rebeccaleanne
Nathan
Sazzle
stig
Kathy
redgirl
11 posters

Go down

bullied by villagers who dont like having a staffie in their vicintiy Empty bullied by villagers who dont like having a staffie in their vicintiy

Post by redgirl Sat Mar 09 2013, 18:38

I have posted before about the problem I was having regarding my having a staffie in a small East Anglian village..

update; a particular dog took a dislike to Coco (my staffie) and attacked us, to cut a very long story short, this particular dog did it again and the two dogs ended up fighting...the owners of the other dog have lied and tried to make out it was Coco (my girl) who started it even though there where witnesses to say to the contrary...its all been very nasty and I think stirred up sill personal hates etc...its a very small village with a 'dog clique'...as a consequence I walk her where no other dog walkers go and now hate where I live. She is NOT aggresive but very boustrous and extremely affectionate but, I am afraid, some people with little intelligence and in my case, snobbry, dont want to know...

I would love to have a Landbeach (the village I live in and hopefully for not much longer) staffie day...if anybody is interested my email is

sorry email are not allow on the forum

redgirl
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : coco
Dog(s) Ages : one and a half
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

bullied by villagers who dont like having a staffie in their vicintiy Empty Re: bullied by villagers who dont like having a staffie in their vicintiy

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09 2013, 18:59

Still having problems Maggie Sad

No possibility to think about moving ??

Back to top Go down

bullied by villagers who dont like having a staffie in their vicintiy Empty Re: bullied by villagers who dont like having a staffie in their vicintiy

Post by Kathy Sat Mar 09 2013, 19:15

Very sorry to hear that you are still having problems with the minority of your locals. Not sure what to advize other than do what you are doing: walk in another area to where the snobs go. Hard to keep control of our mouths sometimes, I know this too.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09 2013, 19:29

Sorry you are still having problems. I have a few rotten neighbours too, but not as bad as what you have to put up with.

Maybe you should speak to citizens advice or the authorities and explain what you are going through.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09 2013, 19:54

I remember your previous post Maggie and am sorry to hear that it is still an ongoing problem.

Prejudice is so hard to overcome, in the dog world as in so many walks of life. Moving to another village/town as you have suggested is one option, but quite an upheaval if you basically like where you live.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to catch one of the clique whilst they were walking their dog alone and ask very nicely if your dogs could just say hello to each other, explaining that your dog is very young and just loves every dog she sees (I do this myself with any strange dog we come across). If the other dog is friendly there should be no reason why the other person should disagree, and then a little headway can be made. However, if the other dog is DA then its owner should in all conscience admit it and it won't be your dog's fault.

Just the start of an idea and maybe simplistic. I'm putting it out just as this is the way I have been combating the anti-Staffy faction in my own area (with 100% degree of success).

Back to top Go down

Post by stig Sat Mar 09 2013, 20:36

Kathy wrote:Hard to keep control of our mouths sometimes, I know this too.

Yes sometimes the urge to snap back is too much to resist, the only time I've heard a clever comment was when we were out walking the dogs and some stuck up snob picked his dog up and ushered his son past us whilst saying "keep away from them, they'll savagely attack you", I wont post what I said back to him as it was very nasty, and I can't believe how angry his words actually made me, although my response was probably one he was expecting from the "Staffy owning type" and probably strengthened his dislike towards the breed.

Other than that the general attitude to all breeds around here is a friendly one, my street has less than 20 houses but there are 11 staffies live here, 5 are owned by one person but still it's a lot of staffies for one street. The amount of times I apologize to people because Stig has tried to jump up at them and they've said "it's ok I have one at home" is quite astonishing. Personally I couldn't live where you or Matt lives because I couldn't be doing with the hostility, I can only imagine how irritating it is being unable to move, and even if you could it's still not ideal. Not much help I know but I hope something works out for you and your Coco
stig
stig
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
bullied by villagers who dont like having a staffie in their vicintiy Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Stig
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Mar 09 2013, 21:19

Ah that's a real shame that they are spoiling it for you where you live they are just uneducated snobs ( in my opinion! ) there is a doggy clique where I live, you can tell some of them are wary of daisy but I've had no problems so far, in fact she is still on the lead and they bother her far more than she does them! Maybe if you catch one of them on their own you could try to explain how awkward they are making the situation? Not sure it will help but can't really think of anything else, sorry Hun x
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09 2013, 21:24

"Yes sometimes the urge to snap back is too much to resist, the only time I've heard a clever comment was when we were out walking the dogs and some stuck up snob picked his dog up and ushered his son past us whilst saying "keep away from them, they'll savagely attack you", I wont post what I said back to him as it was very nasty, and I can't believe how angry his words actually made me, although my response was probably one he was expecting from the "Staffy owning type" and probably strengthened his dislike towards the breed."

