Bailey chasing his tail constantly........really neurotically !!

5 posters

Go down

Bailey chasing his tail constantly........really neurotically !! Empty Bailey chasing his tail constantly........really neurotically !!

Post by lindypeno Fri Dec 21 2012, 14:58

Hi everyone,
Not been on here for a while but as usual where there is a problem, I come to you guys to put me straight... For ages now Bailey has been chasing his tail and not just a little.....seems like constantly....I let him out for his first pee on a morning and he just barks at it and goes round and round chasing it.... Take him out for a long walk, comes back in and chases it, it's like he has lost it......!!!

I don't know what to do with him at the moment, he plays with Tia my other staff but has started to pee up the kitchen wall as well. He gets out, he has loads of toys and bones, but seems to be neurotic.

Any suggestions??

Happy Christmas everyone too Smile

lindypeno
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tia and Bailey
Dog(s) Ages : 14 weeks and 2yrs
Dog Gender(s) : girl and boy
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Bailey chasing his tail constantly........really neurotically !! Empty Re: Bailey chasing his tail constantly........really neurotically !!

Post by Mark Fri Dec 21 2012, 15:01

you must stop him immediately from doing that. Usually its either boedom or they can get like an ocd complex. Its not uncommon for them to do that but not the amount of time he has been doing it. Either tell him to stop or get his attention with a treat Smile
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Bailey chasing his tail constantly........really neurotically !! Empty Re: Bailey chasing his tail constantly........really neurotically !!

Post by lindypeno Fri Dec 21 2012, 15:28

We try all the time.....even now I am stroking him but you can see he wants to be off to chase it...I think he has gone already with it, he lives to do it. Can a vet do anything, what about a collar..??? would that help for a while.

lindypeno

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Fri Dec 21 2012, 15:38

dont know if a vet will help its more of a mental thing. You could try pre occupying him with play such as hide and seek. Put some treats around the room when he isnt looking and tell him to find them. Also tug of war wears them out a little too, anything to keep him from chasing. Is he left alone for long periods has there been any changes to his routine. Things like that can set them off.
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Fri Dec 21 2012, 15:50

Have a quick look at this see if it helps or links from there
http://www.vetstreet.com/dogs/why-does-my-dog-chase-his-tail
pongy
pongy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years (we think)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by lindypeno Fri Dec 21 2012, 15:56

Hi we have moved recently but he has a huge kitchen to run about in. I do put him and Tia in a large dog crate on a night... But I am here all day with them practically..

It's also the fact he has started peeing where ever he feels he wants to...He just cocked his leg and does it and it seems to be stressing my other staff out bless her, she looks to say, your so doing things wrong !!

Also I have looking it all up and it sounds so like Bailey bless him...I know now he can not help himself.

It does go to the vet and they can recommend some maybe treatment to help calm him.

lindypeno

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lindypeno Fri Dec 21 2012, 15:58

It also says in the study of this in dogs is nothing to do with them not being walked enough, because they said after a 2 hour walk they can still come back and do it. So that makes me feel better, thinking it's my fault.

Oh I think a trip to the Vet, and see what he says.

lindypeno

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Fri Dec 21 2012, 16:20

Could be the move that has unsettled him.

Go bk to basics, and peeing n marking he has done u need to thoroughly clean. Biological solution is good for this.

Few mins if training per day, treat or toy rewards. And plenty of exercise !

When he's chasing his tail, distract him, with some reward based training.
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by kelpie Fri Dec 21 2012, 22:14

Hi,
I'm with Jackieb on this.... back to basics, and distract him when he gives that first glance at his tail... Rolo has moments of it.... Spins round quicker than a whirling dervish... makes me feel sick watching him. But get in there, I use the word "stop" then "Toy time" that refocuses him on his toy box and he gets the reward of a play session. I think if you go to the vet they will probably tell you the same or refer you to a good trainer/ behaviorist. Rolo does it more in the mornings, when he's full of energy but also moments of such excitement he just doesn't know what to do with himself. It's a sort of psychological release... We now try to keep a lid on it... but sometimes he still does it, if not his tail it's a toy in his mouth that he spins with. Sad
kelpie
kelpie
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Bailey chasing his tail constantly........really neurotically !! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rolo
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down