Clipping Nails

4 posters

Go down

Clipping Nails Empty Clipping Nails

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29 2013, 23:17

My 13 month old pup's nails badly need clipping - they're like razors! Apart from his romps in the park, he also walks energetically every day - for miles - on pavements, but they don't wear his nails down one iota.

So, the time has come. I have some lovely guillotine nail clippers that work a treat, and as he has white claws I can see the quick very clearly and am confident I can do a good job providing he stays still. And that's the problem! Despite all the training he has had since he was tiny pup, he will NOT hold his paws still.

My question is - do I get my son to hold him in a grip of iron while I cut his nails (in which case he might think that his nearest and dearest are suddenly being horrible to him), or get our vet to do it (in which case I fear he might start to fear the vet), or get the PAH grooming parlour to do it (and how do they manage to work their magic? I'm afraid that Kuchar might dig his heels in about visiting there again as well).

I obviously don't want Kuchar to develop a fear of the vet, so would prefer to do this foul deed myself, but will he resent my son and me for using force on him?

How does everyone else manage? I'd be grateful for advice.

Back to top Go down

Clipping Nails Empty Re: Clipping Nails

Post by janey Tue Jan 29 2013, 23:21

Moo has never had them done. If she needed it I have a good relationship with my vets and most will have a nurse do it for free, my first was done at a poodle parlor! Coat a fiver. If you confident at doing it yourself then do it, its not hard but Moo is a squiggle butt lol Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29 2013, 23:42

I've never had to do lexi but I think it is because of tarmac. Pavement hasn't got lots of friction but tarmac has more little bobbles and holes so works better. As for wiggling I can't help lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30 2013, 00:20

We rarely have to cut Suki's but when we do we wait for her to be asleep. It takes a bit more time but we can usually get them done in a day or two.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30 2013, 05:23

Bought some clippers but never had to do therm yet , do it yourself and a nice tasty treat after Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Wed Jan 30 2013, 06:38

we have only had our dogs dew claws cut once and the village pet shop did it for free Smile
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Mani Wed Jan 30 2013, 09:21

Wife holds Mani while I cut. He'll sulk for a while, then forget about it later. It wasn't a problem when we lived in Central London, but since moving Mani only gets walks in the forest which don't wear down his nails enough.
Mani
Mani
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Clipping Nails Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mani
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male - neutered
Support total : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30 2013, 12:05

I've only ever had dew claws clipped. Logan barely has nails from walking. But, I've always went to the vet because I'd be heart afraid of doing it wrong. Logan is in love with the vet though, they have always been so good to him. I think he would do absolutely anything for her lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Jan 30 2013, 12:07

Rocky has his claws clipped at a local dog training centre that has a grooming parlour attached to it. He loves to go there as he gets loads of fuss from the ladies that work there, he is such a tart, and a treat at the end.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mani Wed Jan 30 2013, 12:16

MatLogan wrote:But, I've always went to the vet because I'd be heart afraid of doing it wrong.
Yeps, I cut one too short last weekend and there was a drop of blood coming out of it. The guilt trip got me down for 2, 3 hours... Mani was over it in minutes, whereas I kept dwelling on it. Tells you something about the importance of 'living in the present' as dogs do!
Mani
Mani
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Clipping Nails Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mani
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male - neutered
Support total : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30 2013, 18:21

Thanks everyone - seems a lot of you wimp out as well! Smile

I used to cut my Dobermanns' nails and they were like titanium and black as well, so I couldn't see the quick and once or twice did get some blood (and a yelp).

Kuchar's dewclaws are black but he tends to chew these down himself. It's his front claws I need to do and as they are white I am confident I can do a good job providing he doesn't struggle, and that's when accidents could happen. He would struggle for the vet as well, and the PAH ladies (who charge £15, but that includes nail varnish !!! which I would forego)

I hope Mani is right and the "living in the present" means that Kuchar will forgive us for the fight tomorrow!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down