janey
Ticklymac
goldie87
barrysmiff
13 posters

Go down

Smile School Project

Post by barrysmiff Wed Nov 21 2012, 14:53

I am doing a project at school on Staffordshire bull terriers since I am a big supporter of them and have one of my own. I was wondering if you would help me get some evidence on this hypothesis I have made:
Looking at the news, I have found that Staffordshire bull terriers are on the dangerous dog list. I am going to investigate: are staffords’ a danger to society?
I would love to hear your views on this topic.
Thank you!
barrysmiff
barrysmiff
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : 10
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Smile Re: School Project

Post by goldie87 Wed Nov 21 2012, 15:02

Staffordshire bull terriers are not actually on the dangerous dogs list.

Section 1 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 prohibits four types of dog:
•the Pit Bull Terrier
•the Japanese tosa
•the Dogo Argentino
•the Fila Brasileiro

Regarding your question, I believe Staffords are not a danger to society if they are brought up and raised the correct way. The reason why people believe they are a danger is due to the irresponsible people that get them as 'status dogs' and bring them up using violence or other negative techniques.

Just like a young baby, if a Staffy is raised with love, patience and respect, it'll be far from a danger to society. Blame people, not the breed.
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Wed Nov 21 2012, 15:13

Stafford bull terriers are only a danger to society if your allergic to dog saliva! Laughing
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Nov 21 2012, 15:28

Hiya, great project to be doing, have a look around the forum and you will see some amazing staffies who are certainly no danger to society, its what's at the end of lead that needs questioning.

Come and introduce yourself here, you get some more responses

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by pal Thu Nov 22 2012, 10:20

Staffies actually are people dogs and love everyone. When you read about a staffy attacking someone, then that poor staffy must have gone through a lot of abuse or through a very sick training from a very sick person.
That's why staffies are easy target for thiefs because they accept everyone and are not naturally wary (hope its spelled that way) of people.
pal
pal
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Nov 22 2012, 10:31

I'm sure you will find lots of information on this forum regarding the Staffordshire Bull Terrier which is not on the dangerous dogs list and I'm sure it never will be.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sar H Thu Nov 22 2012, 10:46

I have only owned a staffy for a few weeks but my view is this:
Staffies are very bouncy and excitable, so can look nasty, especially when they growl whilst playing (Maddie makes a right racket!). They are also VERY strong, with a big bite! If a staffy gets upset or scared they can do a lot of damage quickly. If a staffy is trained to be 'hard' or is mistreated there can be lots of problems.
My parents inherited a chihuahua. She was the snarliest, snappiest, unfriendliest dog I have ever met. Because she was tiny, and all her teeth had fallen out, she was not a problem. If that attitude had been in a larger dog she would probably have had to be put down. She once tried to bite me. If she had been a staffy I would have been hospitalised - as it was, I was just offended.
Sar H
Sar H

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maddie
Dog(s) Ages : about 9
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 22 2012, 10:51

Hey there, what a great project for school!

Rather than leaving the subject open the way you have, why not have a good think & come up with some questions to post on here about the Stafford, and the way the public see them, the way the press see them, and the way they are bred & brought up? Then you'll get a set of answers that will be easier to sift through for your project.

Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 22 2012, 10:57

Caryll wrote:Hey there, what a great project for school!

Rather than leaving the subject open the way you have, why not have a good think & come up with some questions to post on here about the Stafford, and the way the public see them, the way the press see them, and the way they are bred & brought up? Then you'll get a set of answers that will be easier to sift through for your project.

Good luck!

great idea caryll thumbs up
get some facts from the horses mouth so to speak information so hard to find (true factual information)like sbt being on dangerous dogs list (false
post your questions and see if we can get you an A*

WE EVEN HAVE A YOUNG PET EXPERT IN THE MAKING THAT CAN HELP OUT Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Thu Nov 22 2012, 11:28

Yes please do come up with some questions. I am happy to help out. I do have a wary staffie of certain people but once she has got to know you, she is the biggest sofie Love Struck
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Steveb Thu Nov 22 2012, 11:50

What a great project!

