i need advice so i can advise .........

3 posters

Go down

i need advice so i can advise ......... Empty i need advice so i can advise .........

Post by rebeccaleanne Sun Jan 27 2013, 14:43

So as i may have said in passing before my sister has a small white staffy bitch called missy, she is absolutely adorable. My sister has two small children (my niece who is nearly 5 and nephew who is nearly two) she is the model dog with kids if they are getting too much she will take her self off. Now she has a small problem does my sister when out taking her for a walk. When she is off the lead she will walk to heal, she has great recall and is not dog aggressive (when walking past she acts as if they do not exist) the problem she has is when she is on the lead and my sister is holding the over end if she spots a person, kid, pram, dog basically anything that moves she puffs up (shes pretty lean so she looks like super women with the muscle) and starts grumbling and barking but it gets worse when my sister has the pram with her people are noticing more so its funny looks etc as far as we are aware when people have approached to stroke her the tails wagging etc so my sister wants to know what she can do?
also, i have spent alot of time with missy we have her on weekends when they have to be away and see most days, they problem has always been there but it is now getting worse. plus for missys safety she has to be on the lead at times.

I have recommend that she using distraction through reward, so when she see's the object of missys unease she distracts her through talking and once she listens reward with treat and praise. but as i am not 100% up on these sort of things i thought i would ask for your guys opinions Big Grin

cheers
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

i need advice so i can advise ......... Empty Re: i need advice so i can advise .........

Post by Mark Sun Jan 27 2013, 14:48

just do what you said maybe distract her with a nibble or something. The dog may be protecting the child in the pram etc. Maybe someone who has had a similar problem may help Smile
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

i need advice so i can advise ......... Empty Re: i need advice so i can advise .........

Post by rebeccaleanne Sun Jan 27 2013, 14:52

Wendy and Mark wrote:just do what you said maybe distract her with a nibble or something. The dog may be protecting the child in the pram etc. Maybe someone who has had a similar problem may help Smile

this what i said i think she is territorial they have just moved aswell and its a little more lively than before haha. when its my brother in law taking her on the lead she fine it just my sister and the little ones
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 14:58

Bella isn't always great with other dogs and distraction with a treat works most of the time with her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 17:19

Shes protecting her little brood is my guess. Distraction would work yes, but make sure to tell her not to treat if she is bad or she will think shes being treated for the bad behaviour!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sun Jan 27 2013, 17:49

Yep, as above Distraction and for ur sister to pre-empt behaviour.

Eg- someone or whatever approaches, get her to Sit - calmly. Give a treat for good behaviour.

Another thing she may be picking up on is ur sisters anxiety - it kinda vibrates down the lead ! The dog will know how ur sister feels and will act accordingly. (by being the leader)

My girl is the same, when I walk her it's a nightmare - but when my hubby walks her she's good as gold.

Whereas when I walk my boy he's good as gold but my hubby can't walk him lol ! So we have an agreement in our house lol!
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Sun Jan 27 2013, 20:50

Hayley wrote:Shes protecting her little brood is my guess. Distraction would work yes, but make sure to tell her not to treat if she is bad or she will think shes being treated for the bad behaviour!

no she doesn't she talk to her etc but think she just needs a little re enforcement i.e treats. Yes totally agree i think she feels protective of them but we do not know were this has come from...............

Jackieb wrote:Yep, as above Distraction and for ur sister to pre-empt behaviour.

Eg- someone or whatever approaches, get her to Sit - calmly. Give a treat for good behaviour.

Another thing she may be picking up on is ur sisters anxiety - it kinda vibrates down the lead ! The dog will know how ur sister feels and will act accordingly. (by being the leader)

My girl is the same, when I walk her it's a nightmare - but when my hubby walks her she's good as gold.

Whereas when I walk my boy he's good as gold but my hubby can't walk him lol ! So we have an agreement in our house lol!

haha least you have an agreement. Smile

thank you for the advice, will pass this onto her aswell, its kinda acting like nothing os coming but as you have advised ger her to sit and then reward Smile
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 21:29

Has she tried the watch me command? It works great with Suki when we spot something before she does.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28 2013, 19:35

Watch me works for me thumbs up or most of the time anyway at wits end

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down