please help with raw feeding advice for newbie

3 posters

Go down

please help with raw feeding advice for newbie Empty please help with raw feeding advice for newbie

Post by lexiepb Sun Mar 31 2013, 12:46

ok so im convinced on raw feeding, i read the raw info for newbies on the poast with rabits in a bowl

weve worked out based on the 80:10:10 ratio it would be roughly 350g muscle meat 100g bone and 50g offal, dose this sound ok ?

also i had a look at http://preymodelraw.com/ and the section of introducing to dogs
im just wondering how the best way to work up tot he 80,:10:10 is
it says start with chicken and recommends backs so how would i do this for two meals a day ? also i dont really understand meat as im a vegetarian so dont know the cuts something like a back dosent sound like it would have much actual meat on it to me :S so can some one please tell me what i would actually put in my dogs bowl ?

"I recommend adding new protein sources in much smaller amounts than a typical meal, and always with bone"
again what dose this mean always with bone,

it also says chicken only for 7 days then to add in bits bit by bit, i really dont understand how to do this and would really appreciate if some one could just tell me how to go about doing this to get to the point of 80:10:10

i know im being a total div but i really do not understand and really just want some one to spell it out for me in idiot terms of what i need to do and how to do it

please help me
xx
lexiepb
lexiepb
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy & BOBO
Dog Gender(s) : boy and girl
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

please help with raw feeding advice for newbie Empty Re: please help with raw feeding advice for newbie

Post by lexiepb Sun Mar 31 2013, 13:09

also with giving eggs as id like to try this as a treat today how to i do it do i boil it and give the whole egg or crack it raw in a bowl with the shell in too ? x
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

please help with raw feeding advice for newbie Empty Re: please help with raw feeding advice for newbie

Post by lexiepb Sun Mar 31 2013, 13:23

ok ignore the last bit, i just cracked a raw egg in my dogs bowl my girl went mad for it not the shell though , the boy looked at me like 'wtf why isant this cooked' and wouldn't touch it so the girl had his too lol
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31 2013, 20:48

Laughing
Yeah just give the egg raw. Don't even have to crack it, but I found its best to as dogs has the habbit of dragging raw food and eating it away from the bowl. 1st time I tried the egg the dog ran off and thought it would be a good idea to crack it on the living room rug Laughing
I now feed 1 meal a day as I found Blue was starting o leve food as it was too much. This happens to allot of dogs as they get older. When I used to feed 2 meals a day I would feed the bones in te morning and the protein source (Meat) at night.
Allot of the bones you get may have small amounts of meat on them. Thats fine. You don't have to get it bang on 80:10:10 it's just a ballpark amount.

Back to top Go down

Post by lexiepb Sun Mar 31 2013, 21:02

haha i dont think my two would know what to do with a whole egg lol
they drag all sorts in to the lounge as it is we do baby led weanign and they zoom in like hoovers, they both have an obsession with melon incl the rhind its very strange

could you please give me an example of what type of meat and bones you would give,
when i think of bones i think of the type i get form the pet food store some type of shin i think it is, gives them bright yellow runny poo though i dont think its a good bone
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31 2013, 21:21

Where are you thinking of getting your food from?
The bones are normally whats left over that humans don't use. So once a chicken has been stripped the parts we don't eat are chicken necks and the carccus. Maybe ribs, chicken/turkey or even duck wings.
Good places to get food from are

http://www.landywoods.co.uk/
http://www.daf-petfood.co.uk/

and also the butchers. Not many real butchers left but most Halal butchers will strip the animals in shop so you can get that humans don't eat like chicken carcus cheap.
Also I have a chest freezer just for Blue's food as most of the time you buy in bulk. Do you have a freezer you can use for the dogs food?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31 2013, 21:42

With raw feeding there is the 80:10:10 ratio, this doesn't need to be stuck to religiously neither do you have to work out the ratio for each meal or day. I balance their diet over approx. 3-4 weeks to get the right ratio

Heres a list of suppliers for the uk:
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t19502-raw-food-supplier-list

On bones really you can feed anything!

However large leg or weight baring bones from large animals such as a cow femur are not recommended as they are denser then a dogs teeth and could crack or break them

So you can feed anything from little chicken wings, to whole deer and rabbits and everything in between!

Back to top Go down

Post by lexiepb Tue Apr 02 2013, 13:12

Sad i wrote a reply but it didnt post
basically i plan on bulk buying from a supplier to keep in my fridge freezer as we dont reli use the freezer but to start with i was going to use my local butcher till they get used to it
to start on chicken what should i ask my local butchers for, i dont really understand what parts id feed them for meals, could you please give me an example on a days feeding on chicken to start with eg what parts for what meals and how much of each ? i really dont understand all this its confusing to me i just need your gys expert help Smile x
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Tue Apr 02 2013, 13:21

Ask for carcasses, wings, and any other bits they would otherwise throw away.