I'm sorry, but mouthing back at the anti-Staffy brigade will just reinforce their prejudices (as you have acknowledged yourself).

I do know how hard it is not to bite back at hostility, but for the sake of the breed and your own relationship with the local doggy fraternity, I could wish that everyone when confronted with anti-Staff hostility would just respond cheerily and friendlily with words to the effect that your dog is friendly, just wants to play as he loves everyone, is just excited at meeting a new friend, won't hurt you/your child - whatever fits the situation just so long as it's friendly.

It's worked for me Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sat Mar 09 2013, 22:33

educate dont hide mate. walk the village, walk where other dogs are. they are fearing gossip and when they see the truth with there own eyes they will come around
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Sat Mar 09 2013, 22:49

so sorry this is still on going! as a few of us know what it feels like but ithink you have the problem times by ten!!

I think what i would do is may be try make a stance and try show them that what they have heard is rubbish.........how about a small leaflet drop with some facts or you side of the story? you shoudnt have to be runout of your own village over idiotic people!!!
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by stig Sat Mar 09 2013, 23:27

rebeccaleanne wrote:

I think what i would do is may be try make a stance and try show them that what they have heard is rubbish.........how about a small leaflet drop with some facts or you side of the story? you shoudnt have to be runout of your own village over idiotic people!!!

I like this idea, do you have one of these local newsletters that get posted around villages, the small independent ones that advertise for local business' and have news articles in from your local area, if so maybe you could email them your problem along with some facts about the Staffies nature and try having them run an article?
stig
stig

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10 2013, 12:17

Dave wrote:Still having problems Maggie Sad

No possibility to think about moving ??

As a follow up to this , I think I should make myself clear , I'm not suggesting running away from the problem but when you have everyone else against you in a little poxy village (sorry it may be quite nice but in my book the people are making it poxy) then it is difficult when everyone is ganging up to make a stand. Personally I would make a stand as that's how I roll , leaflet drops , bomb drops whatever it takes but I just sense that this problem (3 rd time you've posted about it I think) is getting on top of you a bit, you shouldn't have ever moved away from the egg n chippers Big Grin as for every 1 up there that hates staffs there's another 1 that loves em. Went to Aycliffe recently on a family trip and had more compliments on our 2 than ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun Mar 10 2013, 14:33

Bloody bigots angry .... would be great for loads of us with our staffy's to turn up there for a mass walk to see their face's Laughing
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10 2013, 14:43

Andy wrote:Bloody bigots angry .... would be great for loads of us with our staffy's to turn up there for a mass walk to see their face's Laughing
Amen brother!

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul H Sun Mar 10 2013, 15:39

Buy more Staffys.
Paul H
Paul H

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy
Dog(s) Ages : 1 - 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Sun Mar 10 2013, 15:41

sorry to hear that we live in a village too and are regularly avoided by the community dog walkers takes a bit of getting used to but i now prefer it that way Smile
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by redgirl Sun Mar 10 2013, 17:49

thankyou for your supportive messages but I am disappointed in the lack of 'actual' pro-active support....as a consequence I fear more of these lovely dogs are going to be sought for the wrong reasons and as they lack what these particular people are looking for will languish in battersie dogs homes with the 'axe' of the media speak...obviously I am on the wrong forum...forgive me and I shall not bother you again

redgirl

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : coco
Dog(s) Ages : one and a half
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Sun Mar 10 2013, 17:56

redgirl wrote:thankyou for your supportive messages but I am disappointed in the lack of 'actual' pro-active support....as a consequence I fear more of these lovely dogs are going to be sought for the wrong reasons and as they lack what these particular people are looking for will languish in battersie dogs homes with the 'axe' of the media speak...obviously I am on the wrong forum...forgive me and I shall not bother you again

Sorry, why do you feel you are on the wrong forum? What exactly are you wanting? Smile
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10 2013, 17:59

Slightly harsh to be fair. There is advice given on here that could make a difference possibly. There's only so pro active you can be on an internet forum.

