change in behavior meeting new dogs

2 posters

Go down

change in behavior meeting new dogs Empty change in behavior meeting new dogs

Post by Girly Thu Mar 14 2013, 18:42

hi again! Jelly is just over 1 year old, and has always been very submissive with other dogs. when she meets them she gets on her back, lets them sniff her, is very calm and timid, etc. Lately, just in the last week or so, I've noticed that when she meets new dogs her size or bigger, she bears her teeth and even nips. She never makes contact or actually tries to bite, though. It's only when she's on her lead/harness as well. If off, she is normal, friendly, playful, loves to run with other dogs, plays with them, etc. Prime example, yesterday she was being weird on her lead, but the minute I took her off, she was playing like normal and even submissive again.

Strangely, she's ALWAYS submissive with puppies or smaller dogs.

She's spade, so I don't think any of that is an issue. Happens with both sexes as well, not just girls or just boys.

thoughts please? thanks!
Girly
Girly
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
change in behavior meeting new dogs Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jellybean
Dog(s) Ages : born 6 Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

change in behavior meeting new dogs Empty Re: change in behavior meeting new dogs

Post by Girly Thu Mar 14 2013, 18:47

also, she spends a lot of time with other dogs and always has. her pet sitter has a big golden retriever and 3 other small dogs, and also sits a boxer, a schnauzer that she loves to play with, some other fairly large dogs... we walk her off lead in parks so she can play with other dogs...

this new thing is just weird. is it some bizarre teenage phase?
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

change in behavior meeting new dogs Empty Re: change in behavior meeting new dogs

Post by Guest Thu Mar 14 2013, 18:50

As they grow older, their personality changes, particularly towards other dogs. Maybe it's frustration that she's on the lead, I've read that can have that effect on some dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Thu Mar 14 2013, 18:54

probably so. that makes sense. she usually bites her lead when she's frustrated, and/or barks at us but that hasn't been happening as much. maybe she's replacing it with this.

I've been telling her off and even giving her a little tap on the nose when she does it, though. Not sure if that's right, but it gets her attention and she looks at me like OK I knew that was bad and it stops her a bit, but not entirely.
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 14 2013, 18:57

Hi, I had an similar thing with Logan when he was about that age too. When they start to mature they can develop certain issues around other dogs.

Tara is right in saying that some dogs real trapped or restricted on lead and it can lead to nervous or defensive behaviour. Naturally however, if she is exhibiting any sort of aggression you will want her on the lead at certain times.

I found that by using longer leads and specifically a strong flexi lead Logan has been a lot more relaxed and accepting of other dogs. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Thu Mar 14 2013, 20:27

I have her on a 2 m lead but I wrap it up in my hand and she is on her harness, so if she is meeting another dog, maybe I'll loosen it up and give it some slack. I'm surprised to see her acting this way, nothing else has changed, and she's always so submissive and timid. I really hope it's just a phase...
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Thu Mar 14 2013, 20:31

I would agree withe tara, as she is getting older she will change. And tes may be try with a but more slack on the lead but keep your self calm as she will feel your tension through the lead Smile
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Thu Mar 14 2013, 20:34

thanks guys - if she still does it, what should I do to stop the behavior? is the tap on the nose and a firm NO enough? or is there another way to train her out of this?
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 14 2013, 20:35

Def don't tap her on the nose Lori that will make it much worse. That can make a dog very nervous.

The best thing to do is take a deep breath and try not to show tension. A firm, but non aggressive "no" can correct any unwanted behaviour

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Thu Mar 14 2013, 20:56

OK good advice, thanks. I hardly if ever reprimand her physically, I just found myself doing it to keep her face away from the other dog and it seemed to get her attention. But I didn't like doing it Straight Face

I'm going to try working on look a bit more with her while she's on her lead/harness, to get her attention. I was thinking that might be worth a go or using "leave it".

