kelpie
Mark
Kathy
mickgill
harlou
Beaney
17 posters

Go down

Many Sterotypes round your area? Empty Many Sterotypes round your area?

Post by Beaney Sun Jan 13 2013, 18:01

Hopefully have this in the right place..

Im constantly having problems when walking my staffy by people who judge the breed from what they see an hear from the media! when I lived at home I first noticied it when walking him up the park, you would have people walking with their wee yappy terriers trying to go for sam, but them pulling them away, but yet they look down in disgust at my dog, an walk on, or u just simply get people pulling their dog away incase sam would eat them, which he wouldnt touch them! I moved out, and bought my own house with my wife, an its no different now where im at, still get people doing exactly the same, Fed up with them, I actually turned one day and asked the woman did she have a problem?

because of the media/papers and hoods the dogs have got a bad name, but only true lovers of the animal know what they are really like, I suppose staffys aint the only dog that gets sterotyped, but does anyone else have these problems, or does it really annoy them????
Beaney
Beaney
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Sam
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Many Sterotypes round your area? Empty Re: Many Sterotypes round your area?

Post by harlou Sun Jan 13 2013, 18:03

Put a tshirt on him most people smile we do with olly ,if he doesnt have one on we get the odd walk over the road
harlou
harlou
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Many Sterotypes round your area? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : OLLY
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13 2013, 18:20

I honestly think it's improving round my way , see more staffs generally and although people still scowl as they walk by they do it more generally , though we still have our fair share of the handbag dog brigade crossing the road

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Sun Jan 13 2013, 18:25

Not to bad round my way , but a woman walking past with two terrier pups the other day , as her and her friend walk past with both dogs yapping at our Duke she made a comment about Bull breeds being dangerous dogs , she wished she hadn't after though my wife gave her a right dressing down and she did not know where to look, i do not think she will be so self righteous next time she see's a Bull breed .
mickgill
mickgill
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jan 13 2013, 19:06

I've stopped walking in a certain park now because of certain people and their little yappers, they really got up my nose.

Founds somewhere much better to walk now anyway.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Sun Jan 13 2013, 19:15

not bad here they usually give ours a stroke and a fuss which they love Smile
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by kelpie Sun Jan 13 2013, 20:51

As a rule it's not to bad round here, we get a few comments... had one lady refuse to come in to the dog training class because Rolo was there, and was going to eat her dog??? But Rolo wins most people round in a few seconds, with his singing and seriously over waggy tail.. he has quite a fan club locally now Smile
kelpie
kelpie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rolo
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years old
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Jan 13 2013, 23:01

We are lucky around here I have a park literally on my doorstep and as I have no yard we are out in the park 4-5 times a day there have been a couple of owners that have held their dogs back but there are a couple of DA staffys who are also black brindle that come to the park (they are no issue all owners are responsible and step to the side etc) but Ledger is always more focused on greeting the owner and usually makes eye contact with them doing the whole body wag winning over the park one owner at a time
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13 2013, 23:06

I get this all the time. Yet, Kenny usually trots on by. He was allways really friendly, until he got attacked. Now anything bigger than him is Fair game. Ken was on lead and the attecking dog was off. It wasnt major, but enough to change Kennys way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13 2013, 23:18

Not an problem here thankfully

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14 2013, 00:29

Not really. There are not many staffies in my area, and anytime the poshies see lexi they compliment her. I have only ever had one person ask if she was a pitbull and it was an out of town 10yo lad lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14 2013, 05:17

We get it a bit. But the best is we live in an area where kids come up to our gate and without a second thought they're on their knees, hands through the gate, fussing over Roxy and Vinny. We have one 6 year old girl on the street who's mad for them; another neighbour will take Roxy up to his toddler to play with and the other day a woman with a 3 week old baby let Roxy slobber her.

We've had some horrible run-ins lately, but the good has begun to outweigh the bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14 2013, 05:31

I don't have any problems. In fact, Staffs are really common. I go to the field five minutes away from my house and I see four Staffs there regularly. I've only seen two Staffs whose owners were typical trouble-causing young people, the rest were all normal dog owners.