You really need to do your research, reading up on it you will find out how much to feed. If you start the diet and don't have the basic knowledge you will start to over think everything and may end up stopping the diet. I don't really go with the ratio's I just go by what there poop is like. Some dogs will need more bone than the 10%, others will need less. It's trial and error for the first couple of weeks!

Have a read through that and it has pictures of meals, mostly from Ella but a couple are what my 2 get aswell. For example, today Sierra has half a chicken carcass, a chunk of green tripe and a bit of pork tongue. Bailey has a lamb bone, a chunk of tripe and a bit of pork tongue!
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t19197-what-s-in-the-bowl-today-graphic-photos-raw
StuW
StuW
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by lexiepb Thu Apr 04 2013, 13:25

im currently looking through the whats in the bowl thread

i dont know why but i find it really hard to understand how to do this
maybe cos im a vegetarian
i just dont really understadn meat
i always thought of givign a raw diet would be just beat like breasts steak etc and shanks as chews a chicken carcas looks so scary to me i was always taught not to let our pets have them as a child beacuse they would choke on the little bones etc
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lexiepb Thu Apr 04 2013, 13:33

called my local butchers they said they cant give me things like carcases due to some law or something, they have some one who specially comes to take it away, bugger Sad

ok im going to place a little order online, can some one please advice me what to order
id like to get about a weeks worth of bits just to start them on as i dont know how my boy will react to it, to be blunt hes a massive *, my girl on the other hand is a right bruiser so will probably love it,

can some one tell me what and how much of each i should get for starting them off for one week please xx

Last edited by MatLogan on Thu Apr 04 2013, 14:08; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removing offensive word)
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Richardspencer Thu Apr 04 2013, 16:54

Dont think you are being stupid at all. I am thinking of starting to feed raw and whilst I understand the ratios, I am not too sure excactly how much in total my lola should be eating per day of raw food.

If someone could post a typical weeks shop or exactly what they have fed their dog for a given day that would be really helpful.

Richardspencer
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Thu Apr 04 2013, 17:00

Richardspencer wrote:Dont think you are being stupid at all. I am thinking of starting to feed raw and whilst I understand the ratios, I am not too sure excactly how much in total my lola should be eating per day of raw food.

If someone could post a typical weeks shop or exactly what they have fed their dog for a given day that would be really helpful.

Feed 2-3% of adult body weight daily.

Today Sierra had 1 duck wing and 150g of tripe for breakfast and half a chicken carcass - about 500g.

Bailey is fed once a day and had a 300g beef chunk and a 250-300g tripe chunk.
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by lexiepb Thu Apr 04 2013, 20:05

i think id find it easier if i could just dive right in as apposed to easing them in, its the working my way up bit thats confusing me DH and i worked out meals for the 80:10:10 thing for like once they wer used to it but its the bit between now and then that reli stumps me

i called DAF earlier and had a chat with them, the lady suggested their tripe and chicken mince mix to me, said tripe is the besta dn chicken gives the calcium part that tripe lacks she said its made uo 80:10:10 of meat bone and offal so from what i can gather would be everything just thrown in a blender type of jobby,
giving my two something like this for me any way even if its a start would bemuch easier as i wouldnt have to over think it too much, means my girls wouldnt run the risk of coming in to contact with the bits eather as i dont really want carcases etc being dragged round my kitchen floor as i if my girls drop food i pick it up and give it back to them they also play on it so it just wouldnt be hygenic really

any way getting side tracked
so what im thinking at least as a starting point to maybe build up from is giving them the mince mix and a bone a day, the lady mentioned chicken wings or lamb bones i think this would be a good way to ease them in to it all and build up from the mix to possibly the contents of the mix one day
i just really want them to be eating something healthier than what they are atm

if any one fancied veting it for me this is the mix im thinking of giving

http://www.daf-petfood.co.uk/daf-frozen-dog-foods/52-daf-minced-chicken-tripe-20-x-454g-1lb.html
it says it contains ngredients
Whole Chickens, Wings, Wings, Legs, Beef, Lamb Tripe
so i figure thats gotta be pretty good and then these as treats
http://www.daf-petfood.co.uk/daf-frozen-dog-foods/64-daf-mixed-raw-lamb-bones-5kg.html

the lady suggested 1lb each as a starting point of the mix per day like 750 in the morn 250 at night and i thought they could have a bone at lunch, i know they like those kinda things and i know they will eat mincey stuff, i just think my boys too sissy to figure out chunks of animal lol

its also a bit wierd for me 1 being vegetarian and 2 because at some point i want to have animals like chickens, we wer offered a goat and ive always wanted some pigs ,

i know this diet is whats best for dogs but for me as a person being vegetarin i find it hard esp as i feel like by buying this sort of stuff im contributing to the industry that kills the animals, its a bit less in your face in kibble
xx
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 20:10

