Opinions on pyloric stenosis and insurance

Go down

Opinions on pyloric stenosis and insurance Empty Opinions on pyloric stenosis and insurance

Post by amara Sun Feb 24 2013, 20:43

Hi, my pup rocky has just been diagnosed with pyloric stenosis and possible inflammatory bowel disease. Hes had an operation to correct the pyloric stenosis and I should be getting him home tomorrow after a full week at the vets Sad .

A few weeks ago before rocky took a turn for the worse the vet wanted to do blood tests, x-rays, ultrasound and some other things as rocky has been having problems for a while. He sent off a preauthorisation for 'diarrhoea causing weightloss' and it was rejected due to the fact that I took rocky to the vets (this was my first vet, im now with a different one) in the first 14 days of my policy as he wasnt adjusting to dry food, when I got him he was still on a wet puppy diet so I basically went to the vets for feeding advice. I saw a auxillary nurse (Im led to believe this is below a vetinary nurse?) and she noted that he'd lost 0.3kg but that he was otherwise fit and well. She basically just went over what I was already doing regarding feeding, there was absolutely nothing wrong with him at this point and there are many other entries in his notes at different times following this to say that he was gaining weight. Im now wondering whether this new diagnosis will be rejected due to the entry in his notes, as a symptom of pyloric stenosis is weight loss. There is a chance that he may need a further more complicated operation in the future and am panicking that without the insurance I just cannot afford it, I owe the vet well over £1000 for this current treatment and operation. Does the fact that he wasnt seen by a vet count for anything?

Thank you
amara
amara
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky-roo
Dog(s) Ages : 7 May 2012
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Opinions on pyloric stenosis and insurance Empty Re: Opinions on pyloric stenosis and insurance

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24 2013, 20:57

I think it will come down to whether your current vet considers the condition has been acquired over a short period of time, or whether he considers that it was congenital (ie if he was born with it).

I'd have a chat with your vet and ask him how he would word his report to the insurance company.

Back to top Go down

Opinions on pyloric stenosis and insurance Empty Re: Opinions on pyloric stenosis and insurance

Post by amara Sun Feb 24 2013, 21:07

Thanks caryll, will do that.

Do most insurance companies not cover congenital things, I cant see anything about this in the small print at all.
amara
amara

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky-roo
Dog(s) Ages : 7 May 2012
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24 2013, 21:09

No condition is covered if it was in existence before you took out the insurance, so if it's congenital then it won't be covered. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down