Pixee limps worse

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pixee limps worse Empty Pixee limps worse

Post by Staffy lover Sun Nov 25 2012, 16:38

I have mentioned in various posts, that Pixee has a limp. When she had her canine out, as she was too stressed, they couldnt find anything, and did say, when they stressed they tend to not show the pain. She has been rested. All has been going well, apart from two weeks ago, a tug of rope play with hubby, the pain showed up in the early hours of the morning, with Pixee crying out. After a massage, she was fine, runnning round, but I went up the vets to let them know and they gave me some Megacam painkillers (Spelling?) For one week she has been brillant. Except for Saturday morning when she jumped off our bed, it all came back, holding her leg out at a 45 deg angle. I was in tears as I knew she was in pain. Hubby came home at that point, and said she did cry out when I picked her up. Vet was closed, I gave her some painkillers, and waited for 2 hours to see if she got better, which she did, so I didnt bother getting hubby or son to ring the vets out of hours line, as I was taking her up tomorrow without fail. Today she is worse, whinning alot. We have had to carry her out for toilets, she is not moving much. Will eat anything we give her, but wont go to her bowl or water, so water is being brought to her too. Got son to ring the out of hours vets, we were told that all they could do today is give her painkillers, which we have, and to bring her in tomorrow. She wont put any weight on her leg if possible, then other times for a few minutes she will walk on it and the limp is there but not as bad, so confusing. Is it possible she could have broke her shoulder bone jumping off the bed with an already soft tissure injury which is what I was told it possibly was a month ago. Son did touch a point of her chest, you know there the top legs meet, they have a hollow each side, hope I am explaining ok, he started to massage that spot, and she did cry out. After one toilet trip, where I carried her in and out, it did hurt her to do the lady wee wee thing, and she stood there holding her leg out at that angle, I just cried. When she is walking on it, its not straight at all, the leg is, but from the shoulder its at an angle, does that make sense? Has anyone had that problem? She is going to the vets first thing, but some ideas might help too.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Pixee limps worse Empty Re: Pixee limps worse

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25 2012, 16:51

That amount of pain usually isn't muscular, so its either ligament or bone. All you can do right now is keep her comfy until morning and keep her hydrated. Hope she feels better & tomorrow you get it sorted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sun Nov 25 2012, 17:12

Gosh, why didn't the vet xray if he suggested a break ?!
Sounds incredibly painful for her, and we all know staffys have a high pain threshold. I do hope the vet investigates more tomorrow and u don't get fobbed off with painkillers Sad

The poor love, all the best x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Nov 25 2012, 19:36

Going through a similar thing myself, although mine is not in any noticeable pain, thats the bit that bothers me with your case. Let us know what the vets says Xx

This is my story so far, hence why the pain she is in worries me

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t26620-moo-s-progress?highlight=moos+progress
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25 2012, 21:29

Sending all best wishes for Pixee - poor little girl.

Do let us know how she gets on at the vets.

>Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Nov 26 2012, 15:38

Been to the vets at 2.10pm today, and to make matters worse, there was no limping today, which is why I have been following Moos progress. However leaving the vet, there was some slight limping but no pain that I could see which is mostly how it has been apart from two weeks ago and the whole weekend. The vet examined her, and she showed no pain what so ever. She is booked in tomorrow for X rays, to rule out any chips of the bone and anything that should show up on a x ray. I did mention that when we first had her, I felt a tiny rice like shape around that area, as she was underweigh, then I couldnt find it anymore. They are going to check that its not her mico chip that may have moved, it should show up on the x ray too. And I was allowed to take her for a short lead walk too. Which I have done, and she loved it, and is now resting bless her. So we go from there tomorrow. I feel happy that something is being done, cos of the pain she was in all over the weekend, so I know there is something wrong. Will keep you posted too on this. Thank you all >Big Grin<
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Nov 26 2012, 17:52

Good luck tomorrow Lynn, I will certainly be following your progress, pretty much in the same boat! Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:33

Left Pixee in tears, as she was so stressed and when me and son walked out the door, she tried to follow us, big eyes, ears back, and just crying. Hubby should be ringing them about now, so should know whats what.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:43

Well I have had a text, off hubby saying we have an appointment at the vets at 5.50pm tonight and pick Pixee up too. And he says he knows nothing thats why we are going at this time. I have just texted back saying, cant we get in any earlier, cos thats a long wait for poor Pixee and I need to know. Crying or Very sad
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:48

Aww hun, fingers crossed and wishing good news x
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:52

The waiting isn't nice, I'm lucky as I'm at work and trying not to think about it >Big Grin<
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:58

