Keegan is kinda possessive, should i worry?

3 posters

Go down

Keegan is kinda possessive, should i worry? Empty Keegan is kinda possessive, should i worry?

Post by sarahvallie1 Tue Nov 27 2012, 15:59

So i have my three dogs, Keegan was added last, about a month ago

He has gained a bit of weight, and is pretty much second in command of the dogs behind Bella.

My situation is this. If i am dong something, he is near or on me. I love him to bits, so it's no problem. He never tries to push the kids out or move them away from me, but if the other dogs come close, he initiates a game that incidentally pushes them farther away from me. If he's on my lap, he stretches out so the other dogs have no choice but to lie next to me.

If i am kneeling in front of the couch folding laundry or something, he lays across my calves.

Is this something i should address? Socialization wise, i have taken him to the local dog park several times ( he has to go in the big dog section because he is too rough with the little dogs, as well as too loud in his roughhousing, so people seem to carry on if i take him in the small dog bit). He plays well with the dogs, and whenever he comes across a bully breed, they are squealy screamy growly and otherwise delighted with each other. Both of the boys run to me for protection whenever they are overwhelmed, but so far no guarding me at the park.

Anyway, i knew he was going to be more smoochy than the others, but iss he setting up to be my "protector" and should i worry about it?

Thanks Staffy parents Smile

sarahvallie1
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Keegs, Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 4 mo, 16 mo
Dog Gender(s) : male, female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Keegan is kinda possessive, should i worry? Empty Re: Keegan is kinda possessive, should i worry?

Post by Mark Tue Nov 27 2012, 16:04

our dog follows wherever we go and sits between us on the couch. They are very affectionate dogs and some just like more contact than others. I dont think its anything to worry about unless he gets aggressive about it
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Keegan is kinda possessive, should i worry? Empty Re: Keegan is kinda possessive, should i worry?

Post by sarahvallie1 Tue Nov 27 2012, 16:06

thank you!! i will watch him closely.

sarahvallie1

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Tue Nov 27 2012, 16:22

I would keep an eye on it because it is a form of dominance and needs to be kept in check so it doesn't get out of hand. We have a dog who does this (Tali) and she is not aggressive to the other dogs but does push in between us and them when we are stroking or playing with them. I would correct this behaviour, what I do is push her further away when she does it and that way she realises that she will only get further away from what she wants by being a bully! She still does it every now and then but its much better.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahvallie1 Tue Nov 27 2012, 18:05

good idea Smile thanks for your reply

sarahvallie1

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down