Buster bumble
Nosipho
Dan330
Polly Pocket
Fraggle
karent
10 posters

Go down

How can we put Buster into his own bed, please help Empty How can we put Buster into his own bed, please help

Post by karent Fri Dec 14 2012, 11:07

We have a problem to solve with Buster, he was 3 yesterday and ever since we had him my daughter let him sleep in her bedroom. Throughout the night Buster gets in and out of her bed, obviously when he's cold he gets in, when he gets too hot he gets out. The problem is that he has bald patches due to his colour (blue). So we feel that he really does get cold and that's why he gets in the bed.

My daughter is now pregnant and is worried as she knows that Buster will have to stop sleeping with her when the baby is here, the problem is that we don't know how to go about this. We know that we have to do it soon as the baby is due in February and he has to be in a new routine. We worry that if we make him sleep downstairs in his basket he may get too cold. He does have a nice dog bed in there but it's not as warm down there as it is in the bedroom, it does get quite cold.

The other problem is, that as he's been treated more like a human than a dog, we are very worried that he may not accept the baby having the attention, but we are not the type to push the dog out or to make him go into another room to separate them. Without sounding stupid, is there anyone out there that has experienced any problems like these and if so what did you do about them please? doh
This is Buster in Danielle's bed, just been woken up, not amused lol.
How can we put Buster into his own bed, please help Busterinbed_zpsa4941c11
karent
karent
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Buster and Suzie
Dog(s) Ages : 3 and 10
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

How can we put Buster into his own bed, please help Empty Re: How can we put Buster into his own bed, please help

Post by Guest Fri Dec 14 2012, 11:19

Great pic Love Struck I'm sorry I don't have advice on getting him to sleep in his own bed, but if you think it is too cold you could give him some blankets or a jumper? Good luck hee hee

As for the baby, when he/she is born bring something like a blankie or singlet that the baby wears while at hospital that has bubs scent on it and give it to Buster so he gets used to the new smell of the baby, then when bub is bought home he will already identify with his/her scent.. I'm sure you will get plenty more valuable advice from someone more experienced in this soon.. By the way, Congrats Grandma Big Grin

Back to top Go down

How can we put Buster into his own bed, please help Empty Re: How can we put Buster into his own bed, please help

Post by karent Fri Dec 14 2012, 11:28

Thank you Kat
karent
karent

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Fraggle Fri Dec 14 2012, 11:36

No advice i'm afraid but he looks so happy there I don't envy you the transition.
I never now what's worse with a new baby ... toddlers or pets thinking
Fraggle
Fraggle
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Luna
Dog(s) Ages : 8 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly Pocket Fri Dec 14 2012, 11:51

Hi Karen,
We are in a very similar situation, our daughter is expecting her first baby next year, and both of our dogs (9 months and 22 months) tend to play musical beds in the night between us and her, you might wake up with one or both of them, they have blankets on Jenny's bed and ours in case they get cold.
Jenny is not bothered about the dogs being in her bed once the baby is born, she isn't planning on letting the baby sleep in her bed, and during feeding and changing I'm sure the dogs will be either running for fresh air or making sure their new human puppy is getting all the love and cuddles it needs.
When the baby comes home he/she will be laid on the floor for a full supervised inspection once they stop bouncing about all over us, hopefully they will react as our old family dogs did when we bought Jenny home from the hospital 26 years ago and decide they like the new member of the family and start to bond with it. Love Struck Love Struck Love Struck

Congratulations and hope all goes smoothly for you all Smile
Polly Pocket
Polly Pocket

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Polly, Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 30/1/11 & 15/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by karent Fri Dec 14 2012, 12:17

Thank you Polly Pocket, that sounds like good advise. I love the dogs so much I can't bear to think of them being put out in any way
karent
karent

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly Pocket Fri Dec 14 2012, 13:24

LOL I just know we are going to have to buy dummies in bulk though, I can't see them lasting anytime at all if they land on the floor rolling on the floor although it wouldn't surprise me to see either of the daft dogs trying to suck a dummy like a baby rolling on the floor
Polly Pocket
Polly Pocket

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Polly, Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 30/1/11 & 15/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan330 Fri Dec 14 2012, 13:29

Lock him downstairs and ignore. He will make a fuss and lots of noise for maybe a few nights and then will get used to it. Make sure he has loads of blankets andf toys.

