Is it wrong

+2
BoroGTI
tanyayuk
6 posters

Go down

Is it wrong Empty Is it wrong

Post by tanyayuk Wed Apr 03 2013, 13:31

My other half thinks it is wrong that I treat my staffie as my baby.... but to me she is.

Have I made her clingey and needy and is that why she scratches herself when I am away and makes herself sore.... She just loves us being at home with her and having cuddles but sometimes she is like my shadow and is 2 steps behind me LOL

Is this bad... does anyoe else treat their pup like this

tanyayuk
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Is it wrong Empty Re: Is it wrong

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03 2013, 13:33

Depends what you mean by treating your dog as a baby. Tongues What sort of things are we talking about here?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03 2013, 13:34

It is possible that the scratchig is from seperation anxiety, espically if she is only doing this while you are gone.

It could also be boredom as well. How much exercise is she getting and how old is she?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03 2013, 13:37

I treat Logan a bit child like at times and I think it maybe increased his separation anxiety. As he got older he wanted more and more space though.

Back to top Go down

Post by tanyayuk Wed Apr 03 2013, 13:40

How old is Logan coz Jessie is 2 1/2 and it seems to be quiet bad at the minute. She hates change in her routine aswel

tanyayuk

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03 2013, 13:43

tanyayuk wrote:How old is Logan coz Jessie is 2 1/2 and it seems to be quiet bad at the minute. She hates change in her routine aswel

15 months now (ish). I have seen a big change in his general behaviour in the past 2 months or so, but this was also in and around the time I started doing more exercise with him. He walks on a flexi lead and plays everyday at the football pitches after walks. So when I get him home he is happy to sleep until morning.

With your new stagbar and filled Kong it'll surely help, but I'd also recommend a bit more exercise as it seems to help with a myriad of behaviour issues Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by tanyayuk Wed Apr 03 2013, 13:49

I feel like just walking her round the streets do nothing she needs to have a massive run and I cant as I worry about other dogs. I will start getting up earlier in the mornings to take her out and if the park is empty let her run like a loon and I will walk her down to the station to meet the OH every evening, surely just doing that should help us a bit - its prob me too as Its cold and dark I havent wanted to go out. I must start doing this, I must for her sanity.

Yep MatLogan New stag bar purchased today and when I get home tonight I will boil up some carrot and potatoe to stuff her kong with.

tanyayuk

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03 2013, 13:49

I'm guilty of treating darcy like my baby! My OH thinks I've lost my mind. Lol

Back to top Go down

Post by tanyayuk Wed Apr 03 2013, 13:50

They are just so loving and effectionante that I couldnt treat her anyother way LOL

tanyayuk

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03 2013, 13:51

tanyayuk wrote:I feel like just walking her round the streets do nothing she needs to have a massive run and I cant as I worry about other dogs. I will start getting up earlier in the mornings to take her out and if the park is empty let her run like a loon

I too worry about other dogs, I'm a big believer in long training leads as it gives plenty of freedom but you remain in total control. They are very sensibly priced and come in all different lengths Smile

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130564745049?var=430028073888&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Back to top Go down

Post by tanyayuk Wed Apr 03 2013, 13:53

Thank you 4 all ur help - I will look into these

tanyayuk

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by BoroGTI Wed Apr 03 2013, 17:19

I dont think its wrong to have a close relationship with a dog but IMO the dog (especially staffs) needs to be totally aware that you arent equalls, your the boss

BoroGTI
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Digby and Matchli
Dog(s) Ages : Both 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03 2013, 17:55

I'd invest in a long line, that way she can run around but you can get her back to you if you're worried about another dog. It's brilliant, I've been using it with Loki for a good while now, gives you the safety while still letting them enjoy the extra exercise.

I don't know if I treat Loki like a baby or not but he's very clingy and hardly ever wants space, but he doesn't have separation anxiety. So I don't think too much affection would make them behave that way necessarily, it's all about getting them used to you being away for a while and making them realise you'll be back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lillypuppy Wed Apr 03 2013, 19:22

I treat mine like my baby it's so hard not to but can't help u on this as mine is fine when left alone x
Lillypuppy
Lillypuppy
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Lilly,Jack
Dog(s) Ages : 8,3
Dog Gender(s) : girl,boy
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03 2013, 19:27

They are kids to me and very sensitive creatures. Last 2 days I have been ripping my office apart to replace flooring etc and this is where they normally spend their time , Tommy sleeping on the floor and Tilly behind me in my PC Chair , they really have not known what to do with themselves and why has everything changed Sad But all sort of back together now and they are back in their spots and very content Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Wed Apr 03 2013, 21:51

i baby romeo alot. he always sits on my lap on busses, he sleeps in my bed i hand feed him stuff... he's super spoilt, but he's also very well behaved and i dont have a problem with the seperation luckily. I mean clearly he doesnt like that i leave, but he doesnt hurt himself or make any disturbances... sometimes he takes his bordom out on my shoes however
Taryn
Taryn
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Wed Apr 03 2013, 21:54

i treat mine like my kids although if i had them they would hate me as being a dad from hell. no crp food, compulseray exercise and having to work for food...yeah human kids would hate me lol
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03 2013, 21:56

Taryn wrote:i baby romeo alot. he always sits on my lap on busses, he sleeps in my bed i hand feed him stuff... he's super spoilt, but he's also very well behaved and i dont have a problem with the seperation luckily. I mean clearly he doesnt like that i leave, but he doesnt hurt himself or make any disturbances... sometimes he takes his bordom out on my shoes however

Agree with you there Taryn , mine definitely sulk when I leave for a few days but they still have the love of mummy and sis . They don't make too much of a fuss of my OH when she returns but thats because she only leaves them for 2-3 hrs a day max, for me it might be a day or a week and for Jenny it's school hours.

Tilly is a saint and I could leave her in a pile of clothes, shoes, socks and she would just make a bed out of them , Tommy would kill the lot through boredom but no separation problems as such

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Wed Apr 03 2013, 21:59

yeah romeo can handle a max of 6 hours with out damage... but i KNOW any time over that is just asking for trouble, so i try not to ever let that happen
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Thu Apr 04 2013, 21:08

my OH moans i baby Diesel, i wouldnt say i baby her, but i do spoil her and she tends to be my number one priority, always make sure i've got time to play with her, do sum tricks then have sum cuddles every day....however she is attached to me on a piece of string and doesn't seem to like her own space which i think might b my fault, thankfully tho shes fine when i go out or go to work, she only gets separation anxiety when i go to the loo Laughing
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down