Alfies crate

4 posters

Go down

Alfies crate Empty Alfies crate

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 16:25

Hi all,

So the dog trainer came today and advises me a crate is the way to go. She has lent me her crate; Alfie is very unsure of it. I have filled it with his bedding so its nice and comfy. I throw treats in there so he knows its not a terrible place. I fed him in there and he ate all his food but kept his back legs out of it because he didnt want to fully get in. I have filled his kong in there and he goes in and drags it back out the crafty thing!! Am i doing the right things and will he eventually get used to it? I was going to put him in there tonight but i dont know if its too soon as he is still very unsure?

Back to top Go down

Alfies crate Empty Re: Alfies crate

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 16:35

I think it's too soon. Ideally, it has to be his choice, you don't want to make him go in there before he's happy being in there. You're definitely doing all the right things, maybe just going to take a bit of time for him to make the leap of faith to enter the crate properly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 20:21

Thanks tara, i have sat down next to him and he got in so i gave him lots of fuss and now he is lying in it Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 21:08

Great to hear Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Mon Feb 18 2013, 21:20

have you thought about putting a blanket over it? Romeo's crate is a canvas one, and he is much more willing to go into that then when we had the metal one
Taryn
Taryn
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 21:23

I used to sit and stroke Tommy's head (like a little massage) when he was a pup to get him to go to sleep in his crate and then close the door and leave him day dreaming

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 21:41

He has blankets in his crate and i have one over the top and sides too :-) i coaxed him in there and stroked him until he lay down. I only have to sit by it now and he goes straight in on his own :-D havent tried shutting him in yet i want to make sure hes 100% happy to go in there first

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19 2013, 08:03

It just takes some dogs a while to except new things. Logan is very unsure of a lot of things, perfect example on my walk yesterday he was scared of a 40mph speed sign and lay down afraid to walk past it.

The only way to deal with it for me is to not make a fuss over him as it will be like nurturing his nervousness. I talk to him in a really stupid voice, and it breaks his concentration on whatever he is nervous of.

Logan choses to sleep on a blanket on the floor rather than his bed nowadays. He out grew his crate ages ago but in the time he used it, it helped him so much! I still talk to him in a comforting voice though before I go to bed, otherwise he'd just follow me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19 2013, 08:04

Also, good job on the progress! How has he been in general with the toilet training/chewing?

Back to top Go down

Post by VikkiGT4 Tue Feb 19 2013, 08:48

Get in the crate yourself Smile I did - it's well comfy and if Knox aint gonna use it I will Big Grin

He got in there with me last nite and we curled up together Smile too cute Smile
VikkiGT4
VikkiGT4
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Knox (RIP baby boy <3)
Support total : 234

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19 2013, 10:10

MatLogan wrote:Also, good job on the progress! How has he been in general with the toilet training/chewing?

Thanks Mat - wellas I have been there all weekend he has been good as gold! I have not locked him in the kitchen today because he will just be at the floor again, so I will see what damage (hopefully none!!) he has done when I get in.

I may put him in his crate tomorrow as my mum said she will pop in at lunch time to let him out and have a little play with him for a bit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19 2013, 10:17

The sounds really good.

Your Mum is helping a lot. If you speak extra nice to her maybe she'll do it every now and again for the next while lol. It would help you both progress even faster. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19 2013, 10:44

Well I did say id pay her for it - she is using her petrol after all and like you said, it will be a big help and get us there faster Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19 2013, 10:48

You can always count on your Mum. My wee Mum has Logan Mon-Fri from 6am-3.30pm (poor woman Laughing )

Back to top Go down

Post by VikkiGT4 Tue Feb 19 2013, 10:59

Aww where would we be without our Mother's eh? My Mum works part time but has Knox every Thursday and Friday afternoon. Can't wait for her to stop working or cut her hours down cos she'll have him even more then Big Grin lol *cheeky*
VikkiGT4
VikkiGT4

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19 2013, 11:05

Haha I wont be that lucky for her to have him all the time Laughing but if it gets him to enjoy his crate and learn to hold his bladder then a few weeks should be all it takes (hopefully lol!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19 2013, 11:07

VikkiGT4 wrote:Aww where would we be without our Mother's eh? My Mum works part time but has Knox every Thursday and Friday afternoon. Can't wait for her to stop working or cut her hours down cos she'll have him even more then Big Grin lol *cheeky*

Haha its like having a child and asking to babysit! I bet my mums dreading when I do have a baby Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by VikkiGT4 Tue Feb 19 2013, 11:08

Lol my Mum knows I don't want kids. They say never say never but with the zoo I have I'd never have the time or the patience for a child lol Smile
VikkiGT4
VikkiGT4

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Feb 19 2013, 14:21

Sounds like you are making some progress with the crate training as Alfie is going in there. It may take a while for him to be completely used to it but as he starts to trust you more he will become more settled himself.

You are doing very well so far and I'm sure Alfie will continue to make good progress.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19 2013, 14:44

Kathy wrote:Sounds like you are making some progress with the crate training as Alfie is going in there. It may take a while for him to be completely used to it but as he starts to trust you more he will become more settled himself.

You are doing very well so far and I'm sure Alfie will continue to make good progress.

Thank you Smile Im so proud of him already

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19 2013, 19:54

Ive just been out for an hour and left him in his crate and he was good as gold Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19 2013, 19:57

That's great Ellie! Crate training just seems to help so much. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19 2013, 20:16

EllieSmith wrote:Ive just been out for an hour and left him in his crate and he was good as gold Smile

See things are looking up already , and dogs can sense everything so if you're happy , he's happy and you are all a bit more chilled , well done both of you Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19 2013, 20:31

Thanks both Big Grin so relieved hes ok in it

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Tue Feb 19 2013, 22:06

Well done Love Struck
jola139
jola139