Can anyone recommend a training class for Yeovil?

3 posters

Go down

Can anyone recommend a training class for Yeovil? Empty Can anyone recommend a training class for Yeovil?

Post by JessAndLottie Wed Dec 26 2012, 21:06

I'm looking for a training class in the Yeovil area, can anybody recommend one? I've tried looking on google, the main one that comes up I won't go to, the others are like in Sherborne, I was hoping for something closer. Some are just agility or for showing, so I'm not sure what to look for. I took Lottie to a training class in Suffolk when I was visiting my mum and I enjoyed it so much, working with Lottie, it did her so much good and she was shattered afterwards - she slept all evening and through to the next day! However I'm also somewhat hesitant, as my mum once went to a training class local to where I live, with a very nervous foster dog and it went wrong and set the dog back weeks (who eventually had to pts) which is why I would like to visit a training class alone first.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions! Smile
JessAndLottie
JessAndLottie
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lottie
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Can anyone recommend a training class for Yeovil? Empty Re: Can anyone recommend a training class for Yeovil?

Post by janey Wed Dec 26 2012, 21:19

Ask your vets mate, I'm starting hydrotherapy next month for Moo's joints but they also do a fun class! Amazing Big Grin
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Can anyone recommend a training class for Yeovil? Empty Re: Can anyone recommend a training class for Yeovil?

Post by Kathy Wed Dec 26 2012, 21:25

Agree with Janey, have a word with your vet, or ask around any dog walkers in your local park if they know of anywhere they can recommend.

If your dog is from a rescue centre try having a word with them too. Or phone a local one to see if they can recommend anyone either.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by JessAndLottie Wed Dec 26 2012, 22:21

I will try at vets when I'm there for Lottie's boosters in January Smile The rescue I got her from does do training but not only is it based at their shelter which is at least 40 minutes away, I'm also not entirely sure how I feel about it - one trainer doesn't believe in pack leadership and I don't really agree with that - I agree with lots of different methods, but I always want Lottie to trust me and rely on me as her leader - and she does look to me for cues. I love that kind of partnership, I don't believe dogs are simply reactive to stimuli like plants, with no emotion affecting their behaviour.

I'm in no rush for a class but I do feel that Lottie is capable of so much more, she is a bright spark, personally I'd love to see her in all sorts like weight pull, go to ground, doggie dancing, agility, I even think she could do herding with the right trainer (after seeing her attempt to herd feral cats!). ^^'
One thing I noticed in the training class though, was in between the tasks when we were waiting and having something explained to us, she would cry very loudly until we were walking/doing something again - would you say she was finding it too easy or would you say she was anxious about the situation? One task was walking up to a person with a dog and keeping your dogs attention on you at all times, hold a sit stay for as long you felt comfortable, then walk round the person and back to your start position. She did amazing, perfect but still cried when we waited for the opposite side to do the same activity?!
JessAndLottie
JessAndLottie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lottie
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Dec 26 2012, 22:46

Moo always has to have the last word Laughing Staffy thing!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down