Thanks, just hard waiting round, I do work from home, and all I see is no Pixee jumping on my laps for a cuddle in the office, no bringing me ropes for some teeth flossing, and all her toys all over the house. Sad

Fingers crossed for you Janey >Big Grin<
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Tue Nov 27 2012, 14:40

One happy mummy for the time being, Pixee is now home. Hubby did ring for me to see if we could pick her up earlier with her being such a stress head at vets. She is now fast asleep in her chair in the conney. Have done her rice and chicken for when she wakes Love Struck . Me and hubby still have to go back at 5.50pm to talk to the vet, so I will know more then. Son will stay with Pixee.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Nov 27 2012, 15:18

Thats great news, I still haven't heard anything yet Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Nov 27 2012, 21:02

So what has the vet said??
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Nov 28 2012, 13:46

Well good news and bad news if it is that. The good news is all bones are fine. The bad news is they can see an area of small bone grown around her shoulder where her leg meets, it shouldnt be there. They did say cos we dont know her history, it would be injuries related............ angry Where ever that is the cause of her pain reminds to be seen. Could be a nerve trapped too around that area, but only way to check that is by having a dye injectioned and a MIR scan, we looking at 2K . Crying or Very sad However it might not ever be that, but at least we have ruled out broken bones, chips, ever the mico chip moving (it has abit). They can refer us, but want to try this first, 8 weeks of rest. Now I know Janey has been through some of this. But bearing in mind I am deaf, and me and hubby were there, I understood all of it being said re the rest, however hubby said I didnt saying the rest was 24/7 and no movements except for toilets and she was best off in a cage for 24/7. I was like, No, she can greet us and move to her water bowl. You see the vet mentioned a cage thats why. To cut a long story short, I went back up today to ask a few more questions and the reason the cage was mentioned is they know most dogs cannot lie still for periods of time, where as Pixee can as I confirmed this morning. She was getting very confused and scared this morning over what she could and couldnt do, e.g. one was to stay on mat and not get up to greet us, I was against that, for one, when she is verbally told off, she is told to wait on her mat, so she is thinking, I am told off but why. Also theres her happy feel secure area, the sunroom which she loves her chair, and will spend many hours sleeping on there, and its there she stays when we go out as she can see us come and go and is very happy in there. I wanted her to still feel happy and be allowed to greet us by getting up, the vet has said all this is acceptable, as long as she doesnt jump up and down off her chair, I have put a very firm cushion there for her so its like one step up to her chair. She is confined to one room a time with me, unless she wants to stay downstairs. Stairs are banned, she is to be carried up and down. No walking. No rough playing, no ball playing, no rope playing. Its no wonder I really got so upset at her happy secure place being taken off her too, as I know this would destroy her and make her very unhappy and what that would led to, you know destroying other things that she never has in the home. So she is allowed to stay in her happy secure place whenever she wants so long as she rests, which she does. At the moment, she is fast a sleep in her bed in my office. She is doing well for whats been taken away. As theres no walking either, I mentioned if she is allowed to move to greet us, move to have a fuss and then lie down to rest, it would help her frame of mind in that I wouldnt have to risk taking her for a 5 min walk to calm her down. (The vet did suggest that if she went on a crazy hour thing) so fingers and paws crossed that this does help the recover period. We go back in 3 weeks time for an update. I am happy to say her limp looks much better today, she has not had her normal walks since saturday, so fingers crossed.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 28 2012, 14:12

Fingers, toes & everything else crossed that you don't need to get scans etc done. Hopefully the complete rest will see her good again.

>Big Grin< to you & Pixee!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29 2012, 20:56

Hi Lynn, I have been forcibly offline since sunday and don't know how long this connection will last, but as well as worrying about Janey and Moo I have also been worrying about you and Pixee.

I hope it doesn't come down to MRI scans (might be worth checking with your insurer in advance). Has the vet, in view of the x-rays, ruled out arthritis? I do know (well a doctor told me that when I had neck problems) that new bone is laid down where it shouldn't be sometimes, to compensate for wear and tear on the original joint.

I am wishing you and Pixee all the best luck in the world to get this sorted out, I know you'll keep us in touch. Meanwhile, all >Big Grin< >Big Grin< >Big Grin< and good vibes coming your way from me and Kuchar.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Nov 29 2012, 21:07

Oh mate I am so sorry and yes I feel your stress! I puppy proofed my flat, no stairs thankfully but lifted on/off the bed.

I think I new Moo's problems where worse than just muscles/ligaments, so try not to worry as yet.

Yes excess bone is a sign of the cartilage being worn away, they create this excess bone as compensation, which leads to arthritis.

But, rest her as advised, I did 6 weeks of it in total just logged the last 4.