When we took Loki to puppy classes, one of the women running it was saying when he's older people may judge him more because he's no longer and cute little puppy, and to buy him a colourful bandana or shirt or collar or something, because it's all about appearance; if he's wearing a studded collar, he'll look more like a 'typical vicious Staff' than if he was wearing a bandana. So maybe that'd help, but if I were you, I'd just learn to live with it. You have an amazing breed of dog, and you know that, so who cares if they think it or not?

Back to top Go down

Post by Oswald Mon Jan 14 2013, 10:24

We are not out and about yet but I have been looking out for other dogs walking in the area to gauge what sort of "prejudice" we could be up against and so far I have seen 2.... Yes 2 :/ a Maltese and a cross breed Heinz variety.

There are A LOT of dogs in my neighbourhood...but they are never walked. Or if they are it is very late at night. Our street has to be used to leave our section of town and I am yet to see anyone walk past with a dog. They just stay in their yard and bark when we walk past them Sad
Oswald
Oswald

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Oswald
Dog(s) Ages : 31/10/12
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14 2013, 11:43

everyone loves staffs where i'm from which is nice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Panda Mon Jan 14 2013, 14:05

Stereotyping is something that all Staffy owners have to put up with. Its everwhere, just try and keep above these people and dont let the b.....s get you down!
Panda
Panda
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Solomon
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Support total : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15 2013, 11:42

I get the odd stare and ignorant comment, because of Logan being a bigger Stafford and me being a young lad (25). There is a woman who lives a few doors down from me and when she sees me driving in with Logan in the car she runs to her door and tells all the kids to come inside! Logan is a friendly dog and I'm a big wimp so we are far from the false stereotype Laughing .

There is a wee couple who walk two mini Dachshunds where I walk. One day I was just wearing a hoodie and tracksuit bottoms because I was off work (lazy) and the woman said "Make sure that dog is NEVER off the lead, they are vicious dogs". A few days later I saw the same couple, I was wearing the clothes I wear to the office and the same woman said "That is a beautiful dog you have son".

Where I live I have found that Husky's seem to be the new "hard lad" dog. They are everywhere! I have a feeling in a few years they will be the dog that is attacked in the media.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15 2013, 12:10

MatLogan wrote:I get the odd stare and ignorant comment, because of Logan being a bigger Stafford and me being a young lad (25). There is a woman who lives a few doors down from me and when she sees me driving in with Logan in the car she runs to her door and tells all the kids to come inside! Logan is a friendly dog and I'm a big wimp so we are far from the false stereotype Laughing .

There is a wee couple who walk two mini Dachshunds where I walk. One day I was just wearing a hoodie and tracksuit bottoms because I was off work (lazy) and the woman said "Make sure that dog is NEVER off the lead, they are vicious dogs". A few days later I saw the same couple, I was wearing the clothes I wear to the office and the same woman said "That is a beautiful dog you have son".

Where I live I have found that Husky's seem to be the new "hard lad" dog. They are everywhere! I have a feeling in a few years they will be the dog that is attacked in the media.
Cannot stand people that tell me staffs are vicious. I cant help but educate there judgment..
yeah same here it husky's and akita's

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15 2013, 12:29

Jason wrote:Cannot stand people that tell me staffs are vicious. I cant help but educate there judgment..
yeah same here it husky's and akita's

I would try to talk to some people if they seem genuinely interested but I find certain people are best ignored. Some people would even go as far as thanking you for explaining Staffords. I had a wee man with a Schnauzer say thanks for letting him see they aren't gonna attack his dog because he was afraid when he saw them before.

Not too many Akita's here which I'm quite glad. They are a beautiful dog but far too strong for the young lads I see around the estate with the Huskys. I remember being a really young lad and to see a husky was really rare.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15 2013, 12:36

I just show them that its how you raise a staff or any dog, which is simple.
While i'm showing them they've often got some little Yorkie snarling for no reason. Who's got the vicious dog?

