Help please as it's Penny's last chance!

5 posters

Go down

Help please as it's Penny's last chance!  Empty Help please as it's Penny's last chance!

Post by Harlon Fri Feb 22 2013, 17:33

Hi there Penny is a six month old SBT who is quite willfull. The main problem is every time she comes upstairs she wee's and poo's on the beds we have tried keeping her downstairs but this is not always possible any help would be appreciated and any insight in to why she would be doing this would be welcome my partner has had enough and Penny is now on her last chance. I don't want to have to give her up/ to the RSPCA Sad

Thank you

Harlon

Harlon
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Help please as it's Penny's last chance!  Empty Re: Help please as it's Penny's last chance!

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22 2013, 17:39

have you tried a dog/baby gate at the bottom of the stairs to stop her going up.

Is she not house trained?

This is a very very feeble reason to give a dog up! you do know rescues are full of staffs and that they will unlikely take her.

Last edited by ella on Fri Feb 22 2013, 17:40; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Help please as it's Penny's last chance!  Empty Re: Help please as it's Penny's last chance!

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22 2013, 17:40

Also why don't you come introduce yourself and give us a little information so we can help you Smile

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22 2013, 17:42

How do you deal with her if she goes to the toilet inside? If she is scolded for it it'll only make it worse. The only way to toilet train a dog is to reward when they do well. You can start right now, it'a one of the things Staffords find easy. Take her outside and when she goes reward with plenty of praise and maybe a treat.

Repeat this over and over throughout the day and night.

As Ella says, a baby gate is a necessity in this case.

I'm in agreement that it's a bit extreme to surrender a dog for toilet training issues if I'm totally honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22 2013, 17:47

sorry but I can't give you a magic fix and it is very extreme to rehome for something like this , please give us some more information or it's difficult to help you other than assume she is just not toilet trained

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Fri Feb 22 2013, 17:53

Definitely you need a way to stop her getting upstairs so invest in a baby gate, you can get one for £8 at the moment in the asda baby event!

If she isn't toilet trained then you need to start working now, take her outside every half hour / hour and use a word like go pee or something, if she does a toilet she gets lots of praise and a treat, if not bring her in and try again next time

You need to watch her wherever she is in the house, look for her sniffing or circling around, signs that she is about to toilet etc then straight outside hopefully in time

If there are accidents (and there will be as she is still a puppy) please don't tell her off/ rub her nose in it just clean it up quietly

If you tell her off she will associate toileting in front of you with being told off and you'll have trouble getting her to go outside!

They learn quickly so please persevere and don't give up on her just yet
*Karen*
*Karen*
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22 2013, 17:56

*Karen* wrote:Definitely you need a way to stop her getting upstairs so invest in a baby gate, you can get one for £8 at the moment in the asda baby event!

If she isn't toilet trained then you need to start working now, take her outside every half hour / hour and use a word like go pee or something, if she does a toilet she gets lots of praise and a treat, if not bring her in and try again next time

You need to watch her wherever she is in the house, look for her sniffing or circling around, signs that she is about to toilet etc then straight outside hopefully in time

If there are accidents (and there will be as she is still a puppy) please don't tell her off/ rub her nose in it just clean it up quietly

If you tell her off she will associate toileting in front of you with being told off and you'll have trouble getting her to go outside!

They learn quickly so please persevere and don't give up on her just yet

Sound advice thumbs up

P.s. I'm gonna hit Asda tomorrow myself I could use one of them too at times and £8 is a no brainer! Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Fri Feb 22 2013, 17:58

Hope they're still £8 haha, if not I think boots also has a baby event on so they might have a cheap one going!
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Feb 22 2013, 18:09

I've got 1 you can have if you live anywhere near me Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22 2013, 18:28

How long have you had Penny? What have you done to house train her?

Also, what is she fed on & what sort of exercise does she get?

Does she do it when you're in the house or only when you go out?

Sorry for all the questions!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22 2013, 18:31

need more info.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eris Fri Feb 22 2013, 20:21

As above, you've got to be very patient with her. House training can be difficult for some dogs - and with mine, although he now knows that he should toilet outside, he's only just learning how to ask me if I'm not sitting with him. As a result, for the last couple of weeks he's been sneaking off to go down the end of the kitchen, or upstairs in the bathroom.

If you haven't started house training, take her out regularly and ask her to go for a wee. I like to walk around the garden with them until they go, no matter how long it takes. When they do, they are the best dog in the whole entire world ever! Of course, don't startle her with too much enthusiasm! Repeat throughout the day.

If you see her have an accident, I would take her outside, so she associates these two events. I'm not sure if that's standard practice, but it seems to have worked for Roger.

Some dogs like puppy pads, so you could try those, to encourage her to go in one place, gradually moving the pads outside.

If she's been told off in the past for going inside, it's likely that she's trying to hide the problem. It also sounds as if she's looking for your scent, if she's going on the bed. I think she needs lots of reassurance as something may well have knocked her confidence. Obviously, I don't know your situation, but those are my suggestions.
Eris
Eris
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Lizzy, Roger
Dog(s) Ages : 9, U1
Dog Gender(s) : F, M
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25 2013, 15:54

well if anyone knows exactly how you feel its me!!

Id definitely get a baby gate, or a dog gate, because if Penny is anything like Alfie she will jum over it lol!

I had real problems with Alfies toilet training, I have started giving him a treat whenever he goes outside, he now knows if he goes in the garden he will get a treat - Ive never seen him run out into the garden so quick!

At night time the only way I have found to stop him peeing is to have him in bed with me. I dont mind this but obviously others dont like it. I have also got a crate for Alfie and it has done wonders! I know he is safe in there and it stops him peeing everywhere and chewing the house to bits! (my poor kitchen floor)

My housemate wanted me to get rid of Alfie because of toileting and chewing the house but I perservered and it has paid dividends. Trust me - you can do it! If Alfie can Penny can Smile Keep us posted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25 2013, 16:40

Good post Ellie.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25 2013, 16:41

Caryll wrote:Good post Ellie.

Smile One I can relate to!

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul H Mon Feb 25 2013, 17:10

ella wrote:have you tried a dog/baby gate at the bottom of the stairs to stop her going up.

^That.

please don't give your pooch up because of this!
Paul H
Paul H

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy
Dog(s) Ages : 1 - 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25 2013, 21:38

So glad to hear that things are going better for you and Alfie, Ellie.

Harlon, you've had some excellent advice here - please let us know how you get on, and don't give up!, please, Penny is still a baby.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down