growling at people

2 posters

Go down

growling at people Empty growling at people

Post by vic12 Tue Feb 05 2013, 16:46

Hey my two and a half year old male has started growling at people (3 to be exact but its enough to cause me concern). The first two was at night and both time the people approached him I thought he may be scared ( although not an excuse) but then someone just came in the house and he started growling and jumping up at them and theywere obviously scared as I was. I took him away and gave him a firm no! So he sat and cried as he couldn't get to them.

He was quite problematic with jumping but I had managed to control it before and I have never used abusive tactics just a firm no!

He is the biggest sook ever with me and my family constantly looking for cuddles and claps and I am always praising staffs saying yhrre not the vicious dogs everyone thinks then mine goes and acts.like a brat!

I've also noticed he's growling at dogs a lot more now too although he was attacked a few weeks ago so Im thinking that might be why as he was on the lead, it wasn't.

Any advice would be great thanks
vic12
vic12
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

growling at people Empty Re: growling at people

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05 2013, 17:08

It could well be a result of the attack - he's getting his retaliation in first! Big Grin

A dog can get quite unsettled if it's attacked and it can't defend itself properly (ie when it's on a lead) and it can take a while to forget.

If you're concerned about guests coming in to your home, just pop him on a lead (the dog, that is, not the guest!), and make sure the guest has some treats in his/her pocket. Once everyone's settled, take your dog (sorry, I don't know his name) up to the guest and let them offer him a treat. that should break the ice!

Back to top Go down

Post by vic12 Tue Feb 05 2013, 18:21

Thanks his names Santino. I was doing that before when he was jumping on people that were coming in but it was just over excitment jumping up never growled.

I just don't want him to be vicious towards anyone. Not with dogs either for that matter but I can understand not all dogs get on.
vic12
vic12

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kateIrl Tue Feb 05 2013, 20:19

I agree with Caryll Smile one more thing that you can do instead keeping him on the lead when somebody is coming in tell him to sit down few meters away from the doors he can cry as much as he want and you can say no to him on that behavior or ignore him until he will finally calm down then you can give him a snack and let him go to your guests to say hallo Wink if he will jump on them and start growling send him back this few meters away tell him to sit down and repeat training Wink remember all training takes some time Wink sometimes even weeks Wink good luck Wink
kateIrl
kateIrl
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 22months
Support total : 37

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05 2013, 20:29

Caryll wrote:It could well be a result of the attack - he's getting his retaliation in first! Big Grin

A dog can get quite unsettled if it's attacked and it can't defend itself properly (ie when it's on a lead) and it can take a while to forget.

If you're concerned about guests coming in to your home, just pop him on a lead (the dog, that is, not the guest!), and make sure the guest has some treats in his/her pocket. Once everyone's settled, take your dog (sorry, I don't know his name) up to the guest and let them offer him a treat. that should break the ice!
Caryll is spot on. And just to reasure you, a few months back Kenny was attacked. He's never shown aggression towards any1. But after the attack, he growled and snarled at my hubby (who Kenny adores). Myselfs, at the time was very concerned, as he didnt seem himself for a few days. It's never happened again, and i dont for a minute think it will happen again. Try not to fuss him to much Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by vic12 Tue Feb 05 2013, 21:03

I will try not to but as it has been three different people I was a bit concerned especially as one of them was in the house he usually loves people coming in.
vic12
vic12

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06 2013, 22:50

They do get shaken up after an attack. It toke Kenny a few days to sort his head out.
I could be wrong, and im sure somebody will correct me. It may be best to keep him on a lead when some1 calls, if he's well behaved, reward him. If not, remove him, dont say a word, totally ignore him. Any attenion is attension. You could reinforce his behaviour if pay any attension to this behaviour. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down