Long journey with pup

2 posters

Go down

Long journey with pup Empty Long journey with pup

Post by racamoe Fri Feb 22 2013, 20:03

Hi all
Well in 8 days we will be picking up our little Betty Smile
I have everything ready , I am just a bit worried about the journey home with her. It is 3 hrs away ( in good traffic) we are leaving v early In the morning to get there for 9am , that way she will be home early afternoon so will have time to settle in before bedtime .
Has anyone travelled this far before . What concerns me is that we obviously can't let her stop for a wee and to strectch her legs . I am going to sit her on my knee whilst hubby drives and I don't mind if she wees on me at all. I am just thinking it might go against her instincts to just wee like that . ( was going to take a towel )
Perhaps a better idea would be to put her in the crate half way through the journey on the back seat and sit with her there , so she isn't confined to sitting all that time.
Am I making sense ? Opinions please ?
Also think this should be in puppy section , sorry x
racamoe
racamoe
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Holly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 126

Back to top Go down

Long journey with pup Empty Re: Long journey with pup

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22 2013, 20:10

You need to be very careful about legislation concerning the transportation of domestic animals. Ideally, you should plan two routes in case of unforseen circumstances (traffic jams, for instance). Stops/rests should also be planned for your puppy to relieve herself. Though, at her age, I daresay newspaper would do for her toilet, so that would need to be swapped about halfway through the journey.

You aren't really supposed to have a puppy sitting next to you, as it is often very distracting for you (the driver). However, if you have somebody with you, it's not too bad.

Also remember that in three hours, your pup is likely to get thirsty. Carrying a bottle of water and a dog bowl will help with this, so that she can have a drink when she needs it. It'll be a new experience for her, so it's important that she's kept hydrated to minimise stress. Having said this, Dempsey wouldn't drink on the journey back from the breeders, so try not to panic if she doesn't.

Good luck with your new addition! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Fri Feb 22 2013, 20:13

Thanks very much Eleanor Smile Smile
racamoe
racamoe

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22 2013, 20:15

You're welcome! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22 2013, 20:15

I'd sit in the back with her, but rather than a crate I'd have a cardboard box with something warm & comfortable in it, and maybe a chew toy to help relieve any stress. Take a spare blanket/towel in case she does wee in the box so you can replace the wet bedding with a dry one.

Eleanor wrote: Having said this, Dempsey wouldn't drink on the journey back from the breeders, so try not to panic if she doesn't.

Good luck with your new addition! Smile

Yes, he worried us because it was a really hot day & we had to go on a train to london, tube to Euston, train to Northampton & bus home (no car!), and he wouldn't touch any water at all. As soon as he got in the house, though, he had some water & settled very quickly afterwards.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22 2013, 20:19

We used the cardboard box to bring Tilly and Tommy back and Daddy drove extra careful with his precious cargo , just follow the advice from Caryll and Eleanor and you will be fine , if they wee on the way home its only puppy wee anyway Big Grin we just used a couple of old towels in the box so you can change them and just but the soiled ones in a bin liner, good luck with your new addition and don't forget to give us some photos

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Feb 22 2013, 20:21

Sorry if I have missed something but why can you not stop for her to have a toilet break ??
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22 2013, 20:30

Kathy wrote:Sorry if I have missed something but why can you not stop for her to have a toilet break ??

Because she's a puppy Kathy so can't go outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22 2013, 20:31

Dave wrote:
Kathy wrote:Sorry if I have missed something but why can you not stop for her to have a toilet break ??

Because she's a puppy Kathy so can't go outside

Yeah. Usually, you could stop for quick rest stops, but she won't have had her vaccinations yet. Newspaper of towels will do her fine for a toilet instead. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22 2013, 20:39

I woudl take some paper and stop and let her on the paper for a few mins, it won't do any harm.

As for the travelling, whatever you use be sure you are able to secure it with the seatbelt as you should not have any loose objects in the car.

Also make sure to take water and food! the pup may not want it but you can at least offer it Smile hope all goes well can't wait for pics Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Fri Feb 22 2013, 21:10

Brill advice, thanks so much guys. I hadn't thought about using a cardboard box, but what a good idea...I could use a shallow ish one so she could see out and I can stroke her.

The breeder sent puppy pics tonight so I will have to get them on soon Smile

I wouldn't want her to go down on the ground ( apart from in our garden) until she was fully vaccinated.

I have made a list based on the posts and put it on the fridge Smile
bowl
Water and food
Box
Vet Bed ( have cut several pieces that fit half her crate)
Towels
Toy
Paper
Bin Bag

Glad we only have to do this once Laughing

racamoe
racamoe

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22 2013, 21:53

you might want to take a few gloves or poop bags to lift stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22 2013, 21:54

We drove about that far to get Suki. I kept her in the back with me and we stopped every hour to let her out. Of course she still went wee and poop in the car

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Fri Feb 22 2013, 21:54

Oh good idea Hayley, thanks a million Smile
racamoe
racamoe

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22 2013, 21:57

I had Logan on my knee when I collected him just. I had to get my Dad to drive. Strangely he slept the whole way home until we nearly got home when he let out an almighty howl. It was very straightforward if I'm honest. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Fri Feb 22 2013, 21:59

jstaff wrote:We drove about that far to get Suki. I kept her in the back with me and we stopped every hour to let her out. Of course she still went wee and poop in the car

I had Logan on my knee when I collected him just. I had to get my Dad to drive. Strangely he slept the whole way home until we nearly got home when he let out an almighty howl. It was very straightforward if I'm honest.[quote]

This is good to hear Smile
racamoe
racamoe

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down