Mouthing

2 posters

Go down

Mouthing Empty Mouthing

Post by janemac Sat Dec 01 2012, 18:34

Hiya,

I have had Max for a week now. We rehomed him from the SSPCA. He is just a year old and had been in the rescue since he was 6 months old. He had no training, don't think he'd been on a lead before and didn't even know his name or how to play.

The only thing he does which I am trying to change is that he gets a bit 'mouthy' when exciteable... Sad

He does the kinda mouthy thing that puppies do. I say 'a a a' in my stern voice and he stops straight away, but today he played with a ball for the first time and it was all going so well til I said how great he was and went to give him a stroke and he turned and nipped my hand...
He didn't do it in an aggressive way at all but I want to make sure that he gets out of doing it...

I am exercising him sooooo much off and on the lead and going to different places and trying not to over excite him. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this behaviour he has?

Thanks! Big Grin
janemac
janemac
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Max(Staffie cross), Timmy (collie cross)
Dog(s) Ages : Max: 1, Timmy: 7
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 15

http://www.landhallowcrafts.net

Back to top Go down

Mouthing Empty Re: Mouthing

Post by Guest Sat Dec 01 2012, 18:36

I've got very similar kind of problems with Tommy and we have owned him from a puppy , you just have to work hard an be consistent . He loves you so much it really is just excitement

Back to top Go down

Mouthing Empty Re: Mouthing

Post by Mark Sat Dec 01 2012, 18:37

we have learned not to disturb when playing with balls or a bone. Some dogs will let you have the ball etc some wont. Ive been nipped by Miley once when i went for her ball,now i just ask her to bring it and she does but wont part with it. Your doing the correct thing already a firm no when it happens and he will learn
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down