Sorry if you feel you haven't received help here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10 2013, 18:32

redgirl wrote:thankyou for your supportive messages but I am disappointed in the lack of 'actual' pro-active support....as a consequence I fear more of these lovely dogs are going to be sought for the wrong reasons and as they lack what these particular people are looking for will languish in battersie dogs homes with the 'axe' of the media speak...obviously I am on the wrong forum...forgive me and I shall not bother you again

We're a forum, not an animal-rights organisation. We do what we can, when we can, but some things are beyond our control. Please think before you accuse.

Back to top Go down

Post by stig Sun Mar 10 2013, 19:12

Andy wrote: would be great for loads of us with our staffy's to turn up there for a mass walk to see their face's Laughing

She tried that

"I would love to have a Landbeach (the village I live in and hopefully for not much longer) staffie day...if anybody is interested my email is"

And got this

"sorry email are not allow on the forum"

Which probably answers this

"Sorry, why do you feel you are on the wrong forum? What exactly are you wanting?"

But these are very good answers

"There is advice given on here that could make a difference possibly. There's only so pro active you can be on an internet forum".

"We're a forum, not an animal-rights organisation. We do what we can, when we can, but some things are beyond our control. Please think before you accuse."

I'm with the majority, there is good advice given that could be put to use, in particular Rebecca's leaflet drop idea, logistically the forum all turning up with their Staffies would be some what of a challenge, especially considering a good portion of the forum don't even reside in the U.K, it would be fantastic if we could all do such a thing and maybe have trade stands selling Staffie merchandise etc, info stand with leaflets about the dogs and invite the residents to come and interact as you pointed out, it would be a positive thing for the forum in terms of publicity at the same time but as Matt says, we can only be so pro active and I'm sure it's not as simple as just organizing some stands and turning up. If you find a forum willing to do what you want I for one would like to hear about it, but I won't be holding my breath I'm afraid.
stig
stig

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10 2013, 19:37

I'm sorry that you feel you have not been given pro-active support Maggie. I feel that you have been given some very good support and suggestions as to how your dog could become more accepted in your community.

I cannot understand your leap of logic - as a consequence of our perceived lack of support more Staffs are going to be sought for the wrong reasons etc? If you should change your mind and revisit this forum, I for one would be interested to learn how you came to this conclusion.

Back to top Go down

Post by stig Sun Mar 10 2013, 20:03

Lynda wrote:If you should change your mind and revisit this forum

She'll be back, bingo anyone?

bullied by villagers who dont like having a staffie in their vicintiy Flounce-bingo_zps931391ba
stig
stig

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10 2013, 20:15

Love it! rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sun Mar 10 2013, 21:45

we cant all mobilse whenever anyone has problems, everyone here has had a situation with ignorant people to the breed. we have lives too and to spend each and every moment traveling about the country forming "rallies" just isnt going to happen. sometimes you have to get off your * and do something for yourself without expecting everyone to fight your battles for you. you asked for advice and we gave it, you ignored it and want everyone else to sort your situation out with the minimum effort from yourslef.
just for your info i spread the rest of my time on ddawatch, doglost and the dog trust educating and helping out with other dog owners, ignoring all that to form a rally against dotty old ladies just isnt going to happen. this is the forum for true staffy lovers as it welcomes everyone and as such you get all walks of life here making a rich and informed forum. walk away at your loss or stay and maybee even help someone with your own experiances.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun Mar 10 2013, 21:47

I think your right !! i dont know

What exactly were you expecting members on here to do ?
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Sun Mar 10 2013, 21:57

ummm we work and have our own lives here but offer support where we can.
julespercules
julespercules

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Passey83 Mon Mar 11 2013, 14:26

WOW!!! I was just about to offer some support as well as i only live about 4 miles away and am always looking for new places to walk Leo and new Staff owners to meet!

However, if you are this touchy i will reconsider!

Maybe the residents of Landbeach are not snobbish, and i am guessing they have no problem with your dog or Staffies in general at all, instead they are correctly avoiding you as you are an imbecile!
Passey83
Passey83
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Leo
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 14:28

rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Mon Mar 11 2013, 14:47

Laughing

fair point
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon Mar 11 2013, 15:23

Passey83 wrote:WOW!!! I was just about to offer some support as well as i only live about 4 miles away and am always looking for new places to walk Leo and new Staff owners to meet!

However, if you are this touchy i will reconsider!

Maybe the residents of Landbeach are not snobbish, and i am guessing they have no problem with your dog or Staffies in general at all, instead they are correctly avoiding you as you are an imbecile!

rolling on the floor
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down