Firstly 1lb IS NOT the same as a kg so 750 in the morning and 250 in the evening is ALOT of food

yes you can go the minced route nothing wrong with it if you are going to supplement with bones for the dental

Did you look at the guide here: www.preymodelraw.com

it's the best step by step guide to starting the diet

But yes you must do it gradually otherwise you will end up with a very upset belly and you will probably give up thinking the diet isn't working when actually you are doing it wrong

Also you said you can't do organs, well sorry but they HAVE to have them to have a balanced diet

And don't forget you dog is not a vegetarian Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by lexiepb Thu Apr 04 2013, 20:31

yeah i know 1lb isant the same as kg i was just talking in terms of like 3.4 in the morn 1.4 at night

yeah i had a read of some of the bits on their that's when i got confused and started putting up posts as i didnt understand what it meant

and i know they are not vegetarians and that they would need the organs hence the appeal of a mince mix, like i've said before i can deal with things like liver but hell no am i having a spine/neck/head floating round where my babies live eat and play, if i could feed them outside year round then yeah maybe the gross bits wouldn't be such a issue, but as i struggle to get them to even pee in the rain i dont think theyd dig eating in it

not every one has the iron stomach and emotional detachment to be able to deal with these kinda things,
plus i really don't want my house stinking like an abattoir

Im trying to find a happy medium that gets them what they nutritionally need
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 21:10

BTW the DAF minces are not complete none are completely so you do need to add other things in too

You don't need to feed whole animals or heads, but liver is essential

I have kids here to where my boys eat and noone has ever gotten ill Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 21:29

When I was feeding raw there was no smell at all! Fresh meat/bones don't smell & generally disappear down their gullets so quick they don't get a chance to start to whiff!

I used to give lamb spines (just sections, only about 6 inches or so each piece) and ribs, with the odd larger bone from time to time. Added to that he'd have some raw meat (usually beef, but occasionally lamb & pork), and then a couple of times a week some offal - a pigs kidney or a lump of pig or lamb's liver.

Dempsey only eats in the kitchen, and only in one place in the kitchen. His food was put down on a large plastic mat which was washed thoroughly after every meal.

Back to top Go down

Post by lexiepb Fri Apr 05 2013, 12:24

im happy to do the chunks, like looking through the bits DAF sells, chunks of heart liver etc,
i dont mind givign them gross stuff so long as it dosent look gross eg i couldnt cut up organs myself but can happily deal if their already chopped up in to chunks like i could never give a chicken neck but the chicken neck chunks would be fine

the bit that confuses me on starting them on a whole raw diet of chicken is where it says

Chicken! You’ll want to start your dog off with bone inclusive chicken for the first week. Backs are a popular choice, but quarters are a good alternative if backs are not available. Wings and Chicken Necks are good for smaller dogs.

i dont really understand what it means by bone inclusive, or what backs of chicken are, i just imagine all bone and not much meat on something like that lke a carcas and dont really understand how id break it down for meals etc
if it says necks and wings are good for smaller dogs, could i just bulk order chicken neck chunks and give them those to start them off on chicken ? and from that point on after they have had 7 days of good poo

also where it says
I don’t recommend adding more than one new food in a week’s time. SO for two weeks, feed just chicken. Week three, add a meal of bone in turkey, week four, add a meal of bone in pork, and so on. Moving faster might be ok for some dogs, but rather safe than sorry to make your transition as smooth as possible.

can some one give me an example of what a meal of bone in turkey bone in pork etc would be

also when i start this kinda thing do i need to give 2 meals a day or could i make it just 1 as id rather give them a big raw meal in the morn and a bone to chomp at lunch and nothing for dinner as my girl like to poo in the kitchen at night if she has a big dinner, we either have to give her a big breckfast or give her dinner really really early like mid afternoon to avoid it
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05 2013, 19:34

TBH in your situation i would recommend you stick to a good quality grain feed kibble, as I don't see feeding raw going to suit you

Back to top Go down

Post by lexiepb Fri Apr 05 2013, 20:38

that's not a very helpful comment, i'm trying to do better for my dogs and find the best way around it for our family, just because I'm struggling to understand how to do it right or am grossed out by the thought of aspects of it dose not mean i cant do it, that' exactly why I'm on here because I'm looking for help and guidance to find the best solution
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05 2013, 20:56

actually you will find it is helpful not everyone is cut out for feeding raw and it does not suit every house hold and dog. Which is why it seems like it won't suit you has nothing to do with you being grossed out

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down