janey
Steve
amylovesnicky@hotmail.com
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2 * fighting!  Empty 2 * fighting!

Post by amylovesnicky@hotmail.com Fri Mar 04 2011, 18:21

please can someone give me advice, i have 2 female staffs, baby 3 1/2 years & ruby 7 months, we have had both dogs since they was 8 weeks, never had a problem before! Tuesday we went and got them some chews they had one each and was playing as usaull and all of a sudden started ripping into each other felt like they was going at it for hours my partner struggaled to split them and it took about 4 mins there was alot of blood and the smaller dog (ruby) ended up with a fairly bad wound to her ear, i was terrified! yesterday afternoon partner took them for a walk in the park 1 of them found a ball and they ended up going for each other, yet again today (fri) they have gone for each other again and now every time they see each other they start growling and trying to get at each other, we have got 1 shut in kitchen and other in the front room. I have also got 3 children under 5 and i am really worried they could end up hurt between theses dogs. the younger dog ruby has just started her 1st period although we intend on getting them both spayed, partner upset at the thought of having to give up one of the dogs as he loves them both so much, im scared to move incase they go for each other, really dont know what to do any advice will be grately appreciated? will this problem go away? or is the only answer to get rid of one?

New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

2 * fighting!  Empty Re: 2 * fighting!

Post by Steve Fri Mar 04 2011, 18:28

it's because they fighting who the pack leader, have 2 same sex of dog is alot of hard works you may have to keep them apart.

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Mar 04 2011, 18:30

getting them both spayed may help are they fighting all the time? you can alway get a crate for while you out

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Mar 04 2011, 18:33

I'm sorry haven't a clue on keeping 2 dogs, it must be pretty scary. Same sex dogs can be kept together but as Steve said its harder work. Sure someone will come on with some advice though soon. Welcome to the forum.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 22:02

I wouldn't have 2 of the same sex, but that isn't helping you!

The only thing you can do is keep them completely apart for a while & then try to reintroduce them gradually & under controlled conditions. If that doesn't work, you may have some tough decisions to make. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 22:33

Caryll wrote:I wouldn't have 2 of the same sex, but that isn't helping you!

The only thing you can do is keep them completely apart for a while & then try to reintroduce them gradually & under controlled conditions. If that doesn't work, you may have some tough decisions to make. Sad

My 2 were like this even tho they are different breeds but by stopping it straight away and being persistant with it, it has got alot better, hope you get it sorted.

Back to top Go down

Post by amylovesnicky@hotmail.com Sat Mar 05 2011, 09:37

About 20 mins after i posted this dogs went for each other and my partner was at emergancy vets till 1am as the other dog had ripped ruby (smaller dogs) throat open! need help now to re home ruby any ideas? x

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 05 2011, 09:46

i am sorry i cannot help, but i hope ruby is ok, and good luck re-homing her

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley109 Sat Mar 05 2011, 10:04

get in touch with your local staffy recsue. (google it) and ask them for advice!!

where are you in the world??
Hayley109
Hayley109

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Logan
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 05 2011, 10:08

Oh dear how awful. If u have to rehome then definatley get in touch with your nearest sbt rescue or sanctuary they will spay ur bitch and find the best possible home for her x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 05 2011, 12:00

As above, you should contact your nearest SBT rescue. If they can't take her, they may know someone who can.

Good luck, I really feel for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Mar 05 2011, 14:18

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/listofrescues.html

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sooz225 Sat Mar 05 2011, 14:28

hya been reading the thread and omg u must be heartbroken, i will take ruby for you, i have a male, 5 yrs old, terrified of cats birds, spiders and minature dog breeds lol, even if you want to rehome her for a wee while i can accommodate if you want xxxxx
sooz225
sooz225
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
2 * fighting!  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jake, Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tys mummy Sat Mar 05 2011, 14:51

Yay go me lol I hope if you do rehome her all goes well for all concerned. Big Grin
Tys mummy
Tys mummy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ty
Dog(s) Ages : 3 Years
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by amylovesnicky@hotmail.com Sat Mar 05 2011, 16:39

The thing is youve got another dog and she may fight with that one? its just a really awful time me and partner upset kids crying what am i meant to do? feel like im the bad guy, partner sees she has got to go but is reluctent in actually letting her go. doesnt want her to go battersea or rspca n wants someone to take her and provide her a loving home and not get rid when it suits we want her to have a loving home. dogs been kept completly apart since last night when all this happened i dont know if thats the best thing but cant risk either of them getting hurt. btw im in sydenham.

