Galadriel
janey
gell
7 posters

Go down

Sooooooooooooooo naughty Empty Sooooooooooooooo naughty

Post by gell Tue Mar 12 2013, 17:46

Sad W
Has any one any suggestions on how i can get Millie to leave my 14 yr Yorkie alone,she just keeps getting in his face,she plays him up terrible,i have tried telling her of,i know she is a pup,and wants to play,but my other dog dosn't want to know it is a shame for both, we play a lot with her and she gets our attention,but she really does torment the other dog, sigh has any one got any ideas? we have never had a staff before she has mixed with other dogs that have been to our home and yes she follows them about and does the usual dog sniff etc,and in the park.She dosn't seem to bother much with our other dog in the park,its only at home,so has any one any suggestions or advice please,many thanks.
gell
gell
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : millie
Dog(s) Ages : 13 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Sooooooooooooooo naughty Empty Re: Sooooooooooooooo naughty

Post by janey Tue Mar 12 2013, 18:06

I'm sorry I have never lived with 2 dogs and been a long time since I had a pup, sure someone will be on that can help Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 18:10

I have had two dogs before but never at the same time as having a pup. But when I've had friends with dogs visit home or go on walks with friends dogs Logan can be a bit over the top. Pups in general are normally a bit bonkers with these things and a lot of older dogs don't appreciate it.

The only thing that works for me is to distract the attention away from the other dog if possible. Maybe using a toy or giving a treat when attention to the other dog has been broken.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed Mar 13 2013, 08:30

We've taught Elmo an 'enough' command which means stop playing and chill out.

We started just by saying 'enough' when he was being a bit OTT then lured him away with a treat. He'd only get the treat when he'd walked away from the other dog/toy then we'd give him a 'chill out toy' like a stuffed kong or stagbar for him to settle down with.

If he went back to whatever we were stopping him from playing with then we'd just repeat the process until he fully understood what enough meant.

Now he's in his teenage phase and the selective hearing has kicked in, he just goes the other side of the baby gate for a minute if he ignores the enough command and it seems to be working a treat Smile

ETA: He still gets rewarded when he does obey the command even if it's just a nice relaxing stoke or ear massage (his fave!)

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by pattitxbda Wed Mar 13 2013, 13:20

Marley is so full of energy sometimes it's just too much we have to pull her away from my husband's sister's mini dachshund.
pattitxbda
pattitxbda
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley, Tilly
Dog(s) Ages : 4 years and 10 months, 1 year and 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by jojobda Wed Mar 13 2013, 15:09

pattitxbda wrote:Marley is so full of energy sometimes it's just too much we have to pull her away from my husband's sister's mini dachshund.

Like my wife mentioned, marley hasnt quiet grasped that its not always play time and is quiet over the top at times. also when there is a dog who may be standoffish, she will coax them in and lay on her back and the other dogs get some reassurance it seems. the dog trainer from class reckons she hasnt had another dog growl or tell her to back off for a bit, which is correct. so we have a date this weekend with her doberman and american bulldog, who are both very gentle and well socialized, but will let marley know when play is over. this trainer has been so great to us the last few weeks so i do trust her judgement in helping us to help marley in establishing some boundaries.
jojobda
jojobda
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Sooooooooooooooo naughty Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : Oct. 16 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 40

https://www.facebook.com/jordan.trott.754

Back to top Go down

Post by danielirl Wed Mar 13 2013, 16:40

i also have two dogs a westie and a staff when was a small pup my max was same like your playing very hard bite her very hard but we always told him easy and in one week or two he finally understand.. you can try to separate them when she become to much aggressive put her in another room couples of minute good luck Wink
danielirl
danielirl
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Sooooooooooooooo naughty Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : max
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Mar 13 2013, 17:20

Been there, done that. What you might try is keeping a lead on millie and both telling her "leave it," "enough," or whatever you are going to use to command her to leave anything be that you don't want her messing with. Also, pull her off your dog. Millie needs to know it isn't ok. It takes repetition and vigilance. Do not leave the lead on her when you aren't watching her or all the time, just when they are together (and you will have to be watching). I know it is like having a toddler with a feeble elderly person. Can't really leave them be until the toddler is responsible enough to know what not to do. Puppies want to play constantly and will push to get what they want until they are corrected. I just wouldn't leave it up to a yorkie as they may or may not be able to convince Millie they mean them to be left alone now. Hope that helps!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down