strange behaviour

2 posters

Go down

strange behaviour Empty strange behaviour

Post by dbatey88 Thu Mar 28 2013, 21:04

my boy steve is now 14 months old and over the past 3/4 days has been acting really weird. he's always had an attraction to people's shoes but he's been trying to steal my slippers off my feet and when he doesnt suceed he tries to bite the back of my leg. he's made contact a few times but not broken the skin. he only seems to do it to me. I admit i shouted at him and kicked out because it hurt, it didn't seem to make an impact because he keeps doing it. i have sprayed him with a water bottle and sternly told him no, ive put him in time out, ive turned my back an ignored him but i really dont know what else to do. since he started this, he's also been taking himself off to his bed at like 8pm and laying in the dark in the kitchen. normally he'll lay on someone's lap or on his perch in the living room or on the sofa. i know its a dumb question but do you think i should take him to the vet as he's not normally like this at all.

hope someone can give me some advice about him because im worried he might actually hurt one of us soon :/
dbatey88
dbatey88
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Steve & Shelley
Dog(s) Ages : feb 2012 & jul 2011
Dog Gender(s) : male & female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

strange behaviour Empty Re: strange behaviour

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28 2013, 21:06

Im going through exactly the same!! Alfie has cut me, drawn blood and i am absutely covered in bruises. I kept putting him in time out because i had tried everything else but it didnt seem to work. Now i think about it, it has definitely improved so he is obviously getting the message. Just keep at it, theyre not stupid they will learn trust me Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28 2013, 21:14

Has anything changed in his routine? Food, exercise, etc.? Mostly I'd say he's just testing boundaries and being a nuisance. Where do you take him for time out? Is it in another room or is it the place where he sleeps? Just keep up with telling him 'no' and cutting out all contact (but if he continues, put him in another room for a moment). He's still young, it'll take more than a few days for him to get the message.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28 2013, 21:15

Spray some anti chew spray on your slippers, that might help Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Mar 28 2013, 21:15

Yes you just have to be persistent and they will learn, calm and consistent works a treat Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by dbatey88 Thu Mar 28 2013, 21:46

i cant think of anything that has changed in his routine lately, although me and my husband had to leave him with my parents for a few days 2 weeks ago because my mother in law had an emergency and we had to go to birmingham for a few days. but my dad wakes up with him every day and i take over at noon when i finish work.

we bought some anti chew spray, it was the johnson's one, he likes the taste of it :/ so that aint gonna work!

his time out spot is the mat by the front door, his crate is in the kitchen so i didnt want to put him in there close to his bed.

im trying to keep calm about it, tell him sternly and stuff but i did scream at him earlier coz it really hurt! its like he doesnt listen though, he's been steadily getting worse for a week or so now, not listening to us, being aggressive, etc. hopefully he's just being a stroppy git and he'll get over it soon!

dbatey88
dbatey88

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Mar 28 2013, 21:50

Shouting isn't going to help. I know its tough but just be strong and calm, remove him from the situation and time out. Have a spot, mat etc and when he pushes boundaries cause that's all it is, he goes and stays there till calmer.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28 2013, 21:56

I found putting alfie in another room helped because he couldnt see me and he didnt like it, maybe try that if you can?

Back to top Go down

Post by dbatey88 Thu Mar 28 2013, 22:00

i'll have a go, although we only got 2 rooms and the bathroom downstairs...!
dbatey88
dbatey88

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Mar 28 2013, 22:01

Kitchen?
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28 2013, 22:02

Its worth a go, if hes anything like alfie he wont like being away from you even though he knows youre there. When i put him in my room i just say "upstairs" in a stern voice so now, when he starts, ill tell him "upstairs" and most of the time he stops because he knows!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28 2013, 22:10

dbatey88 wrote:i cant think of anything that has changed in his routine lately, although me and my husband had to leave him with my parents for a few days 2 weeks ago because my mother in law had an emergency and we had to go to birmingham for a few days. but my dad wakes up with him every day and i take over at noon when i finish work.

we bought some anti chew spray, it was the johnson's one, he likes the taste of it :/ so that aint gonna work!

his time out spot is the mat by the front door, his crate is in the kitchen so i didnt want to put him in there close to his bed.

im trying to keep calm about it, tell him sternly and stuff but i did scream at him earlier coz it really hurt! its like he doesnt listen though, he's been steadily getting worse for a week or so now, not listening to us, being aggressive, etc. hopefully he's just being a stroppy git and he'll get over it soon!

Try not to shout. I mean, I get it, because it hurts. Loki hurt a lot, it does get annoying, dogs don't get 'angry' like we do, so when we get angry and shout at them, they get confused, because when they get told off by other dogs, the other dog does it in a calm way rather than getting emotional. So he's probably confused by it. Put him in another room for a minute or two. Staffs are very affectionate and love to be around people, so having no contact with you will make him learn quicker. He's not being aggressive, he's just being annoying and being the dog version of a moody teenager slamming doors and shouting at you. It's frustrating, but you'll come through the other side and all be happier and closer for it Smile just make sure you try to stay calm and be consistent with him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down