Stressful couple of days.

5 posters

Go down

Stressful couple of days.   Empty Stressful couple of days.

Post by shiva'smummy Wed Dec 19 2012, 03:23

Oh dear, what a horrid couple of days.

Sometimes when you offer Shiva a treat she nearly bites your finger off. We are trying to teach her to be gentle but she is only 8 weeks so she will get there. Well in her haste the other day she took her kibble so fast that she choked. I know what to do if a baby chokes but not a puppy. So in a mad panic I tried everything from turning her upside down, patting her back, rubbing her belly to giving her water. So she Shiva was fine then the next day I idiotically left switched on the wrong ring on the cooker which had a glass covering on it which exploded. When I went in to check out the noise Shiva trotted in behind me and sniffed the floor. I picked her up immediately and whisked her off to the vets because I was terrified she had swallowed glass. On the way back after the all clear, I had her in my arms only to be approached by an inquisitive Russian Wolfdog. I was convinced the Wolfdog was eyeing her like she was for lunch and the darn thing wouldn't go away. He was probably just checking out the puppy (or wondering why this crazy human holding her was freaking out so much).

Well I have managed to settle myself down. I feel bad for judging the poor Wolfdog as Shiva will probably be judged in turn because of her breed but something about her being a puppy for now is just making me frantic at times. This must be what a newborn is like.

Anyhoo I thought I would share in case there are any new staffy owners that are turning into freaked out crazy ladies.

P>S I'm not usually so clumsy that I explode glass over my kitchen. This puppy is just so distracting!
shiva'smummy
shiva'smummy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Stressful couple of days.   Empty Re: Stressful couple of days.

Post by Mark Wed Dec 19 2012, 07:42

You have had a stressful time. I would try and relax a bit now. Puppies can be such a worry and hard work but I'm sure you will be fine. Smile
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19 2012, 09:05

The first week can be terrifying for new mums and dads Laughing and yes much like bringing your newborn baby home you tend to overthink.. Try to relax and enjoy your little bundle, we are always here for any worries you may have Big Grin There is usually always someone around with good advice

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Dec 19 2012, 09:34

Any new dog can be a worry especially pups when you need eyes in the back of your head! Try and relax with Silva, you will look back on these days in time and laugh Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Dec 19 2012, 09:51

That sounds normal! I was a very overprotective mum when I had my first one 7 years ago, now we are on to the third stafford so I just throw her in at the deep end and let her get on with it. Give it four weeks and you wont be so scared, they are tough little things! In regards to the nipping your finger when you give her a treat close your hand around the treat when you are going to give it to her. tell her 'leave' and open your hand (she will try and take the treat), close your hand and say 'leave' again, keep repeating this, the second she hesitates then use your other hand to give her a treat, they pick things up quickly in no time and soon as you tell her 'leave' she will sit and wait. Remember to always give her a treat from your other hand (this minimises snatching and lunging for the treat).
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan330 Wed Dec 19 2012, 14:50

Puppys are harder than babies... You can turn your back on a baby for five minutes!
Dan330
Dan330
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Monty
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19 2012, 16:40

Sounds like my amount of worry. I remember the first couple of nights, I wouldn't sleep, I just used to watch Loki sleeping because I used to think he'd stopped breathing or he was suffocating himself. But honestly, they're resilient little things Big Grin they're tough even though they don't look it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19 2012, 21:55

ANattyRat wrote:Sounds like my amount of worry. I remember the first couple of nights, I wouldn't sleep, I just used to watch Loki sleeping because I used to think he'd stopped breathing or he was suffocating himself. But honestly, they're resilient little things Big Grin they're tough even though they don't look it.

Laughing Ohh Tara you are in for a hard road if you ever decide to have babies Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down