Whatever happens, your doing the right thing, as much as it hurts to do it and the guilt you feel. Doesn't last forever.

I so hope all works out for you, in whatever respect Xx

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Nov 29 2012, 21:09

And for now, just for these few weeks, totally limit her, you'll never know if i is just muscle or not XX
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Fri Nov 30 2012, 10:06

Thats a very good point Lynda and Janey. Although the vet have said theres no degenerative joint disease showing and all her bones showed seem clean and smooth. They saying they dont think the grown is causing it. Lynda, good question to left for Janey in her thread, re the limp is caused by arthritis is that it gets better with excise, funny enough, when Pixee has done her leg in, after a nice massage, and a rest, she is back to her normal self, running etc, no limp and no pain. Its only the last two times, and that weekend last week when she leaped over me off the bed, it is a high bed, (4 poster) that she badly hurt her limp again, just after it was better too. She appears to not limp as the day goes on now. They were thinking about bicipital tenosynovtit etc? Anybody has experience of this? They did say that her shoulder on exam does seem hotter and slighty thickened, but has full movement but tenses when in full extenstion or flexion. I am pulling my hair out because I know excise has held, but we have to rest. Lets hope this is all that is needed, any advice is welcome, as I go back on the 18th Dec, be nice if I can ask some more questions too. As deep down my gut is telling me Pixee needs her walks to get better, but I am not ever going to risk that. It does appear to me, that jumping on her shoulder, and any weight pulling seem to hurt her, e.g. she loves pulling broken tree branches across the fields (the big heavy ones) , that is putting weight on her shoulders area, tug of rope does the same, that had hurted her too but it wasnt till a few hours later the pain showed up. So what are your views? I would be so lost without this wonder forum and you wonderful people on here. >Big Grin<
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30 2012, 10:36

I've been doing a bit of posting on other (non staffy) forums & what everybody keeps coming up with is Green Lipped Mussel extract to reduce inflammation. Might be worth a try...
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=416&searchterm=green%20lipped%20mussel&rdcnt=1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30 2012, 19:15

Never heard of bicipital tenosynovtit I'm afraid, have you Googled it?

It does sound as if Pixee's problem may well be inflammation (especially as her shoulder seemed hotter and slightly swollen on examination) and if her shoulder tenses on full extension or flexion, it sounds as if Pixee is "resisting" the discomfort. Caryll's suggestion of green-lipped mussel is certainly worth a try - I've heard good reports of it when used with humans.

Also, if YOU can detect raised heat in her shoulder, if might be worth trying putting a cold compress on it for a short while - it's what we humans do, and I've also done it with horses, although not on dogs.

What I said about exercise seeming to improve a limp was really regarding "wear and tear" type arthritis, where the limp is apparent upon rising from rest due to stiffness, and then eases up, and it seems that your vets have ruled out this type of arthritis. Inflammation however would, I would humbly suggest, respond more to rest and reduction of inflammation.

Good luck Lynn - let us know how you get on. >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Nov 30 2012, 19:17

I have put Moo on youmove, not sure if it helps. You just really are gonna have to keep her rested, until you rule that out, as frustrating as it is Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Dec 03 2012, 09:30

http://www.akcchf.org/assets/files/canine-athlete/Biceps-injury.pdf, thats what bicipital tenosynovtit is all about.

I am going to try the Green Lipped Mussel extract, but will have a word with the vet first as I dont want to mess up the healing process. So far so good. Thursday was the last day Pixee limped. I have stopped giving her the metacam, she had her last lot on Saturday. I was told to only give it to her when she was in pain, but she appears to not be in pain and is very much her lively self. Very very restless, and since our vet did say if we cant keep her calm, we can give her a 10 min walk, she was bouncing off the walls on sunday, and we tried to keep her calm to no valid, so a on lead walk on her collar only, not harness, vet has suggest no harness due to it rubbing on her shoulders, round the trading estate, she was very excited to be out. It has helped her, and I am pleased to say this morning there is no limping and she is nice and calm too.

Janey what is new move?
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Dec 03 2012, 09:42

That sounds like progress, and I can sympathise with them climbing walls but it really is for the best, as hard as it is >Big Grin<

Taking her off the metacam and there being no limp is a really good sign. Youmove is this

http://www.medicanimal.com/product/~yumove/~product_id=103484?gclid=CKbHq9b4_bMCFSbMtAodAXMAKg

I bought it from ebay, and Moo eats them like treats so really easy to feed, not sure if they are helping but the reviews are really good Xx

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 10:01

Yumove contains green lipped mussel extract & according to the company if doesn't interfere with medication.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 10:22

Here's a link to the company that does Yumove. It's cheaper to shop around for it, but there's a lot of info on their site....

http://www.lintbells.com/online-store/1/yumove

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Dec 03 2012, 10:47

Thanks Caryll and Janey. Its sounds brillant. Only time will show if they helping Janey, as you have only just started.

