On lead aggression? UPDATED!!!

+4
rescuestaffords
Mark
Kathy
Jellytot
8 posters

Go down

On lead aggression? UPDATED!!!  Empty On lead aggression? UPDATED!!!

Post by Jellytot Wed Dec 05 2012, 10:40

Having a few issues with Ralph on the lead when he meets another dog, who is either on lead or off...

When he approaches the other dog, or the other dog approaches him, he starts growling and pulling – you know that nasty growl that says I’m going to fight you...

This only happens when he’s on lead.

The other day over the park a red setter came over to us, Ralph was on lead as we were about to leave and Ralph started growling and snarling and pulling to get to the red setter. I pulled him away, but the stupid setter kept coming. The guy was calling it, but it wasn’t listening and I had to drag Ralph away growling and making a terrible noise...

Then we was walking with the lady Ralph went to puppy classes with and whilst Ralph was still on lead – we’d only just got there, he took a similar dislike to a labradoodle... exactly the same thing happened and I had to keep Ralph on the lead the whole time. I tried him off, and he just went for this dog.

Every evening I take Ralph round the block about 8.00pm for his last walk before bed, and last night we met a guy with a Jack Russell down the lane. Same thing happened, as I tried to pull Ralph to go past the guy, Ralph starts growling, snarling and trying to get at this other dog.

It’s worrying as we are going to meet other dogs sometimes. We are going to have to walk past them and it’s not good for Ralph to be showing this behaviour.

The other half says that he has no issues with Ralph off lead when he meets other dogs on his other walks during the day – no aggression at all.

I know dogs can be a bit funny when on the lead as they feel restricted... any ideas about how to try and prevent this?

Last edited by Jellytot on Sun Jan 06 2013, 09:03; edited 1 time in total
Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

On lead aggression? UPDATED!!!  Empty Re: On lead aggression? UPDATED!!!

Post by Kathy Wed Dec 05 2012, 12:06

Try to get Ralph to sit down and keep him calm if possible, use a quiet calm voice when talking to him and also try using the Watch Me command. Ask the owner of the other dog if they can put it on the lead then they will have control of their dog too.

I have the same issue with Rocky now after an attack earlier this year where Rocky was bitten quite bad on his head. I try not to pull him around and just talk quietly to him and get him to sit down.

Hope you have some success with Ralph, please let us know how you get on.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Wed Dec 05 2012, 12:31

It is worrying maybe as mentioned when approaching other dogs just try to reassure him and keep him calm. He may calm down if you repeat this every time. Smile
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Wed Dec 05 2012, 20:29

As far as I'm aware I'm calm, although I guess I may give off 'vibes' as I now think 'oh pants, another dog, will Ralph behave'.

He knows watch me, so I'll try and give that a go.

Thank you.
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Wed Jan 02 2013, 20:53

Hi guys. Following on from this, it's not going too well!

I have started asking the owner if Ralph can say hello. If they say yes, I allow Ralph to go and have a sniff then move on. This tactic seems to work.

If they say no, I try the watch me command, which he just won't do because he's interested in the other dog. I have tried allowing the other dog to pass so I don't pull Ralph away, but he growls, if I move him away, he growls.

Any other ideas on this? I would like to be able to take him places without worrying about him on lead.

When he's off lead by the way, he's as good as gold.
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rescuestaffords Wed Jan 02 2013, 21:19

Is he 10 months like your profile says? Has he been castrated?

rescuestaffords
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
On lead aggression? UPDATED!!!  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Wed Jan 02 2013, 21:39

rescuestaffords wrote:Is he 10 months like your profile says? Has he been castrated?

He's 10 months yes, and he's still intact. We wanted to wait a bit longer before getting him done. Do you think it will help?
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02 2013, 21:47

If Ralph is as good as gold off lead with other dogs, and is also OK on the lead when he allowed to say hello to the other dog, then it sounds like fear aggression to me (he knows he can't run away if the other dog is aggressive), especially if the other dog's owner says "No, Ralph can't say hello to my dog". The other dog in this case may be giving off aggression vibes of his own, which Ralph picks up.

I may be wrong - hopefully others will be able to help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Thu Jan 03 2013, 11:01

Thanks Lynda.

No other ideas on this then? I guess I'll get a Behaviourist?
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 11:34

Jellytot wrote:
rescuestaffords wrote:Is he 10 months like your profile says? Has he been castrated?

He's 10 months yes, and he's still intact. We wanted to wait a bit longer before getting him done. Do you think it will help?

No, it won't make any difference at all. As Lynda says, it sounds like a form of fear aggression, or maybe it should be 'unsure' aggression. He may well feel that (a) he is at a disadvantage on lead & (b) you need protecting!

Try & keep calm (easier said than done). If necessary, when you see another dog start to sing a cheerful song to keep your stress levels down. You might not think you're stressed, but he'll pick up on even the slightest adrenalin rise & will react!

