I need help with my dog Max

3 posters

Go down

I need help with my dog Max Empty I need help with my dog Max

Post by Kimb&MooMan Fri Feb 01 2013, 13:40

Hi guys, I am new to this forum so ill post my introduction after this Smile
I have a Staffi X named Max, he is 5 years old, we have 2 issues with him.... new people and other dogs.

I suffer from social phobia, so Max goes with me everywhere, in my mind he's not my helper dog, hes my PET, i just take him every where with me, and this dog has helped me so much with my confidence, i consider him my best friend with out him I wouldnt be as i am now, so i owe him so much.

Basically it all started when he was 2 years old and I was living in London, i got mugged and stabbed with a screw driver, Max was with me and the robber had demanded for me to give Max to him, how ever I kept a very firm hold of the dog as Max would just maul the man.

anyway after that traumatic experience, Max's whole attitude towards strangers changed instantly, he went from being the most soppy dog to a constantly worried dog.
He only acts nervous when people get to close to him, other than that he will completely ignore people, even if they walk past him.
I worked on him for months and months and finally he was starting to let his guard down, but one day I tried to clip his nails and he wouldnt have none of it, so i called a vet and made an appointment.
We got there, and the vet explained that if it got to traumatic for him they will put him to sleep and do it that way ( put to sleep I dont mean killed )
they started clipping his nails and i have never in my life experienced such sadness, it took 5 vets to pin max down to do his nails, since then he seriously doesnt trust people now.

Im sorry for the long novel but i thought id explain first then ask.

He is under going training at the moment but its the same thing everytime...
Max has huge issues with muzzles, he goes from being VERY EXCITED to completely shutting him self down once the muzzle is on, there is no exciting him, nothing.
He knows with the muzzle on, he cant defend himself in case people hurt him ( which of course they wouldnt but in his mind he thinks they will ) so he just shuts down.

If its just me and my fiance and Keith ( the cat ) hes such an amazing dog to have around, loving, caring, loyal, he takes a lot of crap from the cat, ie biting, scratching, teasing, annoying. So really Max is an AMAZING dog.

I just need help on maybe trying to get him use to the muzzle and to show him that no one will harm him when he has it on, and that its fine to have it.
( ps the muzzle he has fits him comfortably ) its the baskerville ultra, he can still eat, drink and gets treats with it.

If theres any more information you need just ask ill be more than happy to answer Smile
Thanks for reading, Kim
Kimb&MooMan
Kimb&MooMan
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
I need help with my dog Max Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Little man
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

I need help with my dog Max Empty Re: I need help with my dog Max

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01 2013, 13:45

Sorry to hear of your traumatic event. I had a similar thing happen to me 4-5 years ago. It's very hard to get over.

Can I ask, when you say he is going through training, is it with a dog trainer or behaviour expert? To me it seems like an issue that would be better dealt with an expert to help you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01 2013, 13:46

oh crikey.. well he cerrainly has his reasons..
My boy doesn't trust people either and its because people always bark and growl at him trying to get him aggressive. And my staffs have always hated muzzles no matter what.
Getting him happy with people is going to take time and he needs to just build his trust back.

HELLO AND WELCOME Smile

Last edited by Jason on Fri Feb 01 2013, 13:48; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01 2013, 13:46

Oh, and...

Welcome to the forum. Your dog sounds like a hero Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimb&MooMan Fri Feb 01 2013, 14:05

MatLogan - He's in a socialization class.

I was hoping that once he does get his confidence back I could maybe join some agility courses Smile
He is VERY well trained, and is very clever!

for one instance, I was training him to stand and stay for a couple of seconds, it took him a few minutes to learn properly, and now hes learned to stand and walk over towards me on his to hind legs, he really is great Big Grin he learns things very quickly
Kimb&MooMan
Kimb&MooMan

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01 2013, 14:09

Ah that's great. It might be a matter of persistence and sticking with him until he gets there.

I've never used a muzzle before so I don't really know much about them. Some of the other members will no doubt have some good info on this.

Agility sounds like a great plan, a lot of Staffords do very well at it. I think I will try it myself when Logan is a bit older Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimb&MooMan Fri Feb 01 2013, 14:20

I think doing something like that for Max would be great as he is a very energetic and hyper dog lol. He'd love it!

Im sure ill get there in the end with Max, its just very scary always watching my back for someone to call RSPCA as i do get a lot of bad comments from people who own labs and other breeds.. ive had some very nasty comments and threats.
Its just really sad that these dogs have a very bad reputation and Ignorance certainly doesnt help, ive had people tease him, taunt him and even thrown stones at him!
Kimb&MooMan
Kimb&MooMan

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimb&MooMan Fri Feb 01 2013, 14:24

I forgot to mention this, we have discovered last saturday night that passing the lead to someone else seems to help, as Max doesnt seem bothered by that person then, infact he puts his 2 paws on them wanting strokes,
it just seems me doing the training my self works better, i know i need professional help but everything else that a trainers throws at him doesnt work, i just had this idea to give the lead to my friend ( which max hated ) and he was fine! he did of course have a muzzle on.
Kimb&MooMan
Kimb&MooMan

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 00:13

If you have to use a muzzle regularly keep putting it on and taking it off as often as possible in the house and other areas so that he gets used to it.

