Apologies....probs been asked before!

2 posters

Go down

Apologies....probs been asked before! Empty Apologies....probs been asked before!

Post by LynneAJ Sun Dec 02 2012, 21:17

Poppy is generally a well behaved wee pup, well as well behaved as they can be haha! When we first got her she was a bit bitey/mouthy. Don't get me wrong I know its to be expected with a teething pup.

The problem i'm having with her the now is when shes got something she really really likes, such as a meaty bone, her filled kong toy etc, and I even so much as clap her when she has it she starts growling at me.....and if i try take it from her in some instances its like shes standing up to me, growls aggresively etc.

At the moment if she behaves in this way i just calmly take the object from her, tell her no, then place her outside the room fpr five minutes. Am i doing the right thing?? And can someone please enlighten me why she behaves in this way??

Sorry for all the questions but shes my first ever pup so i'm still on a learning curve with it all unsure
LynneAJ
LynneAJ
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy
Dog(s) Ages : 10/9/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Apologies....probs been asked before! Empty Re: Apologies....probs been asked before!

Post by Guest Sun Dec 02 2012, 21:22

LynneAJ wrote:
At the moment if she behaves in this way i just calmly take the object from her, tell her no, then place her outside the room fpr five minutes. Am i doing the right thing??

Yes & no!

I'd calmly take it from her, but then immediately give it back with loads of praise, or swap it for something of more value plus loads of praise. She must always feel confident that she'll get something back or she'll keep on being possessive!

LynneAJ wrote:
And can someone please enlighten me why she behaves in this way??

That's harder to answer. I don't suppose you know how she was fed when she was at the breeder's? If it was from one big bowl, she might have been pushed away by her siblings & had to fight for her food. So now she feels threatened with the loss of her meal.

When you put her feed down, what do you do exactly?

LynneAJ wrote:
Sorry for all the questions but shes my first ever pup so i'm still on a learning curve with it all unsure

Never apologise for asking! A question is never silly if you need to know the answer! thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Apologies....probs been asked before! Empty Re: Apologies....probs been asked before!

Post by janey Sun Dec 02 2012, 21:29

If she lets you take it, teach drop and leave, take it away, once she has sat give it back, let her have it again, then get her focused on you and drop and leave. Place the toy on the floor and get her to leave and stay, leave it a few seconds and tell her to get it. She will soon learn that to leave is a reward and so on.

Its all fun training, and yes your doing things right Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by LynneAJ Sun Dec 02 2012, 21:32

Ooh never thought of it in that way before Carryl....will defo do that when i take it from her, as u say by taking it away completely it would be a vicious circle!

Don't know in what manner she was fed before i got her if i'm being honest. I got her at 9 weeks but she had been with another family from 7 weeks old so dunno if that has anything to do with it??

When i feed her, as in her meals. I make her sit while i prepare it, she automatically sits anyway when she sees me with her bowl, and when i go to put it on floor i was told to make her wait a minute or so on it
LynneAJ
LynneAJ

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy
Dog(s) Ages : 10/9/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 02 2012, 21:36

Getting her to wait a few seconds is enough, it doesn't have to be long.

Try putting half her food down, and then once she starts eating, drop little bits into her bowl until she has the full amount. That way she'll associate your hand as a good thing to have near her when she's eating.

I tend to gently move a pup away from its bowl, mid feed, with a quiet but firm "leave" and then say "ok" and let them go again. However, if she's already guarding her food, I wouldn't do that right now. Try adding food first.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 02 2012, 22:01

Agree with Caryll on this one. Suki was extremely fod aggressive when we first got her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down