Agree with all the above. I would also include some info on the difference between dog aggression and human aggression in Staffords. Two totally different things that I think are misunderstood by the general public.

Due to their original purpose it is not uncommon to find a Stafford that can't stand the sight of other dogs. Yet this same Dog if true to the Stafford temperament will be a complete softy with people. I'll leave you to do the research but look into their original purpose, how they had to live, types of people that owned then, were they kept as part of the family or chained up in yards etc...

A summary of their history and how that shaped the dog we have today goes a long way to counter any argument that a Stafford is a danger to society.

Steveb
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by dave(nobby) Thu Nov 22 2012, 11:54

try this i hope it helps

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=12954

dave(nobby)

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : joker
Dog(s) Ages : 3 yrs
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou&percy :) Thu Nov 22 2012, 12:14

Caryll wrote:Hey there, what a great project for school!

Good luck!

Brilliant idea, I would be more than happy to help Smile

Lou&percy :)
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
School Project  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Percy
Dog(s) Ages : 22 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by barrysmiff Wed Nov 28 2012, 12:13

goldie87 wrote:Staffordshire bull terriers are not actually on the dangerous dogs list.

•the Pit Bull Terrier
•the Japanese tosa
•the Dogo Argentino
•the Fila Brasileiro

Regarding your question, I believe Staffords are not a danger to society if they are brought up and raised the correct way. The reason why people believe they are a danger is due to the irresponsible people that get them as 'status dogs' and bring them up using violence or other negative techniques.

Just like a young baby, if a Staffy is raised with love, patience and respect, it'll be far from a danger to society. Blame people, not the breed.
Yes, I know they're not on the dangerous dog list but it is just a hypothesis/theory which I will follow up in a conclusion saying that they're not on the dangerous dog list etc, but thank you Smile
barrysmiff
barrysmiff

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : 10
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Wed Nov 28 2012, 12:19

I don't think they are dangerous it is down to the owners and how they are reared
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 28 2012, 18:28

Best of luck with your school project and feel free to ask away Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 28 2012, 19:09

Sometimes in the papers when there has been a dog attack on someone there will be pic of a snarling Stafford on the article. When you read the article the dog was i.e a Collie or a JRT Big Grin Good idea for your project!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 28 2012, 19:13

What I meant to say was the press demonise the Stafford and blame them for things they haven't done. Giving the public the assumption they are dangerous dogs. There is some survey about types of dogs that have bitten a child and a Stafford is 27th (nt sure exact figure) on list.

Back to top Go down

Post by Richardspencer Thu Nov 29 2012, 12:40

barrysmiff wrote:
goldie87 wrote:Staffordshire bull terriers are not actually on the dangerous dogs list.

•the Pit Bull Terrier
•the Japanese tosa
•the Dogo Argentino
•the Fila Brasileiro

Yes, I know they're not on the dangerous dog list but it is just a hypothesis/theory which I will follow up in a conclusion saying that they're not on the dangerous dog list etc, but thank you Smile

Just adding to the original post on section 1 and your response. You probably already know if you have read the DDA 1991 that the dogs mentioned above. Are actually banned dogs in the UK. Section 3 (i think) of the DDA refers to any breed of dog as being dangerous if it posses a threat or a person(s) feels threatend by a dog. Regardless of breed. Just thought I'd mention it incase you had not picked up on that. If you have. I appologies.

Richardspencer
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29 2012, 12:47

Richardspencer wrote:Just adding to the original post on section 1 and your response. You probably already know if you have read the DDA 1991 that the dogs mentioned above. Are actually banned dogs in the UK. Section 3 (i think) of the DDA refers to any breed of dog as being dangerous if it posses a threat or a person(s) feels threatend by a dog. Regardless of breed. Just thought I'd mention it incase you had not picked up on that. If you have. I appologies.

Hi Richard. I wonder if you'd post an introduction here.....

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

It's nice to know who we're talking to! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down