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlene_Frank Tue Jan 15 2013, 12:45

Where i used to live i had a few problems but it was always with the same lady whos dog attacked my little fella when he was a pup, but I've moved to the country side now and i live in a little community i suppose, which has 7 cottages, and everyone loves Frank and T! It's mainly older people, and they did give us permission to allow the dogs in to the fields out our back door ... Bonus!
The old lady next to me is always at her living room window and when she sees me getting home from work she is up and at the back door for me letting Frank and T out to play and shes there with a carrot each for them ... my normally hyper dogs are very careful around her as well which very impressive!!

x
Charlene_Frank
Charlene_Frank

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Frank and Tara
Dog(s) Ages : 19 Months and 21 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonTheStaffie Tue Jan 15 2013, 13:20

Where I live I can honestly say not many people (hardly anyone) has a problem most people actually let their dogs come near my staffy. Also there is loads of staffy's where I live, just the other day when I was out with my boy we eeen around 3 staffy's on our walk and a lot of people come stroke my dog stuff, although we've came across a women who looked at u funny and said staffy's were a evil breed.
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Dragon
Dog(s) Ages : DOB - 25-12-2010
Support total : 90

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Tue Jan 15 2013, 16:27

Lately I've been getting very positive responses from other dog walkers, who often approach and ask if their dog can meet mine.

The only time this doesn't happen is when I have a muzzled foster dog and a freshly shaven head - people tend to cross the street 50 metres up on those days. Laughing
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Tue Jan 15 2013, 16:44

Got a lovely response from a couple we meet regularly on our walks. The chap said that Bacchus totally dispels the staffie myths.
Although Bacchus is only 6 months and very boisterous around people and dogs, this couple love his friendly nature. Hope he continues this way.
BTW when my wife takes him out she is constantly surprised by the number of people who know him by name.
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Sashdog Wed Jan 16 2013, 11:24

Since we've had ozzie ive noticed it more, yesterday an oldish bloke turned him and his maltese round when he saw us coming ( rushed his dog to have a wee on the grass ) bare in mind ive got a 5 month old baby in a pushchair, he saw us still on the same path then crossed over?!
Why oh why would i have a big vicious dog and a baby, walking with them at the same time?! What did he think really.

Ozzie wasnt even interested, was just sniffing and walking by my side. Yeah he doesnt look the softest he has to wear a halti and a non pull harness, but he was on a short lead walking by my side.

I actually started walking faster to try catch up just to ask him what he thinks will happen and why?!
Annoyed me so much.

Thats the only one so far thoigh, everyone else has either fussed him or just carried on.
Sashdog
Sashdog

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Sash & Noonan
Dog(s) Ages : Sash born 23.08.2012 Noonan born 09.03.2013
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Thu Jan 17 2013, 19:57

Hi, we have had this same problem since tyke was fully grown. I had a border collie when i was growing up and never ever had a problem with her and she never use to be on a lead. Since setting up home and getting tyke i never realized how bad it was. We get this all the time, to were you can see the panic in peoples face. people with small dogs are worse. We generally have our son with us when we walk him who is only three and they generally walk side by side but we still get the looks as if we have a disease. It gets very upsetting were we rarely let him of his lead which is a shame as half the time he doesn't even bother unless the other dog wants to see him. we always said that if we ever got a dog we would have him surrounded by other animals and children from a day dot so he wouldnt bother or would know how to be around them. I totally blame the media and the hoodys who have made a lovable loyal breed look like a monster!!
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by amiandphoebe Thu Jan 17 2013, 21:12

We get the odd comment now and then. But I give as good as I get and lay out all the facts about other dogs, I hardly come up for breath lol. U should do it, there face is a picture and they don't know what to say.
amiandphoebe
amiandphoebe
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Phoebe
Dog(s) Ages : 7
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Thu Jan 17 2013, 21:38

People love em until they ask what they are to which i either get a worried person pulling away kids or dogs or get nice comments... I can tell 9 out of 10 time the reaction ill get when i say the cross but sometimes, and very rarley sometimes im proved pleasently wrong. I love those moments as it usualy means 20+ mins of chatting about the things most close to me :0)
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down