Keep doing what you're doing by asking other people if he can say hello, and work on getting him to sit still & watch you as other dogs go past.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Thu Jan 03 2013, 11:40

hi

i have exactly the same thing with Ozzy although I have only had him 6 weeks as a rescue dog. I have never dared to let him off theh lead yet as I am fearful he may eat other dogs. He is a little better with smaller dogs ( not much though) if you find a solution please let me know, I ahve tried to be calm, walk straight past, tried watch but nothing works as he is too interested in the other dog than me
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 11:44

Conditioning a dog to change a behaviour can take a long time, especially with a rescue dog as you don't always know why they are acting the way they are!

Patience & consistency may work well, but it may take some months to really get on top of it.

Some staffords, however, are naturally dog aggressive, and this is something you may need to face up to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Thu Jan 03 2013, 12:04

Caryll wrote:Try & keep calm (easier said than done). If necessary, when you see another dog start to sing a cheerful song to keep your stress levels down. You might not think you're stressed, but he'll pick up on even the slightest adrenalin rise & will react!

This makes perfect sense. On the occasions the owner says come over, I kind of say to Ralph, look Ralph, we can say hello. Good boy, or something like that and it does seem to calm him. On the occasions this has happened, he has not growled. Thinking about it further to your comment Caryll, it’s when I’m quiet that the issues arise.

I guess I will have to make myself look a bit of a wally (something which comes naturally to me so I’m told!) and sing or talk calmly. My mum and dad who have Ralph on a Tuesday for us, and keep him on lead all the time because they are nervous about letting him off, say they have never had any issues.

I will keep talking and singing, and also treating(?) when we see other dogs. Wish me luck!

It’s good to know I’m doing the right things sort of! I would hate to think it was something I have done, although he must be picking something up from me.

Thank you.

Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 12:10

Jellytot wrote:I guess I will have to make myself look a bit of a wally (something which comes naturally to me so I’m told!) and sing or talk calmly.

I've had over 40 years of looking like a wally when I'm out with my dog! You get used to it! Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 20:42

I do wish you luck with Ralph, but it sounds as if you are doing everything right and the more he meets friendly dogs the more confident Ralph will become. If you KNOW that a dog you come across is aggressive then try to keep Ralph's concentration on you through treats etc and the good advice above and just walk on by; again Ralph's self-confidence should grow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Sun Jan 06 2013, 09:15

Guys, I am really happy.

Just got back from a walk, just Ralph and I. Over the field we saw a total of 5 other dogs. Not all together...

Ralph was on lead the whole time, which is where I was having problems.

The first was a border terrier, off lead. He came over to say hello. I was thinking 'oh sh*t!' But was saying in my lovely happy, I don't care doggy voice 'oh, good boy Ralph, you going to say hello...'

Ralph and the dog said hello, I had a chat with the lady and we walked on. No problems. Smile

The next was 3 dogs together, we see on a regular basis. 2 greyhounds which are always on lead as they are DA, and they walk with a lady with a small spaniel of some kind. The spaniel comes over and Ralph said hello nicely, with me saying good boy etc. I wasn't too bothered about this one, as we see them quite a bit and Ralph doesn't seem to mind the spaniel. Never the less, there were no issues. Big Grin

Then we meet a Cairn terrier who I've never seen before. As we walk towards them with me singing (thanks Caryll - what a wally I looked) the lady said her dog might not be friendly. With that he started growling at Ralph. Basically just what Ralph does. So I had to pull Ralph away which is when I get the problems. I continued praising Ralph and he didn't make a sound. Laughing

I'm so chuffed. So far so good.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm sure the problem is not solved totally, but this has been a massive boost to me, seeing that something might work in the long run.

applause applause
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06 2013, 14:25

That's great news Smile I'm sure it's helped you feel more confident too, and that in turn will help next time. Really glad it worked. Shame about having to look a bit silly, but hey, it's what needs to be done Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Sun Jan 06 2013, 15:30

Well done to both of you,I might use some of the advises with Debo. Oh,I don't care if I look silly,I already do - I speak to Debo in Polish in lovely cheerfull voice.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06 2013, 19:14

So glad to hear things are improving, now both your confidences will grow and gradually get better and better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jan 06 2013, 20:38

I always chat away to Rocky when it's just me and him on a walk, always get the right answers strangely too Laughing

Glad to things things are getting better for you too. Rocky and me had a very good day today too.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Mon Jan 07 2013, 09:44

Well done you.
Keep up Ralph's training, it's so important he realises you are far more interesting than other dogs.
silver
silver

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Toots
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 103

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Mon Jan 07 2013, 13:46

Thanks guys. Smile
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07 2013, 15:23

Jellytot wrote: As we walk towards them with me singing (thanks Caryll - what a wally I looked)

Laughing Laughing But it does work, doesn't it? Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Tue Jan 08 2013, 13:55

Yay, glad you are having great luck now. We had these issues with a previous rescue staffy cross we had with no luck. Its horrible when you see a dog coming and stress about it.

Luckily so far with tash we dont have these problems she loves everyone too much at the moment.

Good luck and keep persevering. Apparently there are behaviourists with dogs that they will use to help training with fear aggressive dogs, but doesnt look like you will be needing this now
julespercules
julespercules
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
On lead aggression? UPDATED!!!  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down