And yes taking Pixee off the megacam and no limping is a good sign. Two more weeks before the check up, and see what we are allowed to do abit more then hopefully. At least Pixee is happy in her self, right now she is sunbathing in the conney in her chair, bless her. Love Struck
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Dec 03 2012, 11:06

I just had to tell myself they could be a lot worse off, there safe warm fed & happy Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 12:29

janey wrote:

I just had to tell myself they could be a lot worse off, there safe warm fed & happy Smile

That's so true - and they have someone who cares!

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Dec 03 2012, 14:38

Caryll wrote:
janey wrote:

That's so true - and they have someone who cares!

Yes so true too. Big Grin
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Dec 03 2012, 14:55

Just bought some devils claw, £10.99 for 30 tablets, I'll let you know if it helps Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Tue Dec 04 2012, 12:02

They should do, as they help my husband so much. Fingers cross >Big Grin<
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 06 2012, 22:51

Hi Lynn, I haven't forgotten you and Pixee during my long 3 weeks of intermitent to the point of NO internet connection.

I hope that you find Pixee improves daily with her supplements - I know you will let us know how she is getting on.

Good luck Lynn and Pixee >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Fri Dec 07 2012, 09:54

Thank you, will keep you all posted. So far still no limp, just very quiet this morning, reckon she is either bored out her brains, or the late night last night has made her tired. She was chewing non stop on her stag bar for a long time. Will do some brain games with her today.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Dec 11 2012, 10:07

Hay Lynn, how is Pixee doing? Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Tue Dec 11 2012, 13:13

Janey, Pixee is doing well, still no limp Big Grin and she hasnt been on the metacam either for well over a week now. Took her out for a little on lead walk not long ago, as she was sick yesterday tea time, think the food is not going through her system quick enough, so I though a gentle walk today would benefit her. The vet has said I could only when needed. Shes a happy girl. Seeing vet next week, and go from there. Her two in one coat like the one you brought for Moo, came today and its brillant, kept her shoulder area so warm too. Its really cold my end, ever I was cold on the walk. How is Moo doing? >Big Grin<
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Dec 11 2012, 17:04

Thats great news! Nice to get them back out and about, I know Moo was so thankful for it and even now she doesn't expect a walk, she now seems to appreciate them more, and acts like a puppy lol!

She's doing fine, always limping but thats something I have to get used too, been out 3 times today, all different short 45min/1hr walks, back to the vets tomorrow for her third injection, but we're doing fine. any idea when you can build up pixee's walks againn? Xx >Big Grin<
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Dec 12 2012, 13:38

Its great that Moo is back out walking again, sad about the limping, but you know why she does it, and with the injections, it will help. Hoping to build up Pixee walks from next week after the visit to vet. >Big Grin<
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Dec 12 2012, 17:10

When you booked in for next week? Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 12 2012, 18:54

I'm so glad to hear that Pixee is doing well - long may it continue.

And Janey, I'm also glad to hear that the situation is under control and that you and Moo have accepted it and now know what to do to try to alleviate it.

Many happy days ahead for both Pixee and Moo!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Dec 12 2012, 18:56

Cheers Lynda Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Dec 17 2012, 11:14

Sorry not been on for a week, heres the update, the vet was this morning, and guess what, I can start building up her walks and get back to normal now yippeeeeeeeeee and to help with the healing process, there is no rough playing, ropes wars, frisbee, running down the stairs, and our game in the fields of chasing one another cos of the sudden change of direction which puts pressure on her shoulders area for 6 months. No going back to vet either, unless her leg/shoulder hurts again. One happy mummy here and one happy girl when she gets more walks coming Love Struck Thanks for all your support. >Big Grin<
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Dec 17 2012, 13:48

Thats great news, made up for you both >Big Grin< Big Grin thumbs up
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Dec 17 2012, 15:31

Thanks Janey, I just only hope it keeps healing and we dont have to end up having a scan at a later date. So fingers crossed. And guess what, I took her for a half hour walk through the woods half hour ago, her first walk today, and yet somehow with me keeping an eye on her, she managed to find some fox poo to roll in sick . Surprised So home for a shower in the bath, boy it did stink! One good bonus, is as she isnt wearing a harness anymore, I didnt have to wash that either Laughing
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 17 2012, 15:35

Glad you seem to have finally turned the corner! Hopefully it'll just carry on getting better now. >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Dec 17 2012, 15:44

Me too Caryll and thanks. Smile
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female