Training

3 posters

Go down

Training Empty Training

Post by anwyls Sat Feb 09 2013, 23:45

Hi I have a 3 year old female staffy that I regularly walk with my sisters 10 month old male staffy pup, mine is spayed but her pup is still entire and they intend to keed him that way. Both dogs adore each other but recently their play time seems to be most of the time him chasing her trying to mount her. They do still play alot but any chance he gets he is trying to mount her and this is no fun for my dog ! Mine has the temperament of a saint , she is really obedient , fantastic with other dogs and great with people and kids. Is this just a phase he is going through or is he likely to be like this unless they have him neutered ? Id hate to stop walking them together as they normally get on so well but lately as I say he is just focused on trying to mount her and completely ignores anything you say and my dog seems to be getting a bit fed up of him. Does anyone have any ideas on how we could maybe stop this and just get him to play normally ? thanks guys and I look forward to what yous have to say

anwyls
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Training Empty Re: Training

Post by rebeccaleanne Sat Feb 09 2013, 23:51

Sorry i can not really comment apart for this sort of reason. Hope he does settle down but someone will help who knows a little more! Big Grin
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10 2013, 09:39

I have a similar situation here, Logan is a bonkers 13 months un-neutered boy and my girlfriend's Stafford Izzy is a placid 4 year old spayed female.

When on walks he is constantly all over her too, however when she thinks it's too much she will correct him. He is twice her size but she has no problem telling him to back off as it's too much. If your sisters pup over steps his bounds your dog will do the same, as she is older and wiser. However, if she seems to be genuinely distressed feel free to break it up.

Young dogs will be boisterous especially young males. Neutering might help a bit but not enough in my opinion to warrant doing it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Feb 10 2013, 12:51

It may be a dominance issue as much as anything else and he is just pushing his luck, keep an eye on them if anything gets out of hand just step in and separate them.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down