Polly Pocket
Kathy
Mark
janey
Keith
Jackieb
13 posters

Go down

Do your staffys .... Empty Do your staffys ....

Post by Jackieb Mon Dec 31 2012, 18:28

.... Make you feel safe and secure ?

Especially at night.

Haven't ever felt as secure as I do since having my 2.

They react to any odd noise at night and will alert us, which means we sleep more soundly.

When someone's knocks on the front door they bark ( which is great IMO) it alerts me. Altho they adore pretty much everyone that comes to the door lol. !

U can always count on a staffy cuddle when ur feeling like *.

When ur cold, they will warm u.

What more could u want ?
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Do your staffys .... Empty Re: Do your staffys ....

Post by Keith Mon Dec 31 2012, 18:48

Never relied on a dog to make me feel secure but felt fairly invincible when I had a gigantic GSD on foster a while back - soft as a brush but so much presence.

Most of the staffies I've owned, or fostered, would hide behind the sofa if a nasty man broke in. Laughing
Keith
Keith
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Dec 31 2012, 18:50

I don't really appreciate her barking at the door at three in the morning with the wind blowing, and then she expects me to go and check it out Laughing

But no, I couldn't imagine life without her, forgotten what that was Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Mon Dec 31 2012, 18:58

now we have 2 definitely do feel secure but would they attack an intruder or lick them into submission Laughing
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Dec 31 2012, 19:03

I certainly feel safer having Rocky around, I hate the area I live in anyway it's far too violent with too many undesirables around. Rocky is great company during the day and a great comfort at night.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 31 2012, 20:21

Loki barks at odd noises but not normal things like knocking on the door, so in that sense I do feel safe. But honestly, I never care to worry about these things Laughing I feel safer walking him at night though. I'd actually never walked around at night before I got Loki, and the first time I took him out when it was dark, he saw someone suspicious climbing out of someone's back yard and started barking with his hackles up. Ever since then I feel fine taking him out when it's dark Big Grin

As for the cuddles, they're always lovely.

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly Pocket Mon Dec 31 2012, 20:51

We have never had 2 more useless dogs to be guard dogs, they sleep through the doorbell, sneak up on the postman and lick him like mad, want to jump up and love everyone they meet and are scared of the wind blowing on them and rain Laughing
We have good locks on the doors and windows and live in a nice area though Smile
Polly Pocket
Polly Pocket
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Polly, Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 30/1/11 & 15/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Mon Dec 31 2012, 21:49

Good question, for safe and sound then no...when out on night walks i find myself protecting them pulling them behind me is we meet conflict. Once marley did cover my back when i was sneaked up on fending off brats in front of me. But the feeling i love most is marley having pushed himself under the bed covers during the night and snuggled up to me while laska thinks shes a hat...cant beat it for contentment, i hate getting out of bed at best of times but for the pure love of two special animals it makes it extra hard getting up...especially as tomorrow is last doggy lie in until the weekend...god im never gonna get a woman lol
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 31 2012, 22:25

Can't honestly say that my Staff makes me feel more secure at night.

He'll woof at unexpected noises (like the thunder on christmas morning) but doesn't thank heavens bark when someone knocks at the door. Or indeed, comes in at it. That doesn't worry me as i know he'd only lick them to death anyway, even if they were intent on stealing the family silver.

My dobes on the other hand sounded off at everything and this could be a pain. The only consolation here was that I knew that any "do-badder" would be scared at the sight of an alert Dobermann.

So I'd say in general that no, Staffs aren't natural guard dogs. If any would-be intruder is scared of Staffs, then great!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 01 2013, 00:54

yeah i agree..

