help in getting my pup used to being left alone

+4
jola139
jojobda
Kathy
karkar73
8 posters

Go down

help in getting my pup used to being left alone Empty help in getting my pup used to being left alone

Post by karkar73 Wed Jan 16 2013, 11:04

Hi need a little help please.

We have had our little girl Belle now for almost 3 weeks (she will be 11 weeks old on fri) and i have been at home for all of that time, i only need to go out to go shopping etc and for a max of 2 hours at any one time! when i go out she is kept in our kitchen with a baby gate on the entrance to the kitchen she has her bed with her toys ( she kept wetting in her crate even with the door open for her to come out!so we stopped using it) a bowl of water and i always leave the radio on for her, as soon as i leave i can hear her crying and whining Sad and she is still doing this when i get back and as soon as she sees me she is crying and jumping up wagging her tail and then wont leave my side( its lovely to be greeted this way don't get me wrong as long as its ok for her?)
I think she is soo used to being with me or my husband when he gets home from work and she has been allowed to get on our laps and cuddle and sleep on our laps.
She also sleeps in her bed next to our bed through the night and we take her out a couple of times.
Also since we have had her she had a poorly tummy and so was put on anti biotics and pro kolin from the vet for 5 days a week after we had her and then this weekend just gone was being sick so we cut down her food amounts each feed but gave her it more often which has sorted the problem out, so i think we have probably been over attentive to her?!
Any help in making her feel happier being left would be great many thanks Karen.
karkar73
karkar73
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Belle & Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : Belle is 2 years & Daisy is 22 months
Dog Gender(s) : Females
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

help in getting my pup used to being left alone Empty Re: help in getting my pup used to being left alone

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16 2013, 11:15

I don't think being over-attentive is the problem. Staffs, and puppies in general, love being around people, so the more of that they have, the better. I think you just have to start doing it gradually. Start off very slowly; leave the room for just a couple of seconds (don't make a fuss) and then come back into the room. Build up the time slowly. If you don't already, you can get her a StagBar (from Pets At Home or bought online from Amazon) for her to chew, keep her busy for a while, or a Kong. Also, before you leave, don't make a big deal out of it, no goodbyes or anything, just leave. If you make it seem normal, it'll be more normal for her.

Back to top Go down

help in getting my pup used to being left alone Empty Re: help in getting my pup used to being left alone

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16 2013, 11:25

Agree with Tara. Suki had terrible seperation anxiety when we first got her. We started leaving her alone for very small amounts of time and building up gradually. Exercise also helps if she is tired before you leave her she is likely to sleep.

Also try not to make a big deal about coming home. Ignore her for a little bit and than give her attention.

Back to top Go down

Post by karkar73 Wed Jan 16 2013, 11:31

Thanks jstaff, its all so over whelming at the start as a new owner i m soo glad i found this site with lots of help and support Smile
We have both grown up with dogs including staffs but its a whole new ball game when its totally your responsibilty and not your mum or dads lol
karkar73
karkar73

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16 2013, 11:34

Start of with 5 minutes or so. You can just go outside for a walk around the block or something. Do this multiple times everyday. The more often you leave her by herself the quicker she will get used to the idea of being on her own and that you will come back.

Don't react to the whinning or crying or she will associate getting a response with the behaviour and do it even more and for longer periods.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16 2013, 11:38

Firstly, Belle looks absolutely beautiful and you need more pictures up ASAP haha!

As for getting her used to being alone, start very very slowly. A few mins in another room at the start. Then work to leaving her in the house while you are outside the house possibly in the garden. Then work up to being able to leave her at home while you pop to the shops etc. I've only ever left Logan for about 45 mins tops, and he has been great. But it did take a fair bit of work to even get to this level!

Back to top Go down

Post by karkar73 Wed Jan 16 2013, 11:46

Thank you matlogan its nice to have soo much help here Smile
how do i go about getting photos on here? ive tried with no luck and i have loads on Facebook
karkar73
karkar73

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16 2013, 11:50

This will help with posting pics. You will need a photobucket account but it's free and easy to set up

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12017-how-to-post-a-photos-onto-the-forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Jan 16 2013, 11:57

Agree with all above, just build up the alone time gradually, you could also leave a radio on quietly in the background.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by karkar73 Wed Jan 16 2013, 12:03

Thank you Kathy Smile
karkar73
karkar73

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jojobda Wed Jan 16 2013, 13:16

We leave a radio on. Pandora has a nice Ambient Sound channel, with some soft nature new age type spa music, it has even put me to sleep lol. also something to occupy the mind, we have some of the toys that you can stuff with a treat, they will occupy themselves with their sole mission of "Get the treat", we find this can tire her out aswell. We still use the crate and have recently bought a black crate cover, that helps with nap time.
jojobda
jojobda
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
help in getting my pup used to being left alone Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : Oct. 16 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 40

https://www.facebook.com/jordan.trott.754

Back to top Go down

Post by karkar73 Wed Jan 16 2013, 14:15

Smile Thank you jojobda
karkar73
karkar73

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jojobda Wed Jan 16 2013, 14:35

karkar73 wrote: Smile Thank you jojobda

No problem, im still a newbie aswell hehe, i hope my advice given was acceptable. good luck :-) Cool
jojobda
jojobda
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
help in getting my pup used to being left alone Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : Oct. 16 2012
Support total : 40

https://www.facebook.com/jordan.trott.754

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Wed Jan 16 2013, 15:16

As above. Just want to add. When you leave the room and she starts crying- ignore. As soon as she stops go to her and praise her. You have to get the timing right and go to her before she starts crying again. Good luck. Oh she's lovely
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Post by HoneyBear Wed Jan 16 2013, 21:53

Practice, Practice, Practice. Everyone has given spot on advice. Good Luck!!!
HoneyBear
HoneyBear
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Honey
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen'sBailey Fri Jan 18 2013, 09:38

My boy Bailey is now 9 weeks and I take him to work everyday, I also take him home in the afternoons before picking up the girls as it is soooooo hot here and even in the car driving his toung hangs out that being the reason for his drop-off. He seems to be fine when I leave and really happy when I get back! Smile Hope your baby adjusts soon!!
Jen'sBailey
Jen'sBailey
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey & Bella
Dog(s) Ages : Nov 2012 & April 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Femal
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sat Jan 19 2013, 21:51

You can try leaving and old worn tshirt afound for comfort. Marley used to fish mine out the washing basket and curl up with it. Best thing is like others have said is dont make a fuss when you come home. In reality its prob one of the hardest things your going to have to do but walk through door thinking "for the greater good" its realy a mind set and a few months down line you can fuss up when they are used to you being away so dont worry it aint forever. We all love a doggy welcome home :0)
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by karkar73 Mon Jan 28 2013, 12:11

Thank you for all your help and advice, we seem to be getting there Smile x
karkar73
karkar73

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Mon Jan 28 2013, 12:36

Thankfully we never had this problem with Bacchus. If we put him in his crate he just goes to sleep. But he is a lazy little sod and very confident in himself.
I'm sure if you follow the advice of the seasoned staffy people it'll work out.
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down