash lol, As soon as I let Maxi run around with her leash it ends up between her legs and when she sits down to pee it is all over the leash, and she likes to pee on EVERYTHING!

Tbh, not really lol! Logan does it too from time to time. But I can sort of tell when he's gonna go and will start to gather up a bit of the slack to help. Generally however, he does it most times.

I don't mind because it's the only way he can have freedom and I'm just happy he can get a proper run around.

Hehe alright, I just gotta suck it up and wash the lead lol. Gotta figure out where I can this lead over here as well!
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05 2013, 10:40

If you just type in "training lead" into ebay there will hopefully be someone closer to you. The seller I linked will also post worldwide, when I got mine it was a very lightweight package so it may not even cost that much to post over Smile

I contacted him beforehand and had asked how strong is the clasp because Logan is a bit of a brute and he said he makes them specifically for large/heavy dogs. He also made me another 15ft one which he hadn't advertised, so now Logan can come outside while I'm washing the cars Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeNJanine Sat Apr 06 2013, 09:31

i bought the one logan suggested above but bought it of amazon i ordered it yesterday and it came an hour ago, so will be trying my bruno with it today really excited but it seems really strong and good value for money
LukeNJanine
LukeNJanine

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Mon Apr 08 2013, 05:52

MatLogan wrote:If you just type in "training lead" into ebay there will hopefully be someone closer to you. The seller I linked will also post worldwide, when I got mine it was a very lightweight package so it may not even cost that much to post over Smile

I contacted him beforehand and had asked how strong is the clasp because Logan is a bit of a brute and he said he makes them specifically for large/heavy dogs. He also made me another 15ft one which he hadn't advertised, so now Logan can come outside while I'm washing the cars Big Grin

Ah perfect, didn't see that he shipped worldwide, I'll be making an order then! Smile
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 09:21

Annie and Maxi wrote:Ah perfect, didn't see that he shipped worldwide, I'll be making an order then! Smile

Nice one Big Grin

I had a lot of use over the weekend with mine as the fields etc are all very dry. They are brilliant Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoopyfan Wed Apr 10 2013, 07:12

I bought a 50 ft lead on ebay but only used it once so far. Suzy got a bit tangled up in it and then ran round the back of my little granddaughter and tripped her up! She has been in season since then, so only on a short lead. I hope to be able to start using it again soon to help practice recall. Any tips?
Snoopyfan
Snoopyfan
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Suzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6 ish
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 07:58

Snoopyfan wrote:I bought a 50 ft lead on ebay but only used it once so far. Suzy got a bit tangled up in it and then ran round the back of my little granddaughter and tripped her up! She has been in season since then, so only on a short lead. I hope to be able to start using it again soon to help practice recall. Any tips?

When starting off for the first time only give out as much slack as you are comfortable with. When I first starting using it Logan would bite and tug at the lead, but I just gave him 4-5 feet space and as he behaved I gave him more and more.

There is always a possibility that someone could trip on the line (I know I have), so until you and Suzy get the hang of it and feel comfortable it might be an idea to not bring any young kids. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 09:32

It does take a while to get used to... The amount of times ive tripped or been wrapped up in it Laughing but youll get the hang of it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 10:53

They are great but as Ellie says^^^ takes some getting use to lol we've got a 100ft one & a 50ft one, , I got the shorter one for busier placesso I can have a bit more control Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Wed Apr 10 2013, 16:14

That is really encouraging, Debtom.

I ordered one the other day and it should be arriving soon.

Does Caley jump up on people? That is my main problem, as well as fun looking groups of dogs in the far distance that Rupert wants to play with.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Wed Apr 10 2013, 16:25

Caley only jumps up at people when they show her attention, I am forever telling her no, but does not help when the people she jumps up on are like Oh that's OK, she is lovely...lol

It is a work in progress and she is very slowly improving, the excitement just gets the better of her. Caley's main problem is children with footballs, she is so used to playing football in the garden with my younger son she thinks everyone will play with her...bless. As for other dogs, she can take them or leave them.

I would most definitely not be without the long lead now, took a bit of getting used to and have nearly had my arm yanked out of its socket, but have figured it out now and can even let the lead drop on the floor.

Good luck when the lead arrives.
debtom
debtom

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down