Cornish-Muscle
janey
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Check Chains & How to Use Them - Page 2 Empty Check Chains & How to Use Them

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01 2011, 12:07

First topic message reminder :

I know a few of you hate check chains, and I totally respect your views, but I saw someone in the park today 'using' a check chain & getting no results whatsoever because they were doing it all wrong! So, as there are chains for sale in every pet shop, and people will buy them & try to use them, I thought I'd do a post on how to use them safely & effectively.

Firstly, a couple of things to remember.......
1. A check chain should only ever be used for training, and even then only for short periods. It should never replace a normal collar or harness.
2. Technique & timing are everything.
3. Only ever use one that is just strong enough for your dog & never use the ones with huge links like manacles linked together - they don't work!

When you buy a chain, take your dog with you & choose a chain that just goes over your dog's head. Any bigger & he'll duck out of it & you'll lose effectiveness, any smaller and.........well, it won't go on! Laughing

Learn to put it on properly. Your dog must always walk on one side of you. For the sake of argument, let's say the left hand side. When the chain is on your dog & he is on your left, the end you clip the lead to should come from the top of your dog's neck like this.....
Check Chains & How to Use Them - Page 2 Checkchain

That way, as soon as you release pressure on the lead the collar will slacken.

Once you have the collar on the correct way round, make sure that it is positioned at the top of your dog's neck, just behind the ears.

Put your dog into the sit position by your side & give gentle praise. Hold the lead in your right hand with the lead across your body & slack.

Tell your dog to 'heal' (or whichever command you want to use), tap your left thigh & start to walk forward smartly, & if your dog does not immediately follow give a quick jerk on the lead. The collar should tighten momentarily & your dog should move forward. As soon as your dog moves forward, the collar will automatically loosen.

As you move forward, any time your dog starts to pull ahead, give your chosen command & immediately jerk the lead with your right hand so that your dog's head is pulled towards you and he will be drawn back to your side. Give gentle praise "Good boy heal".

As your dog becomes used to the forward heal work, start to introduce the right turn. As you are walking along, say your dog's name and "heal", turn smartly at right angles to the right and give the lead a quick jerk, so that the dog follows you & walks by your side again. Quiet praise.

Try to leave your left hand free to praise and encourage, and always walk with a loose lead so that you do not tighten the chain by accident.

Don't forget that not all dogs respond well to a check chain & if you notice that your dog becomes fearful or apprehensive then stop using it immediately.

Keep training sessions with a chain down to about 3 or 4 minutes to start with & build up to a maximum of 10 minutes.

Last edited by Caryll on Fri Feb 24 2012, 12:32; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Check Chains & How to Use Them - Page 2 Empty Re: Check Chains & How to Use Them

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 21:18

I wouldn't do that at all.

Back to top Go down

Check Chains & How to Use Them - Page 2 Empty Re: Check Chains & How to Use Them

Post by Steve Tue Mar 27 2012, 21:21

there no choice really sam is a powerful dog you have to lift his front legs off the floor in small place.

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 21:26

Why? Dempsey's even bigger, but I wouldn't lift his legs off the ground - it puts him at a disadvantage & he would struggle. I just shorten his lead & stand still - I let the other person walk past us, it's much easier.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Mar 27 2012, 21:32

i'm thinking about the safely of the other dogs (when he was younger he attack a rottie and grab it by the throat) i think you have more control of the dog if they dont have all 4 paws on the ground, but if there was a dog was coming close to me with me shouting warning i would soon let him go.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Tue Mar 27 2012, 21:39

Sorry to butt in, but just a quick one.

The check collar I linked, large says it fits next sizes 44cm to 65cm, the medium 34 to 45cm.

Troys neck is approx 40cm's, which should
I go for?

(can't check their chart as on iPhone but would value your opinion anyway)

Gee

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 21:45

I think you'd have to go for the smaller one & adjust it to near the maximum size. Why not go into one of the pet stores & try on a couple of collars in there - you can get the sizing right & then order the one you want online! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 21:47

Steve wrote:i'm thinking about the safely of the other dogs (when he was younger he attack a rottie and grab it by the throat) i think you have more control of the dog if they dont have all 4 paws on the ground, but if there was a dog was coming close to me with me shouting warning i would soon let him go.

I still wouldn't lift him. That's why I don't like harnesses - you just don't have control of the sharp end! At least with a collar I can hold him still & let the other dog pass. I always stand still & let the other person walk by, that way it's them that have to cope with walking a straining & struggling dog past & I just have to hold Dempsey still.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Mar 27 2012, 21:52

it help me no end . i think i will always have a harness now... IMO i have more control of the dog just by lifting his front legs up we all different becasue i would never use a choke chain on my dog.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 21:56

Steve wrote:it help me no end . i think i will always have a harness now... IMO i have more control of the dog just by lifting his front legs up we all different becasue i would never use a choke chain on my dog.

But I don't use a choke chain, either!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Mar 28 2012, 15:10

Caryll wrote:I think you'd have to go for the smaller one & adjust it to near the maximum size. Why not go into one of the pet stores & try on a couple of collars in there - you can get the sizing right & then order the one you want online! Big Grin

I have bought collars for him that fit fine, I wasn't sure about this one has it is a choke type mechanism. I emailed them anyway and they said to go for the large by his measurement.

Gee

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen and Max Tue Apr 03 2012, 19:03

Great post and lead wat u put on Caryll!!! XXX
Karen and Max
Karen and Max
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dillon
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Tue Apr 03 2012, 21:54

Thanks caryll, good info, I wanted a half check for Mia the other day but decided against it in case I used it wrong!! Now I know I might just go and get her one!!
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by 8pawprints Thu Apr 05 2012, 00:08

Sorry to disagree, but I think check chains should be banned ! There is plenty of post morgen evidence that yanking a dog by it's collar or chain causes tracheal and vertebral damage. Dogs often pull on the lead at the start of a walk as their energy levels are high and they are excited and looking forward to a run in the park etc. They will continue to pull at the lead and tolerate the choking as they know that the reward of the park awaits them. That's why check chains usually fail or only work for a short time. Anyone using one should spend some time being walked around on it and pulled back every so often. I know some people of a certain persuasion pay for and enjoy this. Dogs need the freedom to be able to have a sniff and explore a little even when on the lead. I know many of us are very busy and have tight schedules and walking the dog has to fit in, but maybe we should see things more from our dogs perspective. Most dogs have very little choice or true freedom in their lives.
8pawprints
8pawprints
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 5-6 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2