Crate training

2 posters

Go down

Crate training Empty Crate training

Post by Blonderace Tue Feb 12 2013, 12:21

Hello all, Tilly has always had a crate and willingly gets into it when we go out and at night. She is now 6 months old an I suggested to my OH that maybe when we pop out to the shops or for a run we should leave her asleep in situ in her bed or sofa. Would this be disruptive to her crate regime? I've never had a puppy before, just adult dogs who weren't crated at all.
Tia :-)
Blonderace
Blonderace
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Tilly
Dog(s) Ages : 15 months
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Crate training Empty Re: Crate training

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12 2013, 12:27

Dempsey (the first dog I've used a crate for) was shut in his crate when we went out for quite a while because he was (and still is to some extent) a really bad chewer! I started off leaving the crate door open at night and when I was sure that he was good with that I used to put him in the crate when I went out, but left the door partly open.

Nine times out of ten he was still in there when I came back, fast asleep! Now, when I get ready to go out he goes in there himself & lays down. It's his den.

Back to top Go down

Crate training Empty Re: Crate training

Post by Kathy Tue Feb 12 2013, 20:45

Caryll wrote:Now, when I get ready to go out he goes in there himself & lays down. It's his den.

This is exactly what Rocky does, it's like he knows when we are getting ready to go out and he will just pop himself into his crate. When we get back we always know that he has been asleep on our bed though because there is always a lovely warm patch where he has been lying there.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down