Really don't know where to turn next (aggression)

3 posters

Go down

Really don't know where to turn next (aggression) Empty Really don't know where to turn next (aggression)

Post by Lovemydogs Thu Jan 17 2013, 12:31

Hi Guys

I have a 4 1/5 year old bitch and a 3 year old boy, she's pure white and he's blue.. 1st 2 years they have got on great every picture taken they were laid together and played fantastic, this last year they just don't seem to get on, I think it started when they as have done before we're eating out of the same bowl which was the bitches and they just fought it was terrible .. But we thought it was a one if so didnt let them eat together after that, then a week later we let them out in the garden and a dog walked passed and they were barking but when the dog left, they turned their aggression on each other. We decided to get her spayed and him neutered, they seemed to calm down a bit but then one day we were all sat down and he looked at her and she just lunged at him .. So now we have to keep them separated at all times deviding our time between them, which isn't ideal. Last week accidentely they passed each other in the kitchen and just totally blanked each other but then one was let out of the front door and the other out of the back by my hubby and myself resulting in yet another tussle, we have had a dog trainer in but this hasn't worked either. I just don't know where to go next the environment is so stressful.. We are considering getting rid of the boy as he is the aggressor but who could we trust?? to take him on, he is even a nightmare to take out, he is absolutely fantastic on his own and with the kids and family it's just other dogs .. Any advice would be great I love my dogs to bits but the situation isn't ideal. Thanks
Lovemydogs
Lovemydogs
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lennox & Sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 3 & 4 1/5
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Really don't know where to turn next (aggression) Empty Re: Really don't know where to turn next (aggression)

Post by Guest Thu Jan 17 2013, 13:57

Oh, dear, what a situation you've found yourself in.

You say your boy is the aggressor, but earlier you say that she lunged at him?

I take it he's dog aggressive generally?

Your boy has just reached maturity, and this is a time when aggression often starts. It has very little to do with either of them being neutered, although it's always worth a try.

I would never allow two dogs to eat from the same bowl as it will often lead to trouble. It sounds as though it was the bitch that started the first tiff as well, as it was her bowl.

Have you thought about getting a qualified behaviourist in to assess them? In the meantime I would strongly advise you to keep both dogs muzzled to prevent any further problems.

Back to top Go down

Really don't know where to turn next (aggression) Empty Re: Really don't know where to turn next (aggression)

Post by Lovemydogs Thu Jan 17 2013, 14:19

Hi ... When the first incident happened she was just sat at the side of him patiently eating for him to finish as she did all the time and he went fit her .. Then the time in the garden he again went for her so consequently I think the third time she did think she was getting in there first as he has this look n we all know he's about to start so moved him into another room apart from the occasions he has managed to get her. Yes we have had a behaviourist in but that didn't work either. so now we don't muzzle them we just keep them separate.
Lovemydogs
Lovemydogs

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 17 2013, 14:21

What did the behaviourist say?

Have you thought about getting a couple of cage muzzles for during the day, and seperate them at night with the muzzles off?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovemydogs Thu Jan 17 2013, 15:56

She said its all about establishing who is pack leader and that we have to take charge as they both feel they have to protect us so they are fighting for leadership, she spoke to us for 2 hours but said not one of them seem they will back down. We seperate them all the time as I am so scared I wouldn't even trust a muzzle in case it came off.
Lovemydogs
Lovemydogs

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 17 2013, 16:29

I would try another behaviourist who doesn't subscribe to the old pack leader theory. It's utter rubbish. Why would either of them be protecting you from the other when they've never done it before?

If you have a good quality basket muzzle it won't come off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovemydogs Thu Jan 17 2013, 17:27

Ye maybe worth a try with another .. Thanks
Lovemydogs
Lovemydogs

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Jan 17 2013, 17:51

I hope you can get things sorted out between them both and you can live with them both together. However should the situation become impossible, I really hope it doesn't, you may want to think about letting one go to a rescue centre where the dog can be properly assessed to be rehomed. This would be the safest result for the dog in question.

May I ask where you got the dogs from ??

I would agree to seeing another behaviourist and go through it all with them. Try to get some of the behaviour on video if you can this may help them judge whats going on between the two dogs.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by rescuestaffords Thu Jan 17 2013, 19:42

I agree with Caryll - any one who refers to 'pack leader' has no idea what they are talking about!

rescuestaffords
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Really don't know where to turn next (aggression) Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovemydogs Thu Jan 17 2013, 19:52

We bought them both from friends that referred us to someone ... I would let the boy go if I could trust someone but I am so scared he would end up in the wrong hands or he would get out and be lost .. I love them both dearly but it's just not ideal at the moment. Maybe another behaviourist may help but they will want to put them together and I am so scared.
Lovemydogs
Lovemydogs

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 17 2013, 21:04

Lovemydogs wrote:We bought them both from friends that referred us to someone ... I would let the boy go if I could trust someone but I am so scared he would end up in the wrong hands or he would get out and be lost .. I love them both dearly but it's just not ideal at the moment. Maybe another behaviourist may help but they will want to put them together and I am so scared.

Have you had them both from pups?

Yes, a behaviourist would want to see them together, but with two of you there (at least) the chances of any damage being done would be minimal. No good behaviourist will put your dogs at risk.

If the worse comes to the worse, I would recommend you take the bitch to a rescue centre - manily because, as she isn't dog aggressive, she would have a better chance of finding a good home.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovemydogs Thu Jan 17 2013, 21:15

Yes both from pups .. There's no way the hubby would part with her she is like his baby n the other difficulty I have is I have my Grandad's German Shepard bitch as he passed away 6 week ago n the bitch gets on with her better than he does ..
Lovemydogs
Lovemydogs

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 17 2013, 21:20

Then there would be more of a problem trying to rehome the dog.

The best bet would be to try & make things work, and the only thing I can recommend is a qualified behaviourist. All of us here could give you tips on how to control/contain it, but without actually seeing what happens when one goes for the other it's very difficult to make a judgement - we could all be wrong & make matters worse. Sad

Whereabouts in the country are you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovemydogs Thu Jan 17 2013, 21:23

West Yorkshire ...
Lovemydogs
Lovemydogs

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovemydogs Thu Jan 17 2013, 21:25

I know trying to regime him would be the worst .. I don't think I could put him through that unless it was someone I knew where I could tell them what he was like .. Make sure they had a 7 foot fence etc Crying or Very sad
Lovemydogs
Lovemydogs

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovemydogs Thu Jan 17 2013, 21:26

Rehome*
Lovemydogs
Lovemydogs

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down