my mums pup

3 posters

Go down

my mums pup  Empty my mums pup

Post by Kazbp Wed Dec 05 2012, 10:48

Hi all,
My parents have taken on a 7 month old staffie cross, hes a big boy at 22kg, he has so many good qualities but he is giving them some problems. He has only been with them for 3 weeks now so well aware he is still settling in. He is a very clever boy and always seems to be looking for trouble, he has a 45 min walk in the morning, and a longer one in the evening but it seems he has several moments in the afternoon when my mum is on her own he gets a bit nippy, he has nipped her bottom and top of her leg when he starts to jump up at her, she is being firm, have advised her to yelp, he then trys to chew anything he can. He doesnt play my dad up, myself or my sister as we are all used to big dogs ( having 2 Good staffies myself and a dogue de bordeaux!) but mum is trying really hard, he has moments when he is very calm, but them his "naughty" moments, when he is looking for stuff to do. mum works for a few hours in which he is in a huge crate, when mum gets home she lets him out for a wee, then he gets his kong to knock around the kitchen, then he has a quiet time and lets mum do things like clean his eyes, ears and snuggles for cuddles, then he wakes up in a naughty mood. Any tips??I am going to get him another type of chew/kong so he gets in a routine of different toys at certain times to keep him stimulated until his work in the evening when dad takes him out. i just him to stop the naughtiness as he is a lovely boy, my sister and my kids go round, i would hate for him to nip anyone in play.

Thanks
Kazbp
Kazbp
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sasha, Reggie SBT and Belle DDB
Dog(s) Ages : 12, 8 months, 10
Dog Gender(s) : female, male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

my mums pup  Empty Re: my mums pup

Post by Jellytot Wed Dec 05 2012, 11:03

I'm no expert so someone will be along soon to advise you - but Ralph did exactly the same as what you are saying... I would guess he's doing it for attention. What I did with Ralph was to put him in 'time out', for me this is the other side of the baby gate. So he soon learnt that when he nips he doesn't get any attention, and he'll soon stop.

Be consistant here - that's the key.
Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazbp Wed Dec 05 2012, 11:12

thanks jelly tot, i have given them my old dog gate which is across the kitchen, and they have been using time out, which does help, i think the hardest thing is i took on my blue boy at the same age, he has been a angel, but does help that my two old ladies are helping him grow up nicely and teaching him manners, i should'nt compare them as they are so different ( especially as i have twin daughters and try so hard not to compare them with each other as they are so different) but reg is more laid back, and has fitted into out family , where as Sid is quite demanding!

Any good types of hard wearing toys, have kong etc, maybe one he needs to work out as he is clever
Kazbp
Kazbp

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05 2012, 11:49

Sid sounds like a typical teenager! Rolling Eyes

When he jumps & nips, exactly what does your mum do? You see, with some dogs a yelp is an invitation to play, it makes them more excitable. If she yelps & he carries on, I'd change how she deals with it to a firm "No!" and then turn away - no interraction at all, not even eye contact. If he carries on after that, then lead him out of the room without saying a word until he's calm again.

For things to do if he's a chewer, get your mum to freeze a couple of carrots or bananas, or fill a kong with peanut butter & freeze that. They can keep them occupied for ages! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Dec 05 2012, 12:00

Maybe some more toys to keep his mind occupied would be an idea. We use old egg boxes or cereal boxes for Rocky and just put a few treats inside so he has to work out how to get to them. Kongs are great too anything where he has to think what to do. It's the mental exertion which will tire him out quickly.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05 2012, 12:23

He is still a baby so is pushing boundaries. Lola does that biting thing, if you turn round she bites your leg or bum. I have found putting my hand gently on her jaws to shut her mouth and say 'no biting' helps, also trying to make her sit. what I discovered recently is to say the no biting then when she calms put her kong or some sort of toy in her mouth. This really helps she just runs off wiggling with excitement with the toy Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05 2012, 17:09

Loki's around the same age and has started having some mad moments where he jumps up, tries to rag my sleeves around and treat my hair like a tug-of-war toy. He was out of that behaviour but, much to my dismay, the silly fool has decided to bring it back again Laughing. Just have to be consistent. Tell your mum to tell him no and then turn around and ignore him. If that doesn't help, take him out of the room into another room for a moment. As for the chewing...a Kong filled with peanut butter or yoghurt and frozen is good. Or a StagBar, they're great Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazbp Thu Dec 06 2012, 12:14

went to mums yesterday after i finished work, to find my dad was home, mum had gone out into the garden to call sid in, he had been fine since she came in from work, had his kong etc, he went up to her as she was walking back in, and sniffed her feet area, then bit her trousers and wouldnt let go, he has ripped all her trouser leg, and left mum in tears, he didnt actually bite her, but left her feeling very upset, he was good when i got in, and dad was in.
Kazbp
Kazbp

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 06 2012, 13:51

Does he respond to "leave"?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazbp Thu Dec 06 2012, 20:51

no, booked a behaviourist to come and see him.
Kazbp
Kazbp

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down