dry food........fresh bones

3 posters

Go down

dry food........fresh bones Empty dry food........fresh bones

Post by rebeccaleanne Sat Jan 26 2013, 10:54

so after having advice on raw vs dry i have a few questions. so hear goes:

q1. can you start a raw diet at any stage in a dogs life (of course not when he is grey and old and got gummy teeth haha)
reason i ask is the raw diet looks very appealing for tyke BUT as probs explained before i am half way thru doing my kitchen and the fridge freezer at the mo just abouts fits our food in so i cant start at prescent due to space.

q2. as i cant start this diet now, could i get him raw bones from the butchers as a treat every now and again?

q3. If and when i raw feed, can i add raw veggies aswell or are there some does and donts on the veggie side of things?

q4. two meals a day or one meal?

thank you Smile
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

dry food........fresh bones Empty Re: dry food........fresh bones

Post by Mark Sat Jan 26 2013, 10:57

we feed dry but you can raw feed as your dog is 4. They dont digest raw veg well so if you can steam it lightly it will be better. I cant see any probs with bones just supervise when given Smile
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26 2013, 11:02

Can't answer all the questions, there are a few raw-feeders on here that will no doubt give you better advice. But you can start it at any age, and raw bones are fine as treats. I give Loki raw chicken wings for breakfast often.

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Sat Jan 26 2013, 11:06

Tara wrote:Can't answer all the questions, there are a few raw-feeders on here that will no doubt give you better advice. But you can start it at any age, and raw bones are fine as treats. I give Loki raw chicken wings for breakfast often.

any other bone you would reccommend as i think the chicken would go down whole (has a habit of just swalling treats whole) and knowing my look that would mean a trip to the vets!
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26 2013, 11:14

rebeccaleanne wrote:
Tara wrote:Can't answer all the questions, there are a few raw-feeders on here that will no doubt give you better advice. But you can start it at any age, and raw bones are fine as treats. I give Loki raw chicken wings for breakfast often.

any other bone you would reccommend as i think the chicken would go down whole (has a habit of just swalling treats whole) and knowing my look that would mean a trip to the vets!

I had the same worries, and people on here advised me to hold onto one end of the chicken wing so he couldn't swallow it whole. I didn't need to, but if you're worried about it, you can do that. They're the only bones he gets, so I can't recommend any personally, but I know you can feed them basically any raw bones. I think the only exception I've come across are marrow bones or something, because they're really hard. Don't take that as gospel though, I'd wait until someone with more knowledge can give you a proper answer Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26 2013, 11:48

yes you can start raw feeding at any stage
yes you can add veg if you wish (very little if any nutritanal value)
yes you can give raw bones as treats every so offen

the thing about load bearing marrow bones is they are very rich but can still be given as a chew treat but not really anygood as part of a meal Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26 2013, 11:48

If you're going to feed dry & raw, then do the raw in the morning (fast digestion time) and dry in the evening (slow digestion time). If you're just going to give the odd raw bone as a treat, then any time! I always feed 2 meals, anyway, to reduce the chances of bloat.

You cxan either hold on to the chicken wing to encourage chewing or (if you value your fingers) try something like lamb spines which are longer (no swallowing whole) but softer than other bones so are satifying for the dog.

If you want to add veg, you can, but if you're doing a proper raw diet they don't actually need them & unless they're pulped the dog gets little or no nutrition out of them anyway! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Sat Jan 26 2013, 12:22

Caryll wrote:If you're going to feed dry & raw, then do the raw in the morning (fast digestion time) and dry in the evening (slow digestion time). If you're just going to give the odd raw bone as a treat, then any time! I always feed 2 meals, anyway, to reduce the chances of bloat.

You cxan either hold on to the chicken wing to encourage chewing or (if you value your fingers) try something like lamb spines which are longer (no swallowing whole) but softer than other bones so are satifying for the dog.