Problem solved!
Dan330
Dan330

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Monty
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 14 2012, 13:35

Loki has a jumper and we cover him with a blanket, so you can try that if you want.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Fri Dec 14 2012, 15:32

You'll have to be firm and consistant. He isn't going to like it to start with and will probably kick up a stink! Does she just not want him in her bed or in the room all together? If its that she wants more bed space then maybe put his bed in her room and make him know he is no longer welcome on her bed by sending him to his every time he goes to get up. Otherwise you will have to be cruel to be kind I'm afraid and shut the door on him when she is ready to go to bed. A hot water bottle, jumper, doggy PJ's ( Rolling Eyes ) or a snuggley blanket would probably keep him warm.
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster bumble Fri Dec 14 2012, 15:47

Try putting a crate in the room . Hope all turns out well
Buster bumble
Buster bumble
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Buster
Dog(s) Ages : 4and a half month
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster bumble Fri Dec 14 2012, 15:51

Great pics if you want him out the room even try putting crate in hallway he will try all the sad faces and unhappy noises. But try and ignore .
Buster bumble
Buster bumble

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Buster
Dog(s) Ages : 4and a half month
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Panda Fri Dec 14 2012, 17:16

Is it possible to make up a dog bed the same height as your daughters bed and pulled up right by the side of it?
Panda
Panda

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Solomon
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Support total : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 14 2012, 17:52

Don't see why your daughter having the baby should stop the dog sleeping in her bed, once they have started this habit (like my 2 Big Grin ) It's vberyu difficult to tell them no more

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabbiadini Fri Dec 14 2012, 21:47

Crate in daughter's room is a logical solution??
Gabbiadini
Gabbiadini

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 14 2012, 21:50

Sorry, i cant offer any advice. Im the same, Kenny is treated like a human too. And i must say, what a hansom Love Struck dog he is

Back to top Go down

Post by karent Sat Dec 15 2012, 10:46

Thanks everyone, I agree with Dave, just leave him, but my daughter is saying that she has a bad nights sleep with him as he's in and out of her duvet all night and keeps waking her when he does this. I suppose that with the baby waking her through the night also, she's worried that she's going to get very little sleep. I think that putting his bed in her bedroom and being consistent with him, is the best suggestion for us.

As for a crate, this is out of the question, we've tried a crate with him in the past and we think he has a problem with confined spaces, he panicked so much each time we tried him, that we thought he was going to rip his claws out, it was heartbreaking to see and hear it.
karent
karent

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Dec 17 2012, 11:51

I cant help, but please dont lock him out, that would be the worse thing to do. I dont know if this would help, We have an old quilt, that we put on top of Pixees bed, we tuck the ends to the outside of her bed, and leave a gap for her to poke her head out if she needs to, and its very warm in that enclose, she does get cold in the night otherwise, every morning when the alarm goes off, she jumps into our bed and she is still lovely and warm. Perhaps you could try putting Busters bed next to your daughters bed, with a nice blanket or quilt on top and go from there.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by karent Tue Dec 18 2012, 21:24

Hi Staffy lover, there's no way we'd ever lock him out he's such a big part of our family. We will try your advice and thank you Smile

karent
karent

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Dec 19 2012, 09:27

karent wrote:Hi Staffy lover, there's no way we'd ever lock him out he's such a big part of our family. We will try your advice and thank you Smile

thumbs up hope it works >Big Grin<
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by hamish_bean Mon Dec 24 2012, 14:13

To get my dog to sleep in his own bed i found that putting a hot water bottle (mine was a a hot water bottle within a teddy) in his bed about 10-15 minutes before you want to put him bed really helps. I did this for months and he slept straight through at night
hamish_bean
hamish_bean

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buzz, Max, Gary
Dog(s) Ages : 5 years, 2 years, 4 Months
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down