The vet dead against bones?

2 posters

Go down

The vet dead against bones? Empty The vet dead against bones?

Post by Diplomat Fri Feb 22 2013, 23:26

Hi all,

Whilst at the vets today for Sams weigh in and flea and wormer I mentioned I'm goin to get him a few bones from the butchers. Now I didn't mean little bones more like ribs and leg bones. All three of the nurses behind the counter and the vet recoiled! They advised never to give any bones as they have seen lots of problems arise from this resulting in operations. I said that I knew not to give cooked bones incase of splinters etc but they said he is looking great and putting weight on fine and first need them as he will get calcium from his food. He is currently on wainwrights salmon puppy 3 x daily.

We give him raw hide or rice bones for teeth ad gums as well as millions of chew toys!

I have read about giving dogs bones and some recommend it.

Who is right?

Cheers
Diplomat
Diplomat
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Samson
Dog(s) Ages : 8 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

The vet dead against bones? Empty Re: The vet dead against bones?

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22 2013, 23:29

Raw bones are fine, infact very good. But with all foods/treats like this they really should be supervised. Logan tends not to chew food and would swallow larger bits than he should.

Raw hide bones should be avoided. As far as I believe it can't be digested properly (or at all?) and can cause blockages. I give Logan a rawhide bone but he doesn't eat them, we use it for hide and seek. If he started to eat it I'd take it off him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diplomat Fri Feb 22 2013, 23:40

Cheers or the reply matt. That's exactly what I was thinking! My reasoning was that if the bone is a chunky solid like bone then he shouldn't be able to break bits off. Is there a specific type of bone I should be asking for at the butchers?

Cheers
Diplomat
Diplomat

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Samson
Dog(s) Ages : 8 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 23 2013, 00:11

A lot of out members who feed raw will know a lot more than me about this. I always try to avoid anything overly fatty.

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Sat Feb 23 2013, 00:48

My 2 are raw fed, my pup has been raw fed from 7.5 weeks of age! Raw bones are fine to give as they're not likely to splinter like a cooked bone would!

My 2 get bone from chicken, ducks, lamb, pork, etc. Weight bearing bones shouldn't be given such as cows legs as they're too dense and can break teeth. You'll find 90% of vets are anti-raw, that's why you don't mention it to them or they'll put doubts in your head lol. My vets aren't for or against raw but tried to get me to feed IAM's (funnily enough what they sold in the waiting room Laughing)
StuW
StuW
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down