Feeding Twice a Day

3 posters

Go down

Feeding Twice a Day Empty Feeding Twice a Day

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08 2013, 16:02

A few days ago I decided to put Loki onto two meals a day, but ever since then he's been so restless around the time we'd usually feed him his middle meal. He just doesn't settle at all, he's always pacing the floor (which is how he lets us know he's hungry, thirsty or needs the toilet). He's eating the same amount, just that it's twice instead of three times. I didn't do it gradually though, do you think that's the problem?

Back to top Go down

Feeding Twice a Day Empty Re: Feeding Twice a Day

Post by goldie87 Tue Jan 08 2013, 16:19

Yep, thats exactly the problem. You can't just stop one feed like that.

When I switched Zeus onto two feeds a day, I gradually split his middle feed into his morning and evening feed.

For example, if I fed him 150g in the middle feed, I took off 20g each day and added 10g into his morning and 10g into his evening feed.
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08 2013, 17:01

Yes, you need to do it gradually. A lot of hunger is habit!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08 2013, 17:30

Ah, I'll go back to three meals and do it gradually then. Thanks Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08 2013, 17:31

Can't say anymore about it, but think of it from your own point of view, if you suddenly stopped eating lunch you would be very hungry at lunch time.

Back to top Go down

Post by rescuestaffords Tue Jan 08 2013, 18:35

I have always let my dogs tell me when they want to go down to 2 meals as mine have always stopped eating their lunch time meal.

rescuestaffords
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Feeding Twice a Day Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by durbster Wed Jan 09 2013, 14:39

rescuestaffords wrote:I have always let my dogs tell me when they want to go down to 2 meals as mine have always stopped eating their lunch time meal.
I don't think we could rely on Mia to let us know as I can't imagine her ever turning down food. Mia's stomach is something of a tardis - she eats every molecule of food she can get her mouth on as if it's the last bit of food on earth. If we're at somebody's house she'll spend hours sniffing every bit of floor for crumbs and when she's out there's very little she won't eat. She found half a packet of Polos the other day (which made a nice change from the usual disgusting stuff she shoves down her throat Smile)

Even if she's upstairs on the bed, the slightest rustle of a wrapper, the opening of a cupboard or the pop of a box lid, and there's an inevitable thud as she gracefully (ahem) jumps off the bed, then within a fraction of a second she's there, staring.
durbster
durbster
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Wed Jan 09 2013, 15:59

durbster wrote:
rescuestaffords wrote:I have always let my dogs tell me when they want to go down to 2 meals as mine have always stopped eating their lunch time meal.
I don't think we could rely on Mia to let us know as I can't imagine her ever turning down food. Mia's stomach is something of a tardis - she eats every molecule of food she can get her mouth on as if it's the last bit of food on earth. If we're at somebody's house she'll spend hours sniffing every bit of floor for crumbs and when she's out there's very little she won't eat. She found half a packet of Polos the other day (which made a nice change from the usual disgusting stuff she shoves down her throat Smile)

Even if she's upstairs on the bed, the slightest rustle of a wrapper, the opening of a cupboard or the pop of a box lid, and there's an inevitable thud as she gracefully (ahem) jumps off the bed, then within a fraction of a second she's there, staring.

Exactly what I thought when I read that comment, Zeus would obliterate anything you put infront of him!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down