Skin/hair problem need advice please

2 posters

Go down

Skin/hair problem need advice please Empty Skin/hair problem need advice please

Post by millygirl Tue Mar 26 2013, 02:40

Hi all thanks for reading...

I got Milly from the local pound three months ago, she was sick... deep jaw/neck abscess from dogs attacking her ( they were put in all together if they looked like they got on at first)

Anyway took to vet antibiotic etc he shaved a small patch under chest and under neck to obsere as there was a small roundish bald patch I hadn't noticed. She also had small crusty pathes on elbows with some small spots of red.

He said it was probably staph. but pound wouldn't pay for treatment even though it was there when I bought her , had been vet checked. Said antibiotics given for abscess would probably cover that too.

Anyway she got better from abscess and the patch on chet did erupt in small blisters like staph. Same elbows would heal and erupt again.

But now she has lost hair after desexing about 6 weekds ago. General fast thinning in last couple of weeks, from abdo moved down to under tail and around back end/inside legs creeping up in a regular 'tide mark' line. Thought I was imagining it at first but def not. Started scartching around neckcouldn't see any fleas or rash .. on advocate... but today checked her colar area and she has lost hair and small open areas ? from nails scratching. Has lost hair but not like a regular pattern type on her back end. She also has lost complete hair in streaky long line last couple days, no sores just hair loss under chest near area vet shaved.

Sorry this is long...she is now healthy, playing etc just new hair loss and quickly developing new areas on chest, neck undercarriage! And th staph sores on her elbows i have asked vet several times he just gives impression im a neurotic female as if Im imagining them! So yes i will take her to a new vet. Any great ides anyone?

millygirl
millygirl
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Milly
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : female spayed
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Skin/hair problem need advice please Empty Re: Skin/hair problem need advice please

Post by Guest Tue Mar 26 2013, 02:45

Sorry, I can't give any suggestions because I don't have any experience in these things, but definitely sounds like a new vet is needed. Hopefully you can get more answers (when more of our members are awake!) and she'll be back to normal soon Smile sorry I can't be of any help.

Back to top Go down

Skin/hair problem need advice please Empty Re: Skin/hair problem need advice please

Post by millygirl Tue Mar 26 2013, 03:05

Haha yes I am originlly from Manchester and just realise most of you are asleep! Hope to get some aussies on here too as skin probles different probably here. Thanks
millygirl
millygirl

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 26 2013, 03:37

Could you post a photo of the hair loss? It is often easier to get an idea when you can see it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 26 2013, 03:41

one thing thats great for hair loss and dry skin is to rub coconut oil into it, also on scabby bits and you can use it as often as you want

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 26 2013, 07:58

I would be leaning towards getting a 2nd opinion from a different vet too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 26 2013, 10:09

Second opinion!

It sounds like an allergy, probably food based, but a scarpe really needs to be done to rules out mites. Maybe even blood tests to rule out thyroid problems.

What are you feeding her, does the food have a lot of fillers such as wheat & other cereals?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Mar 26 2013, 10:52

I was just about to ask the same question as Caryll has above, this may be a food related allergic reaction ?

A photo will help us though to ID it.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by millygirl Tue Mar 26 2013, 22:53

Well thank you ...now I just have to work out photo upload! Tried yesterday so will have another go today after slept....worked night shift.
millygirl
millygirl

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 26 2013, 23:44

No worries Big Grin Just ask if you need help..

Could you also answer what do you feed her??

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down