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by amylovesnicky@hotmail.com Sat Mar 05 2011, 16:40

p.s just relised your in glasgow your miles away! lol....x

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by sooz225 Sat Mar 05 2011, 17:07

well yeah am in glasgow but if its knowing your dog is going to a good home then distance doesnt matter, (she says looking for a map to find out where sydenham is)!!! The offer is there if you are stuck xxxx
sooz225
sooz225
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
2 * fighting!  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jake, Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 05 2011, 17:45

I think Susan can offer a great home and i'm really confident in Ruby not fighting with her male because he is a male, Ruby is only 7 months the fighting was caught at an early age to be rehabilitated but not with your older dog as she also seems to be the instigator and atleast with you and Susan being on the same forum updates shouldn't be a problem i would think.
Its just my opinion but if you choose not to go with susan there are plently of no kill staffy rescues

Back to top Go down

Post by princesslou Sun Mar 06 2011, 01:15

Different sexes get on great, i have heard that you shouldnt really have two females & Aparently two males is better than two females. Tyson adores Paris to bits.
princesslou
princesslou
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Paris & Tyson
Dog Gender(s) : M/F
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Mar 06 2011, 21:01

Hiya I don't think you have any option but to rehome as things will not improve the younger bitch will try to dominate the older and the older will not put up with it so your left with the constant seperating and is that a fair way to live for either dog. This is so unfair for you and your family to live on edge like this you need to make a decision soon its going to go worse as your younger grows more she will put more into the fight. The reason its probably started is cause of the younger having her season and to be honest having them both spayed might not make any difference but you could try by reintroducing slowly maybe on a walk both on lead and at home with a gate between them but I don't think you can trust them now to be honest as they have had too many goes at each other. I have 2 and would never get same sex and this is why I have a dominant dog and he gets on great with my bitch and never had a problem now another dog would be a bloodbath so for me that's my lot peace and harmony and a happy home mean everything so good luck I really hope you find a solution my heart goes out to you. Ps not all staffords can live alongside another they are people pets and this is not your fault
thing
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by nsgdm1 Wed Apr 06 2011, 15:08

We have 6 Staffies ,3 male ,3 femal ,not had too much trouble with fighting luckily ,but there have been times when you can see a bit of tension building,if you can spot the signs the best thing is to have a spray bottle of water ,a quick squirt seems to distract them and take away the tension.
If they do start fighting the best thing is to lift their back legs off the ground and gently pull on the tail ,but make sure you are not in the way just incase,this should confuse them and calm them down (if there is only one of you present it should be ok do it to one dog and shout command loudly they should both stop )
The other thing that i have heard definately works but haven't tried ,(will leave it to someone else to try Smile ) is to shove a finger of pencil up the dogs bum ,apparently this is guaranteed to work , but try lifting legs first Smile .
It is true that * are worse than males when fighting ,apparently they will just keep going to the end ,luckily ours seem to get on well together but you never know.
hope this helps and good luck .

nsgdm1
nsgdm1
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Archie , Skye ,Ollie ,Beauty ,Giggsy , Sugar
Dog Gender(s) : 3 dogs 3 bitches

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06 2011, 17:06

Two of the same sex is always going to be harder then opposite sex pairings. You can do crate and rotate (always have one dog in a crate or in the other room, never have them out together). I know a lot of people that do that with Pit Bulls and it works out really well. If you aren't willing to crate and rotate, I would definitely rehome one of the dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06 2011, 20:47

Which finger? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Wed Apr 06 2011, 20:57

BlueStaffBlue wrote:Which finger? Wink
Ha ha when they are in full flow you can stick all ten up and they probably wouldnt notice Laughing Laughing
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06 2011, 21:04

gem wrote:
BlueStaffBlue wrote:Which finger? Wink
Ha ha when they are in full flow you can stick all ten up and they probably wouldnt notice Laughing Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing

No they wouldn't Laughing

A breaking stick is what I was advised to get + what I have now, never had to use it thank God + hope I never will.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06 2011, 21:39

Break sticks don't work. Other than to cause injury.

You need to know how to use them, and you need at least two people present.

I saw one used by a guy who was very experienced & had owned staffs for many, many years. The dog's jaw was dislocated & he broke 2 teeth. As soon as the injured dog let go because his dislocated jaw could no longer hold on, the other dog went in for the attack. It was horrendous & I vowed there & then to never use one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06 2011, 22:37

Caryll wrote:Break sticks don't work. Other than to cause injury.

You need to know how to use them, and you need at least two people present.

I saw one used by a guy who was very experienced & had owned staffs for many, many years. The dog's jaw was dislocated & he broke 2 teeth. As soon as the injured dog let go because his dislocated jaw could no longer hold on, the other dog went in for the attack. It was horrendous & I vowed there & then to never use one.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Not going there with you, we've had this conversation before. Yes it is helpful with more than 1 there + yes you have to keep your cool, but no reason why jaws needed to be broken or teeth lost, have a look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mevd_GETOKM

Hope it comes out ok Laughing

He even tells you what to do if you're on your own handling 2 dogs. AND agrees with me, never pull a dog by its back legs xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06 2011, 22:47

zetstaff wrote:Not going there with you, we've had this conversation before.