For the behaviour issues I would slowly start socialization again as often as possible. Start with one additional person and/or dog and go from there. He may also be picking up on any nervous energy that you have. If he senses you are scared or nervous he will think he should be as well and that he has to protect you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 01:11

Wow, really sorry to hear what happened to you and how it's affected Max Sad

I've never used a muzzle before, but I guess like jstaff said, keep putting it on and taking it off, playing with him and being silly with him, giving him lots of praise when it's on, maybe he'll start seeing it as not such a bad thing?

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Sun Feb 03 2013, 10:11

You find a lot of dogs don't like muzzles when i have tried to put one on mine he does back flips and throws himself all over the place trying to get it off he will not wear one end of story
dave g
dave g
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03 2013, 10:55

Aw , feel for you and Max and it does sound like you are finding some ways yourself to conquer this , what's he like with people you regularly meet on as daily / weekly basis etc same , less guarded

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03 2013, 19:11

Your dog is a hero. You might be transmitting your fear to him as dogs are sensitive to this. Have you tried a different type of muzzle? I use a mikki muzzle with Lola, she isn't keen on it but will wear it Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimb&MooMan Mon Feb 04 2013, 16:35

hi guys, sorry i havent been on till today.

a year ago i did show signs of being worried, scared and i had been told that that would transmit to the dog so i chilled out a lot more, so that shouldnt really be the issue, how ever ill still work on that Smile

I've been randomly putting the muzzle on max and giving him loads of praise and treats, i also put it around his collar sometimes so he walks with it, and ive put it in his bed at times also, all them times ive rewarded him.

I've tried the Mikki muzzle before, however he did manage to nip someone with it on still, plus in the summer time he finds it hard to drink and pant with it on, ive changed muzzles loads of time, the baskerville ( which im currently using ) is more comfortable for him, he gets to eat and drink, ive noticed with this one as well he doesnt try to rub it off, its just his whole shutting him self down with it on that hasent changed but im hopeful he'll get use to it

@ Dave, with MY family members he is completely fine with, I live about 4 hours away from them and i could go up to 6 months or more with out seeing any of them, when we do visit them or vice versa max goes absolutely nuts with excitement.
I moved here November 2011 and we have been introducing him to my fiances family, which unfortunately its going well at all!
Max sees my partners mum a lot and although he isnt really aggressive towards her, every now and then he does still try it, by growling, staring, just warning her really.

We were talking to a friend and they strongly advised us to take him to a trainer who is an ex army man, and he trains all the german shepherd and other dogs used in the army to be family pets so they could be re homed, and apparently he deals with dogs like Max alot so i may talk to him and see what he's all about.

It sounds stupid of me but i really dont want his personality to change, as his character is amazing to me.
id like to take him out again with me like i use to rather than only taking him around the block and get constant remarks from people Sad
Kimb&MooMan
Kimb&MooMan

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kateIrl Mon Feb 04 2013, 22:51

when you pass people on the street or meet friends while walking with Max what do you think of?? do you think about Max can do or not? will he be aggressive ? how he will react? if yes stop it. Relax enjoy the walk don't keep the lead to short leave it on a small loose . Remember the dog can feel your state of mind. He feels your energy and sometimes we makes them feel afraid or doubtfully. You Can involve friends or neighbors to train Max. Example : when you will walk with Max tell them to come to you for small conversation. keep an eye on Max. If you will see that he wants to sniff them let him to do it and give him a snack as a reward later on, but if you see that he is getting aggressive correct his behavior. Do it very assertive. Remember you are in charge not the dog. What do you have to teach Max is to ignore people and got him use to normal situations. He needs to know that there is no point to react every single time when some strangers are around. You are the one ho have to show him that not everyone wants to hurt you or him. OK am going to a muzzle Wink If you put the muzzle how he react. He doesn't want you to put it on? or he doesn't really care while putting? if he is trying to run away or his turning his head on the sides don't do it too fast or don't force him to put it on. do it gently and slowly. when you finally put it on reward him with words or stroke him. leave the muzzle for few minutes. then take it off and give Max a snack as a reword and maybe say something like good doggy , he needs to connect muzzle the ,,thing" with something good. Every single day leave the muzzle on for a longer time . OK that was my advice hope anything of it will be useful Wink
kateIrl
kateIrl
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 22months
Support total : 37

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content