Overweight?

Go down

Overweight? Empty Overweight?

Post by RosieRose Tue Dec 11 2012, 03:37

She's 18 (or 19) months and stands at 17-18 inches tall to her shoulders. She weighs 21kg and her teets are still hanging from her previous litter (mind you I don't know how long ago that was, but I assume at least more than a month ago) and don't seem to bounce back - which makes me think it's cuz she's got a bit too much tub. You can't see her ribs, so from what I read she is overweight... What do you all think?
Funny story though, when she turns around and tries biting her bum she falls on her back Laughing

I was given a large bag of Chum from her previous owner but she has very little interest in it unless mixed with wet food. I give her a cup in the morning and would normally leave the bowl there for the day. When I put the bowl down she has a mouthful then walks off. She also has bones/meat scraps every now and then and I currently give her Schmakos liver treats while we're training.
RosieRose
RosieRose
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rosie
Dog(s) Ages : 19 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Overweight? Empty Re: Overweight?

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11 2012, 03:53

I'm unsure by her height whether she is overweight, although it does sound like she is a little tubby Laughing

Are you going to keep her on Chum? It's not a great food filled with garbage they don't need.. You know Chum is made by Mars (as in the chocolate/confectionery brand not the planet Laughing ) and it really has as much nutritional value as a mars bar.. It is full of corn and low grade grains..Schmakos also are full of colors and preservatives.. You can get better liver treats (and cheaper) from many pet food suppliers or online.. Schmakos and Chum are both by Pedigree which is notoriously bad for nutritional value in pet food.. Basically with what you are feeding her at the moment it's equivalent to having a child that is only feed on takeaway food and lollies.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosieRose Tue Dec 11 2012, 03:56

Laughing Really? Hahaha
I want to get better dry food, but this is an enormous bag of Chum. I feel bad throwing it out. I found out the other night that she likes frozen veggies Smile I might try that?
When walking her, what's the best sign that she's ready to go home? I'm sure she'd love to walk forever but I don't want to exercise her too much in this heat
RosieRose
RosieRose

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11 2012, 04:12

As for the food, whenever you change food it needs to be done gradually so you could buy a better food and mix it with the Chum to wean her off it.. I now feed a Raw diet which is a lot cheaper than dry food, but when Steff was eating dry I gave her Eagle Pack Puppy from My Pet Warehouse, and she loved it.. It's got no fillers so it's a good one and about $35 for 3kg bag.

As for walks as long as you have take some water she still should get 2 walks a day for about 45mins - 1hr but If it's possible try having an early morning walk then an evening walk when it's a bit cooler.. I've been exercising Steff through the heat with a sprinkler Laughing she chases the water around and wears herself out. I also walk at 6am and again at 6pm.. But you know it's only gonna get hotter from here until March

Back to top Go down

Post by RosieRose Tue Dec 11 2012, 04:16

Yeah I suppose I'll just stick to the raw food then, she eats it with no problems. But still have 15kg of Chum to get through too haha

I work shift work so every day is different when it comes to her walks. She gets a short walk in the mornings and she then sleeps all day. In the late afternoon she gets a good long walk.
RosieRose
RosieRose

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11 2012, 04:28

Surprised 15kgs Laughing Oh well Rosie may be tubby for a little while longer then Laughing

I think Raw is best, for me anyway, as it is cheaper and you don't need a degree to work out what is it.. Some of these dogfoods can be quite hard to figure what your actually feeding confused

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11 2012, 05:42

Any chance of some pics to see what her weight looks like? If she's had more than one litter (and at her age she could have had three!) her teats might take a while to go back down, and might never fully. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down