Tug-of-War Making him Jump Up?

2 posters

Go down

Tug-of-War Making him Jump Up? Empty Tug-of-War Making him Jump Up?

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09 2013, 11:33

I thought we'd gotten over the jumping up and biting, but he still does it, and I'm starting to wonder if it's just him being a hyperactive youngster with selective deafness, or if all the playing and jumping up during tug-of-war is making him think it's OK. I've always let him, thinking it's OK because he's just playing, but now every time I greet him he's jumping up and biting. I turn around and tell him to sit and he does it, but then as soon as I stroke him he'll be up again. Takes three or four goes to get him to calm down. It's been going on for a while now, on and off. I'm just wondering if I need to try a different tactic (whatever that may be) or if he's just...being slow/stubborn and I should just carry on?

He also jumps up on me when I have an extra-good treat for him. I tell him 'off' and he gets off, but this doesn't prevent it, unfortunately. Just a few issues of having a super-excitable dog Laughing

Back to top Go down

Tug-of-War Making him Jump Up? Empty Re: Tug-of-War Making him Jump Up?

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09 2013, 11:44

He's still young and learning. We discouraged all jumping up regardless of the situation until we were sure that Suki understood that it wasn't allowed. You can still have a good game of tug of war without jumping up. Unless you want to rough play with him this is probally the best method.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrdog Sat Feb 09 2013, 12:18

i have the same problem with my pup everytime she sees me my kids or my gf she starts jumping up and biting although she knows not to bite hard its more like she just wants your hand in her mouth we have to tell her afew times to sit before she does but shes young and i think the excitement get the better of her i hope with a bit more work she will grow out of it
Mrdog
Mrdog
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Lexii
Dog(s) Ages : 6months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Feb 09 2013, 12:23

It sounds quite normal, if there is such a thing Laughing Keep doing what you are doing, by which I mean ignore the bad behaviour by turning your back on him. By all means have a good game with him but he is it to know when to stop.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09 2013, 13:02

jstaff wrote:He's still young and learning. We discouraged all jumping up regardless of the situation until we were sure that Suki understood that it wasn't allowed. You can still have a good game of tug of war without jumping up. Unless you want to rough play with him this is probally the best method.

I'm not sure how to discourage the jumping during tug-of-war though. I just end the game? He's perfectly happy playing with the toy on his own so I've never felt like that'd make a difference to him Laughing

Mrdog wrote:i have the same problem with my pup everytime she sees me my kids or my gf she starts jumping up and biting although she knows not to bite hard its more like she just wants your hand in her mouth we have to tell her afew times to sit before she does but shes young and i think the excitement get the better of her i hope with a bit more work she will grow out of it

Least she knows to be gentle, Loki forgets his jaws are powerful...99% of the time Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down