Oh, yes, I forgot that!

(I still say they don't work! Big Grin )

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Wed Apr 06 2011, 22:59

Sad wow i just read this post and really feel for you. I hope that Ruby is ok and do agree with the rest that re-homing would be the better option painful though it may be. Good luck with everything and let us know how it goes Smile
Jess
Jess
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tiny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06 2011, 23:55

I've never heard of a break stick breaking the jaw of a dog!! That's terrifying!! He must have been using it really wrong!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 07:54

I just got a bread stick from Tesco's and Blue ate it in 5 mins. Think I'll will have to give the back legs technique a try

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 08:57

CatStina wrote:I've never heard of a break stick breaking the jaw of a dog!! That's terrifying!! He must have been using it really wrong!!

That's what I was thinking, used correctly there's no way you could do so much damage !!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 09:42

The thing is, the dog wouldn't take the stick! So he had to lever it up & down with some force to make it work. That's what did the damage.

All I'm saying is that if you've never used one, all the videos etc in the world won't help you. It isn't anywhere near as easy as it sounds. For a start you have to straddle the dogs (or if there's only one of you you have to tie one up!). Sure, they'll stand still to let you do that!

Then you've got to insert the stick behind the molars & twist it, the idea being that the dog will bite the stick instead of the dog! Have you ever seen a fighting dog? You can't see the molars, let alone get to them. And what if the dog still has enough awareness that he knows exactly what the stick is, and still won't let go of the other dog?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 09:50

The stick is to be inserted in the gap between the molars, if turning the stick didn't open the jaws then it was not the correct shape or size

Too right I'd get someone else's dog off my dog first using one, then I'd set about releasing my own dog Smile

I know we'll never agree about this Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 10:05

zetstaff wrote:The stick is to be inserted in the gap between the molars, if turning the stick didn't open the jaws then it was not the correct shape or size

Too right I'd get someone else's dog off my dog first using one, then I'd set about releasing my own dog Smile

The stick isn't supposed to 'open' the molars, it's supposed to get the dog to release its grip on the other dog & bite the stick instead. A round stick won't open a staff's jaws!

No, we'll never agree, but whether it works or not, let's hope neither of us ever need to use one!

By the way, do you remember me saying there were a couple of people on BBO that I've crossed swords with in the past? Well, one of them's found me & he's causing trouble already. I've stayed reasonably polite so far - congratulate me! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 10:16

Caryll wrote:
zetstaff wrote:The stick is to be inserted in the gap between the molars, if turning the stick didn't open the jaws then it was not the correct shape or size

The stick isn't supposed to 'open' the molars, it's supposed to get the dog to release its grip on the other dog & bite the stick instead. A round stick won't open a staff's jaws!

No, we'll never agree, but whether it works or not, let's hope neither of us ever need to use one!

By the way, do you remember me saying there were a couple of people on BBO that I've crossed swords with in the past? Well, one of them's found me & he's causing trouble already. I've stayed reasonably polite so far - congratulate me! Big Grin

The stick is supposed to open the molars, that's what it's for Laughing

I'm extremely proud of you for being so polite, where have they found you on here or there?

tellmetellmetellme Laughing Laughing Laughing I want to see the entertainment Laughing Laughing Laughing

Who is it? you can pm me Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 10:26

On BBO.

His username is Carlson. I don't know what user name he used on the Bully Forum, he doesn't seem to want to tell me!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 10:29

zetstaff wrote:

"How to Break Up a Fight
If one of the dogs has a grip, it’s time to use a break stick.

It is best if there are two people to break up a fight, but you can do it by yourself if you have no choice. If both dogs are fighting and you are alone, you might need to tie one of the dogs to something solid. When one of the dogs is tied up, you must "break" the one that is not tied first, and pull him/her off right away.

Walk over to the dogs, straddle one that has a hold, and then lock your legs around the dog's hips just in front of the hindquarters. Make sure your legs are locked securely around the dog. Your break stick will be in one hand, so with your free hand, grab your dog firmly by his collar and pull upward slightly.

Insert your breaking stick behind the molars where the gap is found. Sometimes you need to work the stick in just a bit if the gap is small. The stick should be inserted from ½ to 1½ inches into the dog's mouth.

Turn the stick as if you're twisting the throttle of a motorcycle. . If This action will cause the dog to readjust its grip, and it will bite onto the stick, releasing the other dog. If both dogs have a hold, you will then have to break the second dog from the first."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 10:34

Caryll wrote:
zetstaff wrote:

"How to Break Up a Fight
If one of the dogs has a grip, it’s time to use a break stick.

It is best if there are two people to break up a fight, but you can do it by yourself if you have no choice. If both dogs are fighting and you are alone, you might need to tie one of the dogs to something solid. When one of the dogs is tied up, you must "break" the one that is not tied first, and pull him/her off right away.

Walk over to the dogs, straddle one that has a hold, and then lock your legs around the dog's hips just in front of the hindquarters. Make sure your legs are locked securely around the dog. Your break stick will be in one hand, so with your free hand, grab your dog firmly by his collar and pull upward slightly.

Insert your breaking stick behind the molars where the gap is found. Sometimes you need to work the stick in just a bit if the gap is small. The stick should be inserted from ½ to 1½ inches into the dog's mouth.

Turn the stick as if you're twisting the throttle of a motorcycle. . If This action will cause the dog to readjust its grip, and it will bite onto the stick, releasing the other dog. If both dogs have a hold, you will then have to break the second dog from the first."

I can't find what I was reading now, but I'll have a look later

Had a quick look on BBO you'll have to point me in the right direction Laughing presumably he's on Bullys + not SBTs ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 10:37

Click on this link & you'll see....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 10:45

Caryll wrote:Click on this link & you'll see....

Oooooooh I'm going to keep an eye out now Laughing

You are very restrained, at the moment Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 10:46

...........at the moment. >Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 16:01

I'm sorry but i would never use a break stick why risk it, the best thing to do it lift both dogs up off of the floor (two people required) and let the dogs hold each other. up off the floor they can not shake and do the most serious damage and adventually they will let go, Twist their collars (choke technique) Another one i'v recently heard of is lemon juice up the nose or in the eyes its guna sting like hell and they will let go then you just have to wash it off your dogs etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 20:52

MissRogue wrote:I'm sorry but i would never use a break stick why risk it, the best thing to do it lift both dogs up off of the floor (two people required) and let the dogs hold each other. up off the floor they can not shake and do the most serious damage and adventually they will let go, Twist their collars (choke technique) Another one i'v recently heard of is lemon juice up the nose or in the eyes its guna sting like hell and they will let go then you just have to wash it off your dogs etc.

I'm sorry, I know I'm new here, but squirting citric ACID up a dog's nose or in its eyes is an absolute no no for me.

It's so important that these things are debated, how would you get your baby out of a situation if there's only you + your dog/s ???
I personally welcome any stirling ideas, but for me the 'acid test' is downright cruel

I'm sorry but I'm glad I'm not a dog in your house Sad

And not wanting to be inflammatory, but who the hell carries a Jif lemon with them on their walks ? Or a lemon + a squeezer ?

I'm not going to get on an orange box about the rest, + I really don't mean to attack, but lemons=NOOOOOOO

xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu Apr 07 2011, 21:02

Have you been causing trouble Caryll ha ha not like you at all Big Grin
I was once involved with a dog fight and witnessed the red mist the vacant stare and would never like to go there again.
I have to admit I just cacked me pants then did managed to seperate on my own (dont ask me how) but I have scars were I got caught at the end.
I think if you feel confident in using the break stick then its by far the quickest way.
Hope im never in that situation again but I feel id be more prepared if ever there was a next time nothing can prepare you though Sad
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 21:08

gem wrote:Have you been causing trouble Caryll ha ha not like you at all Big Grin
(

NO!!! Not me. Blushing

It was a guy on the bully forum who thought that the 'old style' bully was way better than the 'new style'. That in itself is fine - each to their own opinion. But he insisted that everybody else's dog was crap because it didn't look like his!

Then he had the nerve to say that Dempsey was fat! Surprised angry I wasn't a very happy bunny! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu Apr 07 2011, 21:21

And how dare he say that about Dempsey cheek Big Grin
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 21:24

Caryll wrote:
gem wrote:Have you been causing trouble Caryll ha ha not like you at all Big Grin
(

NO!!! Not me. Blushing

It was a guy on the bully forum who thought that the 'old style' bully was way better than the 'new style'. That in itself is fine - each to their own opinion. But he insisted that everybody else's dog was crap because it didn't look like his!

Then he had the nerve to say that Dempsey was fat! Surprised angry I wasn't a very happy bunny! Big Grin

He's the rudest person in the world mate, + if he ventures on the SBT forum I'll send him away with a flea in his ear GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

x

Sorry just editing to say how dare he say anything about the gorgeous Dempsey angry angry angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 21:26

He wouldn't come on here, I don't think. He didn't think much of present day staffs either! He was on a one man crusade to change the world ('s bull breeds!) Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 22:27

Adds another person to his list of people he must bore to death. Slate our Dempsey and he shall pay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next