If you want to add veg, you can, but if you're doing a proper raw diet they don't actually need them & unless they're pulped the dog gets little or no nutrition out of them anyway! Big Grin

i would feel far safer with lamb than chiken another quick one, whats the differance between a cooked bone and raw bone as i always grew up with 'do not give a dog a raw bone' i know its prob been covered but thought id ask again haha and thank you for the advice
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Sat Jan 26 2013, 12:24

Warren wrote:yes you can start raw feeding at any stage
yes you can add veg if you wish (very little if any nutritanal value)
yes you can give raw bones as treats every so offen

the thing about load bearing marrow bones is they are very rich but can still be given as a chew treat but not really anygood as part of a meal Big Grin

thank you for the answers Smile did not know that about veggies for the dogs
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26 2013, 12:45

Cooked bones have the danger of splintering/splitting and the shards can cut your dog or damage him inside if they are swallowed. I stupidly gave logan a cooked bone once and the poor wee scamp was throwing up for ages after to get the bits out. I'd avoid them at all costs. Raw bones are perfectly fine to give, but I always supervise because logan is a bit thick at times.

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Sat Jan 26 2013, 12:50

Cassie is on a raw diet and i find it so much more satisfying to see/hear her munching through her food knowing exactly what i put in her bowl. I don't have a big freezer and so i went to the butcher and told him what i was doing and explained i don't have the freezer space, and lied a little that the butcher in tesco was willing to help but i would rather support local Blushing , i convinced him it would mean less waste for him if i came in every 2-3 days to pick up the meat because i was buying still fresh meat but nearly to the point he wouldn't sell it. Cassie has had some fantastic cuts of meat that have made my mouth water, i pay 50p for 2 days worth of tripe sick and £1.20 for treats like 3 lamb hearts and he minces liver/spleen kidney all together for 50p 800gms
pongy
pongy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years (we think)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Sat Jan 26 2013, 12:55

MatLogan wrote:Cooked bones have the danger of splintering/splitting and the shards can cut your dog or damage him inside if they are swallowed. I stupidly gave logan a cooked bone once and the poor wee scamp was throwing up for ages after to get the bits out. I'd avoid them at all costs. Raw bones are perfectly fine to give, but I always supervise because logan is a bit thick at times.

tykes had one or two before and done exactly the same (bu they say there blinking safe) so thats why i stopped and wanted to give him something differant and something more natural! thanx Smile
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Sat Jan 26 2013, 12:58

dave742 wrote:Cassie is on a raw diet and i find it so much more satisfying to see/hear her munching through her food knowing exactly what i put in her bowl. I don't have a big freezer and so i went to the butcher and told him what i was doing and explained i don't have the freezer space, and lied a little that the butcher in tesco was willing to help but i would rather support local Blushing , i convinced him it would mean less waste for him if i came in every 2-3 days to pick up the meat because i was buying still fresh meat but nearly to the point he wouldn't sell it. Cassie has had some fantastic cuts of meat that have made my mouth water, i pay 50p for 2 days worth of tripe sick and £1.20 for treats like 3 lamb hearts and he minces liver/spleen kidney all together for 50p 800gms

Think am going to look more into the raw side (OH not that swayed yet) is there a list somewere on the forum of 'raw foods' just so i know what am asking for Big Grin
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Sat Jan 26 2013, 13:02

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/barfandrawdiets.html
pongy
pongy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Sat Jan 26 2013, 13:11

dave742 wrote:http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/barfandrawdiets.html

which one do you follow?
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Sat Jan 26 2013, 13:39

I don't follow i just vary her meats and fish to what i can get, the only thing i am very weary of is liver and i take bones away after a while(constapation), but i do cook her rice and add spices like ginger and things, but generally Cassie dictates what is her favourite, if something is left in her bowl for a while she gets it occassionally, like raw egg she hates the shell won't eat it at all, just follow your instinct and watch their weight. I found after being away for only 2 weeks they can add weight so fast if not exercised. But there are experts on here that will tell you correct way to feed
pongy
pongy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down