Ramsey is 5 and half months old and he already has a really deep bark. He barks at the door when someone knocks. He barks at people that run up to us (idiots), and barks on command which is brilliant imo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 01 2013, 18:44

Yes Jackieb they make me feel secure. If there was an intruder they would jump all over them and Lola would bite (as she mouths still). This would be from friendliness but would scare someone who didn't know Laughing I can get Lily to bark on command. I am currently trying to teach her to be quiet when I don't want her to!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue Jan 01 2013, 19:14

Biscuit is the worst guard dog imaginable, the only time she's ever really reacted to the door was when she saw my house mates shadow in the window and thought that there was someone in the garden; but even then when I told her to "go see" she hid behind me, peering out barking every so often! Laughing

But I must admit when I lived in the rougher area of town I did feel more secure when out at night if I had her with me! In the house she doesn't even look up when the post man arrives and positively wiggles from head to toe now when someone knocks at the door.. think I've made her too friendly?! It's generally me protecting her! Laughing
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Jan 03 2013, 05:05

Only Frosty will bark at strange noises and go to investigate. Monte hides as does Pigglette. Makes me feel like I might be alerted as Frosty is always on the lookout, but don't know if it came down to it what they would do. My wife says she feels safer so I go along with that. Otherwise, she might feel like she needs to worry when I am away for work.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Taz Thu Jan 03 2013, 18:33

Not at all .. I have spent a total of approximately 18 years living alone and have had extremely dark times in my life, there isn't much that phases me.

It is however, extremely rewarding, to have a companion that accepts me as I am, for who I am, regardless of the weather. And no nasty personality quirks included like ones from jealous human associates. Big Grin

And she's extremely cute with an awesome personality and a sexy build to go with it .. Laughing
Taz
Taz
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Do your staffys .... Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : 'lil Miss Taz Devil Demoania ~ TAZ
Dog(s) Ages : 31:05:2011
Dog Gender(s) : She's a lady, a tinker, a beauty, an a real b!tch
Support total : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlene_Frank Wed Jan 09 2013, 15:13

Tara wont even lift her head if she hears a noise … knock on the door, bangs, nothing but if you have nipped to the bins outside and come back in she acts like you have been gone for weeks with the full body worm going on.. but she will only come to see who has come in if she knows the voice lol …

Frank on the other hand will run from where every he is to the bottom of the stairs (which is the opposite of the house to the door) and will bark like a nutter for us to go and check who’s there will he hides …

So no I don’t think I do feel safer but thankfully I now live out in the country side so we don’t get any one around that the dogs don’t know!! And thankfully no one selling things chap the door either Tongues
Charlene_Frank
Charlene_Frank

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Frank and Tara
Dog(s) Ages : 19 Months and 21 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Wed Jan 09 2013, 15:28

Taz wrote:Not at all .. I have spent a total of approximately 18 years living alone and have had extremely dark times in my life, there isn't much that phases me.

It is however, extremely rewarding, to have a companion that accepts me as I am, for who I am, regardless of the weather. And no nasty personality quirks included like ones from jealous human associates. Big Grin

And she's extremely cute with an awesome personality and a sexy build to go with it .. Laughing

Well said thats what dog partnership is about. Cassie knows my deepest darkest secrets and still loves me unconditionally but as for protection and feeling safer no, a dog bouncing about like a loonatic licking all she meets is no guard dog which is why things like this make me laugh http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beware-I-Live-Here-Staffy-Warning-Sign-/370589662390 lol
pongy
pongy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years (we think)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by jmorton Wed Jan 09 2013, 15:58

Bandit barks at door knocks, but only because he can't wait to see who it is. He also barks like crazy at anyone who comes up to the fence. Luckily it is not fence aggression, he just can't wait for them to come in and play ball. What I have always liked though, especially before my husband came to live with us, is that strangers will always read this as aggressive and I always felt safer because of that.

Fortunately, those who know Bandit, know he is just excitably greeting them. Once you are invited inside the door or fence he calms right down and only cares about you if you're willing to throw his ball or have treats! So I guess people being unable to read dog's body language has made me feel safer.

Unfortunately, that only works when we are home. People have come in to drop things off or do work in the house when we aren't here and didn't even know we had a dog. If it's not one of us, Bandit doesn't make a sound from his crate!
jmorton
jmorton
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bandit
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down