Whats your view?

5 posters

Go down

Whats your view? Empty Whats your view?

Post by wimpy Sun Jan 27 2013, 17:18

While at the vets today with Alfie we spoke to her about neutering and what her opinion was. Our previous vet was the one that told us about it and was very much for it but our new vet was on the fence. We have been told if we do want it done it should be done between 5-6 months. It would be great to see how he is when he grows as to size and looks as a friend of mine has already said she would love to mate him with her Blue but that's not why we got him.
So I just want to get other owners views.

Cheers
Iain
wimpy
wimpy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 9 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

http://www.takeyourpicphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Whats your view? Empty Re: Whats your view?

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 17:20

It's a topic that always raises debates and many times gets a little heated Smile

Personally Tilly was done at about 18months old after her 2nd season, there are lots of reasons for doing it / not doing it but it is known to cause potential problems in growth if done early

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 17:22

i agree with dave ^

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Jan 27 2013, 17:32

Yes the choice really is yours and you will find as many arguments for as to against. Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 17:49

For a male i would never neuter before he is fully mature, it cane effect growth and he may look lanky. Its up to you at the end of the day. As for your friend, just tell them you are not interested in breeding.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 17:57

I'm not going to neuter Loki. After all the pros and cons were weighed out, I decided there's no point in getting him neutered at all. I have no female dog living with me and have no intention of breeding him, so no point in my opinion. But it's a personal decision.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 17:59

I think that is too young for him to be neutered in my opinion. If you have your heart set on doing it I'd wait until 18-24 months and give him a chance to fully grow. Everyone has different opinions on "when is right" though to be fair.

I've decided that i won't be neutering Logan. I won't be breeding or showing either. But, I'm happy the way he is. Plus he is never off lead so he will never get his paws on a girlfriend Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Eris Sun Jan 27 2013, 18:12

I don't have anything against neutering at the early stages of puberty, so long as you are aware that you'll need to wait longer before starting activities such as agility. I'm against neutering earlier than six months (later in some breeds) as it is simply unnecessary.

Loki was done at four months...three days after being found. It just seemed a bit silly to put such a baby through that. I don't really mind keeping puppy characteristics, but that's just me.

Myself, I'm always going to neuter any boys I have, simply because it's the only 100% sure way of keeping him from fathering a litter. I plan on waiting until he's roughly a year old as I'd like to take him to a few KC shows first, and also make sure he grows how nature intended.
Eris
Eris
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Lizzy, Roger
Dog(s) Ages : 9, U1
Dog Gender(s) : F, M
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by cheeky angel kim Sun Jan 27 2013, 18:49

i had rocky done when he was a year old just after i had him i was thinking of getting missy done after her first season or is it better to wait ? she is nearly 6 months
cheeky angel kim
cheeky angel kim

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : rocky & missy
Dog(s) Ages : 13 months & 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : male / female
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 19:06

I do not believe in routine neutering whether for males or females, and only if they medically need it and even then i would wait as long as possible i.e over 2 years minimum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 20:21

ella wrote:I do not believe in routine neutering whether for males or females, and only if they medically need it and even then i would wait as long as possible i.e over 2 years minimum

Same here.

I know that early neutering reduces the risk of certain cancers, but the incidence of these cancers is pretty low anyway. I've had 9 dogs, all except one were left entire. The one that was spayed was because of pyometra and she was about 4 years old. None of the others had any issues related to leaving them entire.

I'm not against neutering (although as I say, I won't get it done myself), but I would always advise waiting for full maturity (mental & physical) before I would consider it.

Back to top Go down

Post by kelpie Sun Jan 27 2013, 20:22

My decision with Rolo is this.. He will be neutered but.. I am leaving it till he is somewhere between 18 months and 2 years. I do not want to breed him, I do not want him getting cancer in that region. If he is done he is less appealing to some of the chav's that give him far to much attention, and that is a sad but true fact Sad He is my work dog and my pet and I believe it is part of being a responsible owner, especially in this day and age with so many staff's in rescue. It's just what is right for him in our family, and you must do what you think is right for you and yours Smile
kelpie
kelpie
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Whats your view? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rolo
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years old
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by wimpy Sun Jan 27 2013, 22:21

So after chatting with the wife about it we have decided that Alfie can keep his nuts and be a real bloke. As said above he will not be aloud a girlfriend and nor will he be going out on the town and sowing his seed. Laughing Cheers for all your views they were very helpful.

Iain
wimpy
wimpy

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 9 Months
Support total : 12

http://www.takeyourpicphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down