Also, I found this article that seemed to give some good tips

http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/dog-to-dog-aggression.html

Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 14 2013, 20:58

A really good one to practice is "look at me", teach her to keep her attention on you every now and again on walks by using a treatr or a favourite toy. Then when a dog comes past try the technique and reward her after the other dog passes Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Thu Mar 14 2013, 22:46

I'm definitely going to try that, thanks so much everyone for your support x
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Fri Mar 15 2013, 17:50

So a brief update because I'm an idiot... on Monday, which is right about the time all of this started, she met a dog who was off lead when she was on, and the dog wasn't aggressive per say but did show some strong dominance behavior which isn't hard to do compared to Jelly who literally lives up to her name around other dogs. I don't think this dog bit her, if it had she would have had a visible wound. I think maybe the clunked noses together or heads, something, but Jelly walked away bleeding from her nose. I didn't notice it right away, not until she kept sneezing and when I looked down there was blood coming out of her nose. I couldn't see a bite mark, a nick, nothing at all. I chalked it up to a nettle or stick caught her just when we walked away. But whatever it was, it clearly must have hurt and made an impression because I think this is why she is doing what she's doing.

Will she get over it? She did OK today for the most part, we worked on look (which she knows already, but we refreshed it a bit before heading out for a walk) and she handled a little yappy pomeranian and GSD pair who were together quite well. She met a border terrier though who growled at her so she nipped - again, she never lands her nips, never actually bites.

Ugh. I hope she gets past this!

Last edited by Girly on Fri Mar 15 2013, 18:01; edited 2 times in total
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 15 2013, 17:54

She is just a bit nervous because of her experience. Exactly like my Logan.

It does get better over time but it is a lot to do with the way we deal with it. It might take a while but you'lll get there. Juts take your time and keep as calm as possible. If possible you might want to consider asking if owners could put their dogs on lead for the next while until her confidense builds up. If you say something like "she's just a bit nervous and I'm trying to help her" they will understand Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Fri Mar 15 2013, 17:57

Thanks Mat! I was thinking maybe we should get her a thundershirt as well for walks, or is that over-reacting? I hate to see her so apprehensive. She was already a big wuss anyway, poor thing.
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 15 2013, 18:03

Try it without first if you can. I have read they have helped some people. But I'm totally confident after you see the first improvement you will get on a roll and it will seem a lot easier.

It sounds so stupid, but it really does matter how we are holding the lead, as in how we feel at the time. If you are tense she will pick up on it. Take a deep breath and walk on, just tell yourself what's the worst that can happen, if they are on lead there will be no prob. I've even tried singing a song in my head to take my mind off it.

Anything you can do to get you in a positive mindset will drastically help her adapt. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Fri Mar 15 2013, 18:22

Definitely agree Mat, I noticed that walking with her today. I gave a bit more slack than normal with the pair of dogs that she met and set her up to say hello to them, the owner put them on their leads as well and even with the Pom barking its head off, she was calm - she just laid down and waited for them to approach her, didn't look at them at first but then sniffed when they made nice. With the border terrier, the owner of that dog was tense for sure (we went to puppy training together, but hadn't met in months) and there were kids along as well and she loves to lick children so I had to keep her from jumping up/getting excited as well. I didn't tense up the lead but there was a lot going on with the giggling kids and the pulling, grumbly other dog, so she got nippy. so I just gently held her back a bit and got her to sit, put my hand on her chest and told her to look at me, to be calm (she was shaking, poor thing), used very soothing tones, and she got less nippy and interested, mostly just some butt sniffing. So we're working on it. I prefer stress free walkies for her of course and try not to pull or drag her along, although I do use a front clip harness because without it she pulls non-stop. I know she hates it, though. Every time we go for walkies she "hides" (means stands in the corner of the room and awaits her impending doom). We'll keep at it though!! I do want to see how we go without the thundershirt.

Thanks for your helpful support, Mat Big Grin
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 15 2013, 18:24

No Problem Smile

Keep us updated though. It does take a while with these things but you will get there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Thu Apr 04 2013, 19:06

just an update - Jelly is doing much better, getting more confident and back to normal. Well, if normal is being submissive and getting down/getting on her back when she meets other dogs. she's a funny one, but i would rather that she is a bit (OK, a LOT) submissive than aggressive. Love Struck
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down