bit out the ordinary

2 posters

Go down

bit out the ordinary Empty bit out the ordinary

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 06:43

My two have been acting up a bit. Normally they're best friends but the last two days Roxy's hackles have been up when playing and yesterday she grabbed Vinny by the scruff a bit more intently than usual (but I'm putting it down to his "puppy licence" having expired and Roxy realising he can play harder now). Rox was a bit more hyper than usual yesterday after that so we took her for a long walk which calmed her right down. Wondering if they'd perhaps had a spat when we were out yesterday as the seemed to pretty much ignore each other the rest of the evening.

They've been ignoring each other this morning too until just now when Vinny climbed over to Roxy to have a sniff and she turned and yelped at him then growled and snarled - very out of character for her. Put them both outside and supervised and they seemed to ignore each other again. Roxy's looking pretty subdued today but it is overcast and rainy so perhaps even a bit of cabin fever...or we forget she's still a teenager?!

Back to top Go down

bit out the ordinary Empty Re: bit out the ordinary

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 10:23

I think it's just what you said, Vinny's getting older now, dogs tend to stop being as lenient when the puppy grows older, he's probably learning Roxy wants her alone time. Has Roxy been spayed and if not is she due a season? That's the only other thing I'd consider if it seems likely.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 10:35

Tara wrote:I think it's just what you said, Vinny's getting older now, dogs tend to stop being as lenient when the puppy grows older, he's probably learning Roxy wants her alone time. Has Roxy been spayed and if not is she due a season? That's the only other thing I'd consider if it seems likely.

I hope so! She has been spayed, funny enough last week she was leaking/spotting urine and we had her checked over. Vet said possible start of a UTI so she is on antibiotics that might be making her ratty.

Another incident earlier: Roxy was fast asleep on the couch and Vinny climbed up for a cuddle with her - normally she'd move over but today she screeched and snarled again. I took them outside to do some obedience training which was fine, but when it was time to play with the ball, Vinny ran after it and Roxy refused to move. I then got out their fave tug toy and Roxy grabbed hold. When Vinny tried to get in on the game she growled quiet a bit(not like her).

I've left them outside with a treat each for a bit and they've been ignoring each other. I've asked their trainer who said that at this age Roxy can go through another fear period and she can start to become possessive and/or aggressive. I just hope she's having an off day and feeling a bit under the weather, but am keeping a close eye on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 10:44

Now that you mentioned the antibiotics and everything, I think that sounds probable. They can get pretty grumpy (as we all do) when they're not feeling 100%, and Vinny being young probably gets on her nerves more than anyone else. Is she just like it with him or does she seem different in general?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 10:50

Just with him and a bit different in that they are totally avoiding each other where they'd normally be playing. She is usually a bit moody in cooler weather too(which it finally is after a very long hot spell).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 10:53

I'd say that she's feeling out of sorts & just doesn't want him climbing all over her.

Try to give her some peace & quiet & personally I wouldn't leave them alone together for a while - you never know what might happen if she gets the ump with him & he takes exception to a growl!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 10:57

Caryll wrote:I'd say that she's feeling out of sorts & just doesn't want him climbing all over her.

Try to give her some peace & quiet & personally I wouldn't leave them alone together for a while - you never know what might happen if she gets the ump with him & he takes exception to a growl!

Thanks Caryll, I'm inclined to agree. I put her blanket over her earlier and she completely buried herself under it as if to say "do not disturb!" Vinny's generally very chilled and backs off, but I agree with not leaving them alone together for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Mar 11 2013, 11:07

I would tend to agree with Caryll too she may just well be out of sorts and needs a few days to chill out and get back to normal. I'm sure all be well in a few days time.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Mon Mar 11 2013, 14:10

i would say the same may be just like us she wants to have a bit of her time. hope she perks up soon tho poor little girly
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 17:14

After watching them this afternoon I'd definitely agree with her being under the weather. Vinny was desperate to play but she completely ignored him. On our walk we noticed she was leaking urine again. When we took her to the vet last week he gave her an antibiotic injection for the UTI plus a week's course of pills. The injection was due to wear off today, so perhaps she's feeling tender. I hope the pills work though and the leaking stops and she's back to herself.

I'll keep the two separate for another day or two to let her rest. Do you think we should not walk for a few days? Here energy levels seem fine.

Thanks everyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 17:24

I can only agree with Caryll and would not leave them alone together , at least for a while. We always leave our 2 separate even though its only a childs safety gate so they can see each other and interact . I know they don't lunge at each other all of the time or anything remotely like this and my thoughts are that they have their own space and its just enough to keep out of each others faces.
I know you want them to be company for each other but if they do have a fall out and nobody there to stoip it the consequences could be disastrous.

In my heart I feel this would not happen if I left my 2 alone , but in my head I know what they can be capable of so its really not worth the risk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum