How do you think the press see staffies?

+3
Kathy
Mark
barrysmiff
7 posters

Go down

How do you think the press see staffies?  Empty How do you think the press see staffies?

Post by barrysmiff Wed Nov 28 2012, 12:25

How are staffordshire bull terriers viewed by the press?
barrysmiff
barrysmiff
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : 10
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

How do you think the press see staffies?  Empty Re: How do you think the press see staffies?

Post by Mark Wed Nov 28 2012, 12:31

It all depends what the dog has done. I think the only bad press is when the dog attacks some one. Then again I've never seen anything in the press about a staffy doing some thing good
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

How do you think the press see staffies?  Empty Re: How do you think the press see staffies?

Post by Guest Wed Nov 28 2012, 12:58

The press will view anything in any way that will sell papers.

At the moment the public 'enjoy' reading about dangerous dog attacks, so the press will play on that & portray staffords as dangerous dogs. If, however, someone like the Queen were to get a stafford they would change their tack & say what wonderful family dogs they are! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Nov 28 2012, 13:07

I dont read tabloid newspapers but what I have seen posted on this forum sadly the Staffy has not received the recognition it deserves.

We all know what loving, loyal and happy friends we have in the Staffy and this as said by Caryll does not sell newspapers. It does seem that that the British public gets some kind of sick, twisted pleasure from reading upsetting story about dogs attacking children and adults alike.

Until this perception changes we have to put up with the bad press story's. We can but try to educate the masses of ill informed tabloid readers out there.

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by barrysmiff Wed Nov 28 2012, 13:12

thanks everybody Smile
barrysmiff
barrysmiff

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : 10
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 28 2012, 18:18

as everyone else says the press are rubbish towards staffies and will show a picture of a pitbull type growling and snarling in a blood curdling way and then say staffy type , when it could have even been a BC , or a JRT involved , at this point in time I would gladly shoot any journalist I could find, they are the scaremongerers that make the weak minded people think they have a dangerous dog on their hands and assist greatly in filling up the shelters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Thu Nov 29 2012, 09:11

Well one particular rag rolls out the same old staffie photo everytime they report anything to do with dog attack stories. They never mention its a staffy sneezing at a show...
So in honesty i dont think they care at all as long as they sell papers
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by pal Thu Nov 29 2012, 09:19

Nowdays for the press is fashionable to advertise about dangerous staffies especially if there is big picture of a snarling one the sales go up.
Remember when it was fashionable to go against GSD, then Rottys, then Dobs...
I wonder what breed they will move onto next?
pal
pal
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by iamajc Sat Dec 01 2012, 15:42

My local paper in plymouth runs quite a lot of stories using the Staffordshire type dog quote and then as the site allows commenting on stories you can read all the negative comments usually from the same people, What I have found is that none of them know anything about the breed whatsoever, and spout off on various stories, including accusing the paper of sensationalising other stories, I then point out the fact that they are always accusing the paper of sensationalising stories and do they think the paper is not doing the same with this story...
I found a post on here yesterday about the policedog Staffie and have saved the link so I can post it to the next Staffie story. Big Grin
iamajc
iamajc
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Storm
Dog(s) Ages : about 7 was a stray
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Sat Dec 01 2012, 21:49

Having worked as a national newspaper journalist for almost a decade in the past, I'll tell you this: the press sees anything as fair game and tailors that according to the mileage in the story - emotive stories where many people could potentially be affected score highly.

I got out of it.
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down