Training with a deaf dog..

4 posters

Go down

Training with a deaf dog.. Empty Training with a deaf dog..

Post by Rachel33 Thu Nov 22 2012, 11:01

SO! I've had a bundle of fun arrive at the centre in the form of an 11 month old entirely deaf and untrained Staffordshire Bull Terrier..

He's completely oversexed and will mount anything that moves, he's a very strong boy and walkers can't even take him out without him making love to their knees for the entire walk...he also panics when you put the lead on and will try to chew his way out of it. The only commands he knows are sit and paw but he's like a whirlwind and getting his attention for long enough is a real nightmare! He is overly friendly and we haven't seen any aggression from him at all yet, tried mixing him with other dogs but again he just mounted them constantly and got himself into some big trouble. He is of course booked in for neuter next week but we know that isn't going to be an overnight success because the hormones take sooo long to leave the body!

Can anyone shed a little light on how to train him before I go out of my mind?! Laughing I'm researching everything that I can but this dog is a mess poor thing!

Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Training with a deaf dog.. Empty Re: Training with a deaf dog..

Post by Guest Thu Nov 22 2012, 11:16

Poor fella! I would say he isn't any more oversexed than any other dog, he's just never been trained not to hump everything in sight! I dont want to s Neutering may help (and I think it's a must for any deaf dog anyway!), but as you say, it's not going to change things overnight.

I don't think you can train him with other dogs around for the time being & play with them will probably have to be curtailed until he's a bit calmer.

Is he ok with a collar? Would a harness be better, he might not object to the lead so much. I wonder if a vibrating collar might help him?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 22 2012, 11:24

I was thinking the same thing caryll, the vibrating collar would help distract him from humping and also teach him to watch.

He probably didn't get a lot of exercise with his old owners im going to assume, so maybe after a lot of regular exercise he will calm down enough to learn. Maybe try to run him ragged for a week then see how his attention span is?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Nov 22 2012, 11:26

The link below may help with the deafness:

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/livingwithadeafstafford.html
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Nov 22 2012, 11:34

Think you might be right... he's just so full on I've never met a dog THAT interested in mounting you for the whole duration of your meeting!! Have asked my boss to order a vibrating collar, so hopefully that will be here soon. He's currently walking on a harness as the straight lead and collar was a no go.. but doesn't seem to have made much difference unfortunately.

As far as I'm aware he was taken from a squat house, but know nothing other than that about his background.

It's actually really difficult to exercise him as he's just so people oriented, no matter how much you ignore or walk away from him he won't go and play.. just humps you at wits end We hoped bringing another dog in for him to play with and burn his energy might help but nope! Also doesn't help that my colleagues sing Barry White songs every time he makes his move Laughing Feel so bad for the poor little mite!

Oooh thanks Kathy, will have a read! Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 22 2012, 13:15

.....naturally you must now call him Barry lol

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Nov 22 2012, 13:21

Good luck Rach, at least he is in good hands now and no doubt you can turn him around Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 22 2012, 14:10

I'm sure now that he is with you and getting exercise and training he needs he will do great. Good luck with the training Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by munschk Sun Nov 25 2012, 13:18

Hmmm.....dont suppose you've tried a spray bottle for the humping? But it sounds like its THAT bad that it probably wouldn't work. We had a pitbull come into the hospital that was the same, humped every moving thing in sight - which was a shame as he was a lovely dog otherwise but people became very reluctant to handle him, as you can imagine.

Otherwise, maybe try exercise him with someone on a bike or roller blades or something similar? Might help to keep him moving enough to tire him out a bit.

Edit: Just reread and saw he's only 11 months old so obviously be careful with my above advice about exercising as he might be a little too young.
munschk
munschk
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hiccup
Dog(s) Ages : 24 November 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 51

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down