Puppy constantly biting.

3 posters

Go down

Puppy constantly biting. Empty Puppy constantly biting.

Post by jafski Mon Dec 31 2012, 19:04

My 9 weeks old puppy constantly bites EVERYTHING, including our hair (which made her sick the other day). We tapped her nose to tell her off but read online it was wrong, so we started just saying a stern NO but she barks and thinks we're playing. She's now getting into the habbit of biting ears and noses and just general skin. What can we do?
jafski
jafski
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Saige
Dog(s) Ages : 9 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Puppy constantly biting. Empty Re: Puppy constantly biting.

Post by janey Mon Dec 31 2012, 19:14

Welcome to puppy hood Laughing

There isn't a quick fix, just takes training, if she nips pop her on the floor and give her something else to chew.

They learn Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 31 2012, 19:40

I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but she's just being a puppy.

Every time she nips, give her a firm, but calm "No!". Then turn away & totally ignore her. Don't even make eye contact. If she carries on just put her out of the room for a few seconds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 31 2012, 20:33

What Caryll said Big Grin just don't expect it to work right away. She's a puppy, she plays with her teeth, she explores with her teeth, she's pushing boundaries, and she doesn't yet know the rules. Loki was terrible with the biting and I thought it'd never get any better, but it did, it just took a while. So even if it feels like it isn't working, it is, it just takes some puppies longer than others to get the hang of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 31 2012, 21:32

Here is a link that will help

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/stopyourstaffypuppybiting.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sem Tue Jan 01 2013, 19:10

This may upset some people, but I did tend to use the 'finger tap' method. A quick tap with one finger across the nose, and a stern 'No!': I found that it got her attention and gave her a light shock to draw her attention to the fact that biting was unacceptable.

It hasn't made her in any way 'hand-shy', jumpy or nervous, Staffs are strong, physical dogs, and a light, reasonable tap to the nose is not going to injure your dog or turn it into a nervous wreck (unless it is of a very poor temperament). I am in no way advocating vicious or vindictive or violent behavior.
Sem
Sem
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Luna
Dog(s) Ages : 2 & 6 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 01 2013, 19:21

Sem wrote:This may upset some people, but I did tend to use the 'finger tap' method. A quick tap with one finger across the nose, and a stern 'No!': I found that it got her attention and gave her a light shock to draw her attention to the fact that biting was unacceptable.

It hasn't made her in any way 'hand-shy', jumpy or nervous, Staffs are strong, physical dogs, and a light, reasonable tap to the nose is not going to injure your dog or turn it into a nervous wreck (unless it is of a very poor temperament). I am in no way advocating vicious or vindictive or violent behavior.

I'd never recommend that one. It may not have harmed your dog in the least, but I've seen it make dogs hand/head shy in the past. There's also no need for physical punishment as the pup's only doing what is instinctive & just needs to be shown what is or isn't acceptable.

Although Staffords are strong & very physical, they also tend to be very emotionally sensitive dogs, whic (in my opinion) is what makes them such wonderful dogs with people.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 01 2013, 23:48

Sem wrote:This may upset some people, but I did tend to use the 'finger tap' method. A quick tap with one finger across the nose, and a stern 'No!': I found that it got her attention and gave her a light shock to draw her attention to the fact that biting was unacceptable.

Depends on the dog too though. It would never have worked on Loki because nothing seems to give him a 'shock.' In fact, to get his attention, I can just touch his head (not even a tap, just a touch) and he'll look up at me. It isn't really about whether or not you hurt the dog. I mean, dogs are very strong, even puppies. Much stronger than they seem. A light kick wouldn't physically damage an adult large breed dog, and yet it does more harm than good. I just think, even though it doesn't physically harm them, there's no real reason to use it and risk their sensitivity damaging the trust they have in you. Ignoring them works wonders because of how much they crave human attention.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down