foliculitis - he's not bothered by it

5 posters

Go down

foliculitis - he's not bothered by it Empty foliculitis - he's not bothered by it

Post by Pink_Floyd Tue Mar 26 2013, 18:15

Floyd has had a spotty neck for a couple of weeks now. It started after a particularly rough playdate when the other dog made a right mess of Floyd, his face, shoulders and neck were covered in scabs and punctures and he's still covered in bald patches where the scabs have healed! Anyway, the spots erupted a few days after and after ruling out a collar allergy and trying antihistamines we trotted off to the vets this morning.

She had a good look at the pustules on the underside of his neck (its all red under there too) she said its foliculitis, as I suspected, and some of the hair bases looked a bit yellow meaning a small chance of dermodex Sad

So we've got antibiotics and I've ordered a medicated shampoo for his neck and back to the vet in a week.

He's on top quality kibble barking heads 'tender loving care' and treats are meat or barking heads biscuits with the odd pizzle as a surprise.

Just having a moan really as I feel really bad for him and don't like feeling the pustules when petting him. He has a couple of spots in his armpits and these are the only ones he scratches and not very often at that.

Hoping there's no dermodex anyway, I understand the treatment is long! the vet will check him again in a week anyway once the anti-bs have started working.
Pink_Floyd
Pink_Floyd
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Floyd
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

foliculitis - he's not bothered by it Empty Re: foliculitis - he's not bothered by it

Post by Kathy Tue Mar 26 2013, 18:31

Awww poor Floyd, has the owner of the other dog offered to pay towards the cost of the treatment ??

Well done for choosing a good food, that's exactly what Rocky has and has done very well on it. He seems much calmer since we put him onto this food.

I hope you soon start to see some improvement in his condition.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

foliculitis - he's not bothered by it Empty Re: foliculitis - he's not bothered by it

Post by Jackieb Tue Mar 26 2013, 18:32

My boy had foliculitis a few weeks ago.
Spots on top of head and neck.

He had 4weeks of antibiotics.

Skin scrapes n hair plucks to rule out Demodex n other nasties which all came bk clear.

Tank lost fur on his head - which has grown bk.
But he's also on garlic n fenugreek tablets, viatucan supplements, apple cider vinegar, vitamin b complex and coconut oil daily ! This is to maintain his immune system and improve skin n coat condition.

Good luck with the antibiotics. Bare in mind it may get worse before getting better, and generally 3-4 wks of antibiotics are usually needed to knock it on the head x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Mar 26 2013, 18:33

Well your on the right course of meds now so I really hope it clears up for Floyd. Happy healing and positive thoughts Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink_Floyd Tue Mar 26 2013, 18:37

We haven't seen the other dog since the playdate and I don't know if I'll bring it up. Floyd's insured anyway and 4 weeks of antibiotics will definitely be over the excess so the treatment isn't going to break the bank, just weigh down my credit card for a bit.

Seems typical of Staffordshires not to complain, he's not down or acting mopey like my parents collie x would...even when the other dog was dragging him round by his ear (all 20kgs of him) he didn't squeal.
Pink_Floyd
Pink_Floyd

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink_Floyd Tue Mar 26 2013, 18:38

I have seen loads of recommendations for Apple cider vinegar on here and am looking into it!
Pink_Floyd
Pink_Floyd

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Tue Mar 26 2013, 21:23

awww this must be hard for you so just talk away Smile

well same as janey you are on the right track and in no time this should be a thing of the past Big Grin

please keep us updated
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum