Collar/lead help

2 posters

Go down

Collar/lead help Empty Collar/lead help

Post by Mattylee Thu Feb 28 2013, 22:08

So it's only 2 weeks until its walk time. Problem is, trying to get Lola used to a collar and lead is a nightmare. When I put them on her for a walk around the house to get her used to it, she goes crazy and acts like she's in real discomfort. I know I have to persevere but some advice to make it easier please guys. thumbs up
Mattylee
Mattylee
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 15/12/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Collar/lead help Empty Re: Collar/lead help

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 22:36

You can leave the collar and lead on her in the house to get her used to the feel of it.. As long as you do it when you are home to supervise.. Also treats and lots of praise can help too Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 22:44

Try leaving it out and letting her get used to seeing it. When you put it on for practice try giving her a reward before and after the session so she will associate positive things with the harness. Don't worry I think most of us have gone through this issue as well

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 01 2013, 09:36

Don't put both on a once, not yet at least. Start with a really soft collar (I used a cat collar - minus the bell of course - because it's stretchy). Put it on & give loads of praise & maybe play a game with her. She'll get used to it quite quickly.

Once she's used to the collar, clip the lead on but don't hold it. Just let her drag it around, play with it if she wants. Once she's comfortable with that, pick the lead up & follow her, don't put any pressure on the lead at all. After a while you can give a little tug & call her so that she goes the way you want to go. It'll come, don't worry!

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Fri Mar 01 2013, 09:51

would agree with everybodys advice. Its a strange thing these leads to our furbabies, lots of praise when she has this on. Can not realy add much more apart from be calm and patient good luck and would love to see pics when you start wlaking Big Grin
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 01 2013, 09:54

When I got Logan the breeder gave me a super light collar and lead set. He hated it at first. I had him on the collar basically all day because he more or less slept on my chest for most of the time so he was well supervised.

I then tried the lead for maybe 20 mins at a time a few times a day so he wasn't getting